Thoughts on big ten law schools? Which ones are worth it? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Thethoughtcounts176

New

Thoughts on big ten law schools? Which ones are worth it?

Post by Thethoughtcounts176 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:56 pm

Thinking of some big ten schools as my grad degree is from one of them.

Michigan
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indiana
Etc.
Thoughts on the quality of education, caliber of career networks for law? looking in into corporate, startup arena specifically.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Thoughts on big ten law schools? Which ones are worth it?

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Athletic conference is a monumentally stupid way to choose a law school.

But if you must, the only Big Ten law schools worth any money are Michigan and Northwestern.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Did you pick your graduate program based on this? :D

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Northwestern and Michigan, and then the rest only if you get a full ride. Probably shouldn't do MSU at all.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Rutgers is probably the best, followed closely by Maryland.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 pm

look at law school transparency

BarrySanders

New

Post by BarrySanders » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:06 pm

I attend Indiana (IUB) and agree completely with the posters above.

IUB has been great, but I attended on a significant (pretty much full tuition) scholarship and still occasionally wonder if the cost (cost of living and opportunity cost) was worth it. I certainly do not consider the school worth anything close to full tuition. Employment statistics and networking opportunities simply do not justify it.

If you are an in-state resident, paying full in-state tuition might be worth it. Otherwise, if you are set on the Big Ten, go to Michigan or Northwestern. Frankly, I don't know if I would pay $200k to attend either of those schools either.
Last edited by BarrySanders on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:07 pm

We need more information.

Generally law schools are ranked by other criteria than top ten schools. I can understand that this may not be obvious.

The general idea is to go to a top 14 school or go to a regional school for low cost.

I suggest you start by reading Paul Campos ebook from
Amazon called don't go to law school unless. It is more than worth the 5 dollars it costs. It explains a lot.

We can help you with the rest.

Note: law is odd because it is scarily expensive with massive cost combined with few jobs that can make the expense of the degree worthwhile.

l0g0s

New

Post by l0g0s » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:10 pm

If you already have a grad degree from a big ten school, then you should pick a law school from a different conference (the SEC would be a good bet). That way you have a shot at firms who hire from both conferences. Common sense, dude.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:24 pm

NYstate wrote: Generally law schools are ranked by other criteria than top ten schools.
No.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
NYstate wrote: Generally law schools are ranked by other criteria than top ten schools.
No.
???
Wtf??

The big ten isn't relevant to law school ranking. Being from New York, all I know is it is some Midwest college sport thing - only Michigan of the T14 is in big ten. I think.

If you are commenting on the fact I said top ten instead of big ten, then sorry for my error. I have no interest in college sports outside of march madness. I have never been to a college football game but have been to many Yankees,Giants, rangers games. That is why big ten doesn't matter until we maybe find out about Ops hopes and dreams re: law.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Dude was obviously talking about the sports conference not the top ten law schools.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 pm

NYstate wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
No.
???
Wtf??

The big ten isn't relevant to law school ranking. Being from New York, all I know is it is some Midwest college sport thing - only Michigan of the T14 is in big ten. I think.

If you are commenting on the fact I said top ten instead of big ten, then sorry for my error. I have no interest in college sports outside of march madness. I have never been to a college football game but have been to many Yankees,Giants, rangers games. That is why big ten doesn't matter until we maybe find out about Ops hopes and dreams re: law.
Northwestern, as mentioned several times in this thread, is also both T14 and Big Ten. You apparently don't know anything about top law schools or college sports, so maybe this is a good thread to, you know, not post in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:43 pm

I know a lot about top law schools. I know that their sports count as fuck all for law school admissions or getting employment.

I told OP we needed more info. And that Op needs to understand that these college sport divisions don't determine which law schools are the best. This applies to the IVy league as well, even though they have several T14 law schools. The Ivy League schools aren't T14 because of their sports teams. And neither is Michigan or Northwestern in the T 14 from being in some Midwestern sports conference.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:46 pm

NYstate wrote:I know a lot about top law schools. I know that their sports count as fuck all for law school admissions or getting employment.

I told OP we needed more info. And that Op needs to understand that these college sport divisions don't determine which law schools are the best. This applies to the IVy league as well, even though they have several T14 law schools. The Ivy League schools aren't T14 because of their sports teams. And neither is Michigan or Northwestern in the T 14 from being in some Midwestern sports conference.
What original observations.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:39 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
NYstate wrote:I know a lot about top law schools. I know that their sports count as fuck all for law school admissions or getting employment.

What original observations.
Hope it helps the OP understand law school rankings.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:18 am

Obvious troll is obvious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:25 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Did you pick your graduate program based on this? :D
:D

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:31 am

Dude, obviously you go to the school with the most championship wins. Can't believe I'd have to explain this to someone:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... _champions

Michigan would be your #1, with Ohio State a close contender. Purdue law is always a solid choice despite their record. Kinda drops off after that: Definitely avoid TTT Northwestern - 8 wins in 114 years of membership? Pssht.

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:12 am

Will you also be considering Maryland and Rutgers with the new conference realignment?

edwardt1988

Bronze

Post by edwardt1988 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 am

One big thing that everyone seems to forgetting to tell OP is that the division you choose depends on the geographical area you want to practice. Many men are recruiters for law firms and many men enjoy college football, which means they are aware of the selectivity of your conference. On the other hand, if you want to work in the south, you may not want to go to Northwestern. Auburn, LSU, Alabama would definitely be a better choice.

Don't worry too much about the ivy league conference. Nobody who watches college football really cares about them, so if you want to practice in the northeast, you got more freedom in choosing the conference you want to get your law degree in

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:35 am

Everyone shuttup. There are ONLY TWO SCHOOLS THAT YOU NEED TO CONSIDER, OTHERWISE BOW DOWN AND GO HOME.

THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

AND

THE NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY AT EVANSTON.

The rest of the schools in the Big 10, even the top 35 programs, are a bunch of pretenders. I'm looking at you: Minnesota, Indiana, Wisconsin. You will have to be top 25% to even be considered for decent jobs from those pretenders. They aren't even worth it at full-ride.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

OP, ignore all the comments above. The most important metric to focus on is employment placement rates. By this I mean the number of players each school will place in the NFL. Accordingly, schools like Alabama, University of Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Ohio State should be your target schools.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

sparty99 wrote:Everyone shuttup. There are ONLY TWO SCHOOLS THAT YOU NEED TO CONSIDER, OTHERWISE BOW DOWN AND GO HOME.

THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

AND

THE NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY AT EVANSTON.

The rest of the schools in the Big 10, even the top 35 programs, are a bunch of pretenders. I'm looking at you: Minnesota, Indiana, Wisconsin. You will have to be top 25% to even be considered for decent jobs from those pretenders. They aren't even worth it at full-ride.
This has been said like eight times already.

Except Northwestern Law is in Chicago, not Evanston.

edwardt1988

Bronze

Post by edwardt1988 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:46 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:OP, ignore all the comments above. The most important metric to focus on is employment placement rates. By this I mean the number of players each school will place in the NFL. Accordingly, schools like Alabama, University of Miami, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Ohio State should be your target schools.
Are we including undrafted rookies?

Also, getting into the NFL is one thing, being there after 5 years is another. I think that's an important metric OP should be aware of

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”