California Kid Advice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ChiliPalmer

New

California Kid Advice

Post by ChiliPalmer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:51 am

Hey guys,

Just need a bit of advice. Currently at Cal State Northridge and I'm looking at a 3.0-3.1 by the end of my time here. I know I'm probably going to get shat on for saying that I haven't taken my LSAT yet, but I know that as of right now, its pretty tough to get into any T14 school unless I absolutely molest the LSAT.

I want to work in Cali, not too interested in big law. Hoping to open a private practice, perhaps even work with my uncle, who has his own practice in L.A before I do that. I don't mind having to go to a school outside of California but I am wondering what could be a realistic option for me.

Nova

Platinum

Re: California Kid Advice

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:54 am

Score 167+ and hope for USC/UCLA

Score 169+ and hope for GULC/NU/UVA

alternatively, go to a lower ranked local cali school like Loyola with a big scholarship and bank on working for your family.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:00 am

if you def don't want big law and can def work for your uncle, then maybe go Nevada/Arizona/Arizona State if you get much better offers

assuming you score at least their median and preferably a few points above.

ChiliPalmer

New

Post by ChiliPalmer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:05 am

Nova wrote:if you def don't want Big law and can def work for your uncle, then maybe go Nevada/Arizona/Arizona State if you get much better offers

this assumes you score at least their median and preferably a few points above.
I had thought about places like the ones you mentioned and even the ones that aren't that close like Florida State.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 am

depends how much of a lock working for your uncle is.

If its not a lock, attending a school not in cali is a bad idea. Youd be better off in state to network during school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ChiliPalmer

New

Post by ChiliPalmer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:13 am

Nova wrote:depends how much of a lock working for your uncle is.

If its not a lock, attending a school not in cali is a bad idea. Youd be better off in state to network during school.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about myself. Only reason why I can't say that it's a for sure lock is mainly because I don't want him to HAVE to take me in because we're family.

I've made some connections in college already, many of whom have became close friends of him that want to practice law. Our goal is to gain experience in our respective atmospheres and eventually start a practice together after having some financial security.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:12 am

You understand how hard it is to go solo right out of law school, right? You have no money, no clients, and no experience. JDUnderground is probably the place for you to see how hard it is to go out on your own.
ChiliPalmer wrote:
Nova wrote:depends how much of a lock working for your uncle is.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about myself. Only reason why I can't say that it's a for sure lock is mainly because I don't want him to HAVE to take me in because we're family.

I've made some connections in college already, many of whom have became close friends of him that want to practice law. Our goal is to gain experience in our respective atmospheres and eventually start a practice together after having some financial security.
You need a better plan than this. What "atmospheres" do you and your friends want to go into? Either way, having no or minimal debt is an absolute imperative unless you have rich parents, because you will be trying to get small business loans.

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:03 pm

ChiliPalmer wrote:absolutely molest the LSAT.
:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”