UCLA vs. Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WhatShouldIDo2

New

UCLA vs. Emory

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:24 pm

Alright, so my girlfriend doesn't believe me when I say that UCLA will give me a better chance at being admitted to a nice law firm. She says all along the East Coast and Atlanta, Emory would be better for getting a job. I really disagree with her, but I thought I would turn to you guys since many of you have done more research than I have in this.

I got into UCLA, I still haven't heard back from Emory but I expect to get in.

Which would you pick and why?

Thank you very much.

Yanky91

Bronze

Re: UCLA vs. Emory

Post by Yanky91 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:45 pm

WhatShouldIDo2 wrote:Alright, so my girlfriend doesn't believe me when I say that UCLA will give me a better chance at being admitted to a nice law firm. She says all along the East Coast and Atlanta, Emory would be better for getting a job. I really disagree with her, but I thought I would turn to you guys since many of you have done more research than I have in this.

Thank you very much.
It really depends on what you want to do and where you want to be. UCLA is super expensive (same with Emory). Without a scholarship, I do not think it is worth it. Both UCLA and Emory are great schools, and you have a good shot at getting a job at a big firm (if that's what you mean by nice firm) from both. Your chances of getting a Biglaw job out of UCLA are higher though. Last year 37.9% of the graduates were employed in law firms consisting of more than 500 lawyers (Which is pretty high. That's like American's overall employment). Emory on the other hand had 23.5% of the class get jobs at firms that employ more than 500 lawyers. In addition, the median private sector starting salary for UCLA is $145,000 whereas for Emory it's $90,000. Overall, you have a better shot at a Biglaw job with a much higher salary coming out of UCLA. In my opinion you should try to squeeze a scholarship out of one of them. Emory is obviously better for a job in Atlanta. I would not pay sticker for either.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:49 pm

East coast or west coast? Southern CA or Atlanta? Cost aside, that seems to be the clear determining factor to me.

Nucky

Silver

Post by Nucky » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:20 pm

Yanky91 wrote:
WhatShouldIDo2 wrote:Alright, so my girlfriend doesn't believe me when I say that UCLA will give me a better chance at being admitted to a nice law firm. She says all along the East Coast and Atlanta, Emory would be better for getting a job. I really disagree with her, but I thought I would turn to you guys since many of you have done more research than I have in this.

Thank you very much.
It really depends on what you want to do and where you want to be. UCLA is super expensive (same with Emory). Without a scholarship, I do not think it is worth it. Both UCLA and Emory are great schools, and you have a good shot at getting a job at a big firm (if that's what you mean by nice firm) from both. Your chances of getting a Biglaw job out of UCLA are higher though. Last year 37.9% of the graduates were employed in law firms consisting of more than 500 lawyers (Which is pretty high. That's like American's overall employment). Emory on the other hand had 23.5% of the class get jobs at firms that employ more than 500 lawyers. In addition, the median private sector starting salary for UCLA is $145,000 whereas for Emory it's $90,000. Overall, you have a better shot at a Biglaw job with a much higher salary coming out of UCLA. In my opinion you should try to squeeze a scholarship out of one of them. Emory is obviously better for a job in Atlanta. I would not pay sticker for either.
Just want to add to the above by saying that UCLA has a higher starting salary but when you're discussing SoCal I think COL has to play a role in your decision making process as well.

Either way, congrats on getting into UCLA! Two great options are not a bad thing to have. Good luck with your decision!

WhatShouldIDo2

New

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:21 pm

AT9 wrote:East coast or west coast? Southern CA or Atlanta? Cost aside, that seems to be the clear determining factor to me.
East Coast for sure. I hate California. I'm ok with going to school here, but I don't want to stay. My heart is for the east coast.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhatShouldIDo2

New

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Yanky91 wrote:

Thank you very much.
Thank you very much for your response. UCLA is giving me about half of tuition in grants. I don't know what's going on with Emory yet. Thank you very much for your response.

WhatShouldIDo2

New

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Nucky wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:

Thank you very much.
Thanks! The COA in UCLA isnt too bad. They're paying half my tuition and I can live my parents (sigh, but free rent woo) since I went there for my undergrad.

Just want to add to the above by saying that UCLA has a higher starting salary but when you're discussing SoCal I think COL has to play a role in your decision making process as well.

Either way, congrats on getting into UCLA! Two great options are not a bad thing to have. Good luck with your decision!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:26 pm

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:54 pm

If you don't want to stay in California, you should not go to UCLA. You should retake if you want biglaw.

By the way, do you mind sharing your numbers? I'm looking at LA and SC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhatShouldIDo2

New

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:45 pm

unodostres wrote:If you don't want to stay in California, you should not go to UCLA. You should retake if you want biglaw.

Sure, my numbers weren't all that great to be honest.

GPA: 3.9
LSAT: 163

I kind of lucked out eh?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:50 pm

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Both are regional schools NOT located in the region you want to practice...where else did you apply?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:53 pm

You have a 3.9? Retake dude and go to Vandy for free or Duke with $$$.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhatShouldIDo2

New

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:57 pm

sublime wrote:
WhatShouldIDo2 wrote:
unodostres wrote:If you don't want to stay in California, you should not go to UCLA. You should retake if you want biglaw.

Sure, my numbers weren't all that great to be honest.

GPA: 3.9
LSAT: 163

I kind of lucked out eh?

Wow. Expected higher for half at UCLA

(No disrespect, of course)
None taken. :)

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:02 pm

URM?

Some awesome $$$ for those numbers.

WhatShouldIDo2

New

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:03 pm

@California: I applied to 16 schools in the top 25.

@Man: I already delayed too much. I just can't anymore ...

@unodos: No URM

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:11 pm

WhatShouldIDo2 wrote:@California: I applied to 16 schools in the top 25.

Cool! Thanks man.

Speaking of delaying. You have to trust these forums when delaying for another year could mean the difference b/w hundreds of thousands of dollars both in saving money and making.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WhatShouldIDo2

New

Post by WhatShouldIDo2 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:15 pm

unodostres wrote:
WhatShouldIDo2 wrote:@California: I applied to 16 schools in the top 25.

Cool! Thanks man.

Speaking of delaying. You have to trust these forums when delaying for another year could mean the difference b/w hundreds of thousands of dollars both in saving money and making.
Yes ... very true. It's something I'll think about tonight.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Retake. UCLA is a non-starter and you can do much better than Emory, especially if "East Coast" means the Northeast.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:57 pm

You would be crazy (i mean that in the real sense of the word) to go to UCLA. If you want to be in the Northeast, go to school up there.

You aren't getting to the Northeast from either of those schools. Use the UCLA scholarship to leverage money from another school.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm

WhatShouldIDo2 wrote:@Man: I already delayed too much. I just can't anymore ...
How long did you study? How rigorously?

Unless you really can't eke out a higher score, you're wasting an amazing GPA. Half-ride to UCLA is great, but you could be going to a much better school with much more money.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Half-ride for a 163 :shock:

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm an in-house attorney that went to Emory.

UCLA for west coast.

Emory for east coast.

Emory doesnt place that well in big law.

If I wanted to maximize chance of big law between those two options I would choose UCLA, but knowing full well I'll end up out west.

Honestly, unless your gf has some sort of amazing job go to UCLA and make her follow. Most relationships in law school do not last anyway, go where you will be hired.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:28 am

I wouldn't spend three years at a Cali law school if I wanted to be on the east coast. The real answer is to retake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”