Baylor vs. OU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grungy89

Bronze

Baylor vs. OU

Post by grungy89 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm really down to these two choices: Baylor w/ half-ride (stips of course) and OU w/ presumably a more generous scholarship (only recently admitted so no $ offer in mail yet). OU would be out of state and Baylor is private.

Anyone, please suggest one over the other. I'm almost resorting to commit to whichever one has the better football record, although obviously OU's eventual $ offer could make or break the decision.

What should I be weighing more? Cost? Employment? COL?

I've also yet to rule out simply not going to law school and just working.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Re: Baylor vs. OU

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

The value of these schools is their alumni network, which is going to be primarily within 200 miles. Do you want to live in OKC or Tulsa, or DFW, Austintonio, or Houston?

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 pm

If you're looking in the 40s range and want to stay in Texas, then I would seriously consider UH and SMU over Baylor--the employment numbers of both are stronger because they are situated in major markets.

If you're choosing between OU and Baylor, Baylor is the easy choice, IMO. The OU employment numbers are soft, and the average salaries in OK are abysmal. At Baylor you at least have a shot at the Houston, Dallas, and Austin (lol) markets.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 pm

TJISMYHERO wrote:If you're looking in the 40s range and want to stay in Texas, then I would seriously consider UH and SMU over Baylor--the employment numbers of both are stronger because they are situated in major markets.
Yes. Also, Baylor sounds like a hellhole.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grungy89

Bronze

Post by grungy89 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:02 am

I would be perfectly happy to work in Texas for my entire career. in Oklahoma.... not as much, but I would still be content to have a stable job in OKC or Tulsa or any decently sized city for that matter. I'm much more interested in job security/stability than in earning potential.

for the record I can't stand Austin! That city has nothing to contribute that justifies the ungodly traffic on I-35

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 am

Baylor is miserable. If you want Texas, retake until you can get UT / SMU / UofH.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:45 am

Is UH not an option? You're a veteran, right?

Your idea of passing on law school and working is much better than either of these two options.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:The value of these schools is their alumni network, which is going to be primarily within 200 miles. Do you want to live in OKC or Tulsa, or DFW, Austintonio, or Houston?
This post has two really glaring things wrong with it

1. It implies that going to a school in a place where you don't have ties is fine. Generally, it's not.

2. It implies that Baylor can put you in a good position to snag a job in a large Texas city. Generally, it won't.

Kalvano pretty much nailed it I think.

That's way too much to pay for Baylor and out of state at OU is a bad decision. If you can't get better options then working instead of law school is the way to go I think.

How about a retake and targeting UT (or, at least, SMU/UH)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Decide this Thursday night at 7:30 pm on Fox Sports 1.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Decide this Thursday night at 7:30 pm on Fox Sports 1.
The OP preemptively stole your joke, brejhseph

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Decide this Thursday night at 7:30 pm on Fox Sports 1.
The OP preemptively stole your joke, brejhseph
Not really, brah.

grungy89

Bronze

Post by grungy89 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:24 pm

I'll give him credit for an original joke. Gotta think Baylor's gonna win it. Their 700 yds of offense a game is unbelievable.

In regard to TxTech and UoH. I've aplied to TTech, but have been told by them that I will not get a decision until after new year's day.I'm fairly certain I should get in there, which would qualify for Hazlewood Act exemption (whichever of you snooped my other threads to find that I was a veteran). I shouldve mentioned that Baylor was for Spring admission, and I'm inclined to go there, so I'm wanting to be able to plan ahead. Ou is the only other school that has accepted me thus far, and they did so very quickly, so I am hoping that their offer is very generous ( I'm above both medians and such). Funny, OU has sent me instructions on paying my seat deposit but no offer yet.

In addition to those I have applied binding ED to UT-Austin, but I have the feeling they will reject me, but more importantly will do so at or very close to their quoted deadline of Dec. 31st. Obviously, UT-Austin would be obligatory (let alone the best choice given all variables), but I feel the need to decide within the next two weeks or so.

Starting Baylor in Spring and graduating a full year earlier than anywhere else I could go sounds pretty good. I've done all the math and worst case scenario at Baylor would mean about $60,000 is financed....which is far from the crippling 6 figure debt that makes headlines out of Starbucks baristas.

Going off of what I have right now it's Baylor vs. OU (pending offer). Does being above both medians usually guarantee handsome fin aid? What do you guys think?

I know everyone talks about how hellish Baylor is and most of you guys still prefer it OU, but seem to disapprove of both. Where all are you guys applying?

oh, yeah... also have an app completed at SMU, which I really just view as a Baylor-equivalent in Dallas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:02 pm

I wouldn't choose Baylor. Half tuition is still really expensive, gives you a slim chance at a legal job at all, and virtually no chance at a job that can pay back the debt you will incur. You also have stipulations; Baylor's atmosphere is one of the most cut-throat environments out there. Also, if you attend UH or SMU, you are in a large city with a big legal market. They place much better in their respective markets than Baylor will.

Don't know much about OU, but if you are okay with staying in Oklahoma, I would definitely choose that over Baylor.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:07 pm

I don't think 60K to live and go to school in a hellish environment and end up with questionable job prospects is worth it. Honestly, I can't think of a scenario where I would attend Baylor.

UT, SMU, and UH are the worthwhile schools in TX to attend, all others would need some pretty specific circumstances to make them worthwhile and from what you're saying, I don't see any reason to attend Baylor. From everything I've heard the school is unneccessarily competitive, screws over their students when they try to get jobs, and doesn't really have a market to feed into. No thank you.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:22 pm

grungy89 wrote:I'll give him credit for an original joke. Gotta think Baylor's gonna win it. Their 700 yds of offense a game is unbelievable.

In regard to TxTech and UoH. I've aplied to TTech, but have been told by them that I will not get a decision until after new year's day.I'm fairly certain I should get in there, which would qualify for Hazlewood Act exemption (whichever of you snooped my other threads to find that I was a veteran). I shouldve mentioned that Baylor was for Spring admission, and I'm inclined to go there, so I'm wanting to be able to plan ahead. Ou is the only other school that has accepted me thus far, and they did so very quickly, so I am hoping that their offer is very generous ( I'm above both medians and such). Funny, OU has sent me instructions on paying my seat deposit but no offer yet.

In addition to those I have applied binding ED to UT-Austin, but I have the feeling they will reject me, but more importantly will do so at or very close to their quoted deadline of Dec. 31st. Obviously, UT-Austin would be obligatory (let alone the best choice given all variables), but I feel the need to decide within the next two weeks or so.

Starting Baylor in Spring and graduating a full year earlier than anywhere else I could go sounds pretty good. I've done all the math and worst case scenario at Baylor would mean about $60,000 is financed....which is far from the crippling 6 figure debt that makes headlines out of Starbucks baristas.

Going off of what I have right now it's Baylor vs. OU (pending offer). Does being above both medians usually guarantee handsome fin aid? What do you guys think?

I know everyone talks about how hellish Baylor is and most of you guys still prefer it OU, but seem to disapprove of both. Where all are you guys applying?

oh, yeah... also have an app completed at SMU, which I really just view as a Baylor-equivalent in Dallas.
As a Veteran from Dallas who has apparently applied to all of the same schools as you with similar numbers, let me talk some sense into you.. I have been accepted to OU and Baylor (presumably- my decision letter was mailed today and I can only imagine it's anything but an acceptance) as well. I have apps in at UT, SMU, UofH, and TTU. But let me explain my thought process and hopefully it makes since to you. OU is only an option because it would be 100% free and I should be able to negotiate any scholly into a living stipend to use in conjunction with the allowance from the GI Bill. TTU is the same. And FYI, I'd attend TTU before OU. As for the rest I plan to attend in the following order; UT, SMU, UofH, Baylor. This should be the same for you unless you prefer Houston over Dallas (in which case there is no hope for you since Houston is a shit hole). I will only go to Baylor with a substantial scholly and only if I don't get into any of the others in front of it. The key factor in choosing a school has to be the job outlook and Baylor's isn't great. I went through the whole "but I can start earlier" thing too but in the end I decided it's best to wait it out until all your cards are on the table and then make an informed decision. Getting out of law school a year early sounds great but the law school you go to will literally effect the rest of your life.

You haven't mentioned the GI Bill. Have you used it all up? If you've used it all up, I would only consider UT, UofH, and TTU so you can use the Hazelwood Act.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 pm

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
grungy89 wrote:I'll give him credit for an original joke. Gotta think Baylor's gonna win it. Their 700 yds of offense a game is unbelievable.

As a Veteran from Dallas who has apparently applied to all of the same schools as you with similar numbers, let me talk some sense into you.. I have been accepted to OU and Baylor (presumably- my decision letter was mailed today and I can only imagine it's anything but an acceptance) as well. I have apps in at UT, SMU, UofH, and TTU. But let me explain my thought process and hopefully it makes since to you. OU is only an option because it would be 100% free and I should be able to negotiate any scholly into a living stipend to use in conjunction with the allowance from the GI Bill. TTU is the same. And FYI, I'd attend TTU before OU. As for the rest I plan to attend in the following order; UT, SMU, UofH, Baylor. This should be the same for you unless you prefer Houston over Dallas (in which case there is no hope for you since Houston is a shit hole). I will only go to Baylor with a substantial scholly and only if I don't get into any of the others in front of it. The key factor in choosing a school has to be the job outlook and Baylor's isn't great. I went through the whole "but I can start earlier" thing too but in the end I decided it's best to wait it out until all your cards are on the table and then make an informed decision. Getting out of law school a year early sounds great but the law school you go to will literally effect the rest of your life.

You haven't mentioned the GI Bill. Have you used it all up? If you've used it all up, I would only consider UT, UofH, and TTU so you can use the Hazelwood Act.
Houston v Dallas is a cripple fight that nobody wins bro. Lets not go there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

grungy89

Bronze

Post by grungy89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:14 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:

Yeah, so I'll have approx. 10 mos remaining on GI Bill so thats another reason why Baylor looks more attractive because of finishing quicker. Just curious, why is OU 100% free for you? did you get a full ride from them? I got accepted over the phone but still no scholarship offer in mail yet.

What is considered the TLS.com standard for employment statistics - the school's ABA disclosure statement or LST or USNwr? What do you guys take as most accurate?

Also, I hold Houston in similarly low regard as Austin. Houston is like L.A., but without all of the things to do and the awesome weather.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 am

grungy89 wrote:
TheJanitor6203 wrote:

Yeah, so I'll have approx. 10 mos remaining on GI Bill so thats another reason why Baylor looks more attractive because of finishing quicker. Just curious, why is OU 100% free for you? did you get a full ride from them? I got accepted over the phone but still no scholarship offer in mail yet.

What is considered the TLS.com standard for employment statistics - the school's ABA disclosure statement or LST or USNwr? What do you guys take as most accurate?

Also, I hold Houston in similarly low regard as Austin. Houston is like L.A., but without all of the things to do and the awesome weather.
OU will be cover with the GI Bill + YRP. I also have only received a phone call.

I base all my employment info off of LST. Austin is a great city. What's your beef with it?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:33 am

You hate Austin and Houston but like Dallas? I feel like people develop the most irrational feelings about cities based on extremely limited experiences. I remember when Merkin swore up and down that he hated STL and would never live there.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:38 am

I've lived in or near all three so I have earned the right to hate Houston.. but I'm not above going to school and/or working there if that becomes my best option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 am

Listen to TheJanitor, OP. Paying tens of thousands of dollars to graduate a year earlier with employment prospects worse than what you'd have from UH/SMU makes no sense at all.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 am

grungy89 wrote:Ioh, yeah... also have an app completed at SMU, which I really just view as a Baylor-equivalent in Dallas.

That is....incorrect, depending on what your goals are and what your preferred environment is.

grungy89

Bronze

Post by grungy89 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:24 am

kalvano wrote:
grungy89 wrote:Ioh, yeah... also have an app completed at SMU, which I really just view as a Baylor-equivalent in Dallas.

That is....incorrect, depending on what your goals are and what your preferred environment is.
They are the same as far as cost.... and still waiting on a decision from SMU, but can't imagine their offer will be any better...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:36 am

grungy89 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

They are the same as far as cost.... and still waiting on a decision from SMU, but can't imagine their offer will be any better...
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=tx
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”