Where could I get a full ride or close to a full ride to? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pablo

New

Where could I get a full ride or close to a full ride to?

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:41 pm

3.4 GPA, 165 LSAT. Planning on retaking Oct 2014 anyways (spending this summer studying LSAT rather than building resume). But just in case I am not successful in improving my score, where do you believe I could get a full ride to or somewhat close to one (i.e. 2/3 off tuition). I only want to go to a t14 school to give myself a chance at BigLaw or a prestigious gov job or clerkship, as well as to be competitive in finding a job in a metropolitan area (rather than being forced to find work out in the boonies). However, I have always pictured myself being happiest working as a litigator doing criminal defense/prosecution or personal injury, which you do not need to attend the greatest school for. If I can't improve my LSAT score this summer what are some decent schools that might offer me a scholarship where I could gun for public defense or prosecution? I always figured third tier schools like Seattle University that are still somewhat respectable could possibly offer me a chance at doing this, but then I saw a poster with similar numbers who only got about 50% off from them. Are there any respectable schools (good regional reputation, possible to do PI, PD out of) that would offer me a full ride? Or are my numbers too low?

timbs4339

Gold

Re: Where could I get a full ride or close to a full ride to?

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Bomnom wrote:3.4 GPA, 165 LSAT. Planning on retaking Oct 2014 anyways (spending this summer studying LSAT rather than building resume). But just in case I am not successful in improving my score, where do you believe I could get a full ride to or somewhat close to one (i.e. 2/3 off tuition). I only want to go to a t14 school to give myself a chance at BigLaw or a prestigious gov job or clerkship, as well as to be competitive in finding a job in a metropolitan area (rather than being forced to find work out in the boonies). However, I have always pictured myself being happiest working as a litigator doing criminal defense/prosecution or personal injury, which you do not need to attend the greatest school for. If I can't improve my LSAT score this summer what are some decent schools that might offer me a scholarship where I could gun for public defense or prosecution? I always figured third tier schools like Seattle University that are still somewhat respectable could possibly offer me a chance at doing this, but then I saw a poster with similar numbers who only got about 50% off from them. Are there any respectable schools (good regional reputation, possible to do PI, PD out of) that would offer me a full ride? Or are my numbers too low?
Even if you don't need to be at a T14 to become a ADA/PD, it's still extremely helpful because there's a hierarchy in those fields too. Want to work as a federal public defender (not bad pay if you can swing it) or at the Manhattan DA's office? Helps to have a T14 on your resume as well as demonstrated interest in the field.

SoapyIllusion

New

Post by SoapyIllusion » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Maybe consider San Diego (USD). There employment prospects could be better but if your goal is a full-ride I think you could possibly receive one there. ~Take my advice with a grain of salt as a 0L xD

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:12 pm

Bomnom wrote:3.4 GPA, 165 LSAT. Planning on retaking Oct 2014 anyways (spending this summer studying LSAT rather than building resume). But just in case I am not successful in improving my score, where do you believe I could get a full ride to or somewhat close to one (i.e. 2/3 off tuition). I only want to go to a t14 school to give myself a chance at BigLaw or a prestigious gov job or clerkship, as well as to be competitive in finding a job in a metropolitan area (rather than being forced to find work out in the boonies). However, I have always pictured myself being happiest working as a litigator doing criminal defense/prosecution or personal injury, which you do not need to attend the greatest school for. If I can't improve my LSAT score this summer what are some decent schools that might offer me a scholarship where I could gun for public defense or prosecution? I always figured third tier schools like Seattle University that are still somewhat respectable could possibly offer me a chance at doing this, but then I saw a poster with similar numbers who only got about 50% off from them. Are there any respectable schools (good regional reputation, possible to do PI, PD out of) that would offer me a full ride? Or are my numbers too low?

The spreadsheet is currently down (thanks Google) but I think someone got in ED to Northwestern with something like a 3.4x/172. Every applicant admitted ED at Northwestern gets a $150,000 scholarship which equals about 90% of yearly tuition. In you situation, EDing Northwestern might not be a bad idea, even if it is a school more focused on the commercial side of law.

Lebrarian_Booker

Silver

Post by Lebrarian_Booker » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:45 pm

You would get a full ride at William Mitchell

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Your goals are like saying, "I want to paint my house white, but I feel like I'd be happiest if I painted my house black." Choose this day whom ye shall serve. If you want to work in personal injury or private criminal defense, your priorities should be:

cost >>>>> (x10) >>>>>>> location/ties >>>> bar passage > the aesthetic value of the exterior of the law school > school prestige

If you want to work in biglaw/federal clerkships:

school prestige >>>(x10)>>>> cost > location/ties.

If it's the former, we need to know where you want to work for the next 10-20 years before we recommend anything.

LeninLunchbox

New

Post by LeninLunchbox » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:54 pm

If you're going the low cost of attendance non-t14 route, the most important thing will be where you want to practice. Is it Seattle? If so, even a fullride at say U San Diego probably doesn't make much sense. In a general sense go to the best school that will give you a fullride or close and that feeds into the market you want.

Pablo

New

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:51 pm

Your goals are like saying, "I want to paint my house white, but I feel like I'd be happiest if I painted my house black." Choose this day whom ye shall serve. If you want to work in personal injury or private criminal defense, your priorities should be:

cost >>>>> (x10) >>>>>>> location/ties >>>> bar passage > the aesthetic value of the exterior of the law school > school prestige

If you want to work in biglaw/federal clerkships:

school prestige >>>(x10)>>>> cost > location/ties.

If it's the former, we need to know where you want to work for the next 10-20 years before we recommend anything.
Yeah I know this is kind of a stupid question I am asking. Basically I want to litigate and I am very interested in both criminal and civil litigation. However, I do not want to short change myself by not giving myself an opportunity to work in other areas of law that I may become interested in upon attending law school, i.e. fields that are hard to find out about before you are in law school (though I am doing my best to research as much as I possibly can). Therefore, I am taking the LSAT again to see if I can get into a t14 school to give myself more options. If that plan doesn't work out then I need to be realistic about where I stand. A 3.4 GPA and 165 LSAT aren't going to get me into schools where prestigious outcomes are common enough to merit the high price of tuition it takes to have a sliver of a shot at them. That is okay though, I am perfectly happy working in a small law firm and eating what I kill with PI, or doing public defense or prosecution. I also know public defender and prosecutor jobs aren't guaranteed, but going to a school on a full ride or close to one and gunning for these jobs is an option I am okay with and feel is viable if I strike out on the LSAT retake. Furthermore, who knows if I even do this, maybe I end up being an idiot like everyone else and pay sticker just to go to a t50 school and end up f**ked with debt. I just would like to get some schools in mind that people know are respectable in their region and would make sense to go to on a full ride. And as far as geographic areas and ties go, I really have no preferences except that I would like to work in a city and not anywhere in the south. I don't really have great connections in the field of law and I figure ties aren't as important in bigger cities like LA, Boston, Chicago, Philly, NY, SF, Seattle. Just as long as it isn't in the south! (no offense southerners). I am fully aware of how difficult it might be to get a job without connections and all that, but being a kick ass attorney is my dream and so I'm just trying to make it work out as best I can.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:17 pm

I go to school in a market that is not known to be crazy parochial and lived there for years before applying to school and I still get grilled about ties. Ties matter dude.

So where are your ties?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pablo

New

Post by Pablo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:44 pm

pnw, extended family all in illinois, but I was really hoping to work in boston, ny, dc, or chicago, chi seems fu**cked tho.

Pablo

New

Post by Pablo » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Yeah dumb question, I just need to retake.

Domke

New

Post by Domke » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:53 pm

Do you live in Seattle? If so for how long?

If you can get into UW (your numbers are right on the edge) with in state tuition it's not a bad choice. If I remember they have a decent LRAP. Also they tend to care more about softs with scholarship money than most schools.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Domke wrote:Do you live in Seattle? If so for how long?

If you can get into UW (your numbers are right on the edge) with in state tuition it's not a bad choice. If I remember they have a decent LRAP. Also they tend to care more about softs with scholarship money than most schools.
UW's employment score isn't that very good, and instate sticker is still stupid expensive. I disagree.

UT is like the king of all state schools and I wouldn't endorse sticker there. Let alone a school like UW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pablo

New

Post by Pablo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Yeah this is such a tough and potentially damn expensive decision. But if you wanted to litigate criminal and civil matters in say New York or Chicago, what about schools like Loyola, DePaul, St. Johns, Syracuse, or even T50 schools like University of Wisconsin, University of Illinois, and University of Iowa. I saw on law school transparency that people with numbers similar and even slightly below mine have gotten 80,000 dollar scholarships to Illinois.

Pablo

New

Post by Pablo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:I go to school in a market that is not known to be crazy parochial and lived there for years before applying to school and I still get grilled about ties. Ties matter dude.

So where are your ties?
So what do you mean grilled? Do you really think I would get grilled in a place like Boston, New York, or DC? Couldn't I just say, "Hey it's Boston, great sports, great beer, awesome intellectual scene, what's not to like. I love the east coast and plan on making my life out here, that's why I chose to go to school in this city," and just leave it at that?... What do they say when they grill you? Don't they understand that people wouldn't go to a professional graduate school in a city if they didn't plan on working and living there afterwards? What do they say when they ask about ties? How do you sufficiently quell their doubts?

Fiero85

Gold

Post by Fiero85 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:

UW's employment score isn't that very good, and instate sticker is still stupid expensive. I disagree.

UT is like the king of all state schools and I wouldn't endorse sticker there. Let alone a school like UW.
UVA, Berkeley, and UMich folks might not agree :P

(I know what you meant though)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:14 pm

Fiero85 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

UVA, Berkeley, and UMich folks might not agree :P

(I know what you meant though)
Oh believe me, I'm very familiar with one of those schools.

But yeah, just meant it in a law school context.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”