Ivy or Duke for NC? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
E3to

New

Ivy or Duke for NC?

Post by E3to » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 pm

My choice is between Columbia, Penn, and Duke. I loved Columbia on my visit, but want to eventually practice in Charlotte or the Triangle. I grew up in NC and went to a large public here, so am wondering what kind of reach Columbia or Penn have in this market?

arklaw13

Gold

Re: Ivy or Duke for NC?

Post by arklaw13 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:09 pm

E3to wrote:My choice is between Columbia, Penn, and Duke. I loved Columbia on my visit, but want to eventually practice in Charlotte or the Triangle. I grew up in NC and went to a large public here, so am wondering what kind of reach Columbia or Penn have in this market?
I'd definitely pick Duke with $$ over Columbia/Penn if you want NC. Negotiate as much money as you can from duke.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Duke, absolutely no question. Even at the same cost, Columbia or Penn would be objectively worse choices if you want NC (and more importantly, have strong ties).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:52 pm

How would you know about CLS yet? If you do, that means you ED'd, and you definitely shouldn't break your ED covenant for Duke.

Assuming this is a hypo, I'd have to ask, what kind of practice are you looking for? I dont know the NC market well enough to be certain, but if you want a large transactional practice, Penn and CLS are a better way to get there (although in NYC). Obviously Duke would dominate the local market, but make sure you know what type of work/firms that entails.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

I just want to point out that "ivy" isn't a thing to consider for law schools.

achilles470

New

Post by achilles470 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm considering the same question. Duke w/$$ for NC practice (i'm from the area and have a couple legal ties) seems like such a good deal. Especially w/low cost of living and healthier work/life balance compared to NYC. I just don't know if I want to completely commit to NC just yet.

What kind of law do you want to practice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”