What law school could I get into? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
isItPossible

New

What law school could I get into?

Post by isItPossible » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:17 am

So I'm thinking about going to law school, but I need some advice from people that know more than I do about the process.

I was a business undergrad with a degree in Management Information Systems from the Carlson School of Management, but my GPA sucked (3.50 exactly). I'm working full time as a management consultant at the moment.

Really the only thing I have on my side is that I have a ton of time to study for the LSAT and there is absolutely no reason that I couldn't score well. I'm fairly confident that I could learn to score at least 170 because I have years to study if I need them.

What kind of law school could I get into with my weak GPA?

I'm assuming that anything within the top 20 is out, but I guess that I wouldn't really know.
Does GPA play much into the decision? I have seen a lot of articles that says that it doesn't because GPAs can vary so widely between undergraduate majors. Is that true?

Kellanj

New

Re: What law school could I get into?

Post by Kellanj » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:40 am

3.5 is better than a lot of applicants. Study hard, ace the LSAT (170+) and you'll get into some solid T-14 schools.

mitch1010

New

Post by mitch1010 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:45 am

NU is super splitter-friendly and attaches special importance to WE, besides 3.50 is not really that bad. Get 170+(75% of NU is 171) on LSAT, along with your working experience, I'm sure you can get offers from some T14 schools.

cotiger

Gold

Post by cotiger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:53 am

If you can get even into the low 170s, you definitely have options.

Here's the results for people with 3.40-3.59 and 170-172.

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:06 pm

isItPossible wrote: I was a business undergrad with a degree in Management Information Systems from the Carlson School of Management[...]
For simplicity's sake, you can just say the University of Minnesota. Most people will find Carlson to be too obscure and will react with a quizzical look followed by a Google search. Name-dropping Bschools only works with upper-crust players like Wharton and Kellogg.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:56 pm

IpleadtheFiF wrote:
isItPossible wrote: I was a business undergrad with a degree in Management Information Systems from the Carlson School of Management[...]
For simplicity's sake, you can just say the University of Minnesota. Most people will find Carlson to be too obscure and will react with a quizzical look followed by a Google search. Name-dropping Bschools only works with upper-crust players like Wharton and Kellogg.
I figured he was talking about a for-profit college. I've never heard of Carlson School of Management.

IpleadtheFiF

New

Post by IpleadtheFiF » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:59 am

californiauser wrote:
IpleadtheFiF wrote:

I figured he was talking about a for-profit college. I've never heard of Carlson School of Management.
BAM. See? Total backfire.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Take the LSAT and then we can talk. Study hard, take it seriously, and use the resources here on TLS to help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TigerDude

Bronze

Post by TigerDude » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:23 pm

californiauser wrote: I figured he was talking about a for-profit college. I've never heard of Carlson School of Management.
This

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 pm

The number of people who "see no reason why I cannot get a 170+; I have a lot of time to study and will be dedicated to it" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The number of 170+'s. Once you have an LSAT, you can think about what schools you can get into.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 pm

kckool7 wrote:The number of people who "see no reason why I cannot get a 170+; I have a lot of time to study and will be dedicated to it" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The number of 170+'s. Once you have an LSAT, you can think about what schools you can get into.
the same thing applies to people who "see no reason why I cannot be in the top 10% of my 1L class."

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:31 am

kckool7 wrote:The number of people who "see no reason why I cannot get a 170+; I have a lot of time to study and will be dedicated to it" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The number of 170+'s. Once you have an LSAT, you can think about what schools you can get into.
Definitely true...unfortunately there is an intelligence cap that we all hit at some point. This is my major takeaway point from enduring many many many months of studying for this forsaken exam!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:18 am

romothesavior wrote:Take the LSAT and then we can talk. Study hard, take it seriously, and use the resources here on TLS to help.
Yeah. Score 170 then we can dig into your chances..

Assuming 170, you got good odds at every school with a 170 median and below .

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 am

IpleadtheFiF wrote:
Yup.

Outside Minn people, no one probably knew what you were talking about

midwest17

Gold

Post by midwest17 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:08 am

IpleadtheFiF wrote:
And even then it's silly.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:12 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Credit to:
Regulus wrote:And for those of you who would rather use the "choose your own adventure" version:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dpZ ... QIblLo/pub
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9&t=170051

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”