Dartmouth or Appalachian? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Dartmouth or Appalachian?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Dartmouth
6%
Appalachian
No votes
Neither
56%
Both (JD/MBA)
22%
Retake to get better scholarship, then Dartmouth
No votes
Retake to get better scholarship, then Southern school
No votes
Go back to undergrad and get a science degree
17%

Total votes: 18

lawdominator

New

Dartmouth or Appalachian?

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi I was accepted to two eastern schools and I have to decide before next Tuesday. Dartmouth would be a bit more expensive but both schools would cost me about $95,000 total. I'm hoping to get a job in the South via the alumni network, which coordinators of both schools told me had a strong national presence (but Dartmouth has a bit more of a reputation). I'm hoping to work as a litigator in software cases and might consider also doing Sports Finance. One of my coworkers knows someone who went to Dartmouth so I might be able to get a connection. At the same time though, Appalachian has a solid IP program which is right up my alley, plus they have multiple options for intramural sports. I might retake the LSAC and go for a slightly larger scholarship but not sure yet.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Re: Dartmouth or Appalachian?

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:53 pm

There are at least four things in that post that don't make any sense.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Obviously get a better LSAT to get into Princeton Law instead.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm allowed to say this one's a troll, right? This one's a troll.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:57 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:I'm allowed to say this one's a troll, right? This one's a troll.

Judging by the angle of the moon, and the color of goat turd beads in my hand, I would say it's a maybe. Judging by his actual and only post, yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawdominator

New

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I should also clarify that I'm from Worcester which is only a 75 minute commute to Dartmouth Law so I could possibly save over $4,000 by living at home and just making this commute.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 pm

OP likely means this Dartmouth Law, and is not trolling us by making up a pretend law school at Dartmouth College.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:08 pm

bk187 wrote:OP likely means this Dartmouth Law, and is not trolling us by making up a pretend law school at Dartmouth College.
But dude "retake the LSAC"? I mean...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm

bk187 wrote:OP likely means this Dartmouth Law, and is not trolling us by making up a pretend law school at Dartmouth College.
OP is not deciding on Appalachian for the IM sports, and fuck, I'm feeding the troll right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 pm

lawdominator wrote:Hi I was accepted to two eastern schools and I have to decide before next Tuesday. Dartmouth would be a bit more expensive but both schools would cost me about $95,000 total. I'm hoping to get a job in the South via the alumni network, which coordinators of both schools told me had a strong national presence (but Dartmouth has a bit more of a reputation). I'm hoping to work as a litigator in software cases and might consider also doing Sports Finance. One of my coworkers knows someone who went to Dartmouth so I might be able to get a connection. At the same time though, Appalachian has a solid IP program which is right up my alley, plus they have multiple options for intramural sports. I might retake the LSAC and go for a slightly larger scholarship but not sure yet.
The Boston bomber went to that Dartmouth bro. I vote Appalachian 100%.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:14 pm

If you want a job in the south, going to school in Massachusetts is not going to help you. Do you have connections to the south?

Also, are you familiar with the job prospects from these schools?

What is your GPA and LSAT?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Bronte wrote:But dude "retake the LSAC"? I mean...
Touche. To settle this:

1. All responses to OP from here on out must be legit.

2. OP, if any of your responses from this point on hint that you are trolling I will lock this thread and ban you.

lawdominator

New

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
OP is not deciding on Appalachian for the IM sports, and fuck, I'm feeding the troll right now.
Well intramural sports helped me keep a solid mentality during undergrad and I used it as a study break. It's not a deal-breaker but instead something that goes into my overall calculus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

OP only 37% of Appalachian Law grads got legal jobs last year. University of Massachusetts School of Law (formerly New England School of law) is closer to 35%. And almost all of those jobs are highly undesirable.

You need to retake the LSAT or consider not attending law school.

lawdominator

New

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Bronte wrote:OP only 37% of Appalachian Law grads got legal jobs last year. University of Massachusetts School of Law (formerly New England School of law) is closer to 35%. And almost all of those jobs are highly undesirable.

Is there any way you can check to see how many graduates got jobs in the South?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

Why do you think Dartmouth can get you a job in the south when it's an unranked state school in Massachusetts that has been around for only a couple years?

lawdominator

New

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:34 pm

timbs4339 wrote:http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location

Why do you think Dartmouth can get you a job in the south when it's an unranked state school in Massachusetts that has been around for only a couple years?
Good question. Some older people told me they made connections in other regions through online alumni networks. Also, I was told by coordinators that I might be able to use the alumni network at these schools to make valuable connections in regions across the nation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 pm

lawdominator wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Well intramural sports helped me keep a solid mentality during undergrad and I used it as a study break. It's not a deal-breaker but instead something that goes into my overall calculus.
OP: you can find sports in any school environment. That should not be a factor. Job prospects and cost. You should not go to any unaccredited schools.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 pm

OP, why do you want a job in the South if you are from the NE and why are you looking at these two schools and not schools in the south?

Also, do you honestly believe them when they say this Dartmouth place has a strong national reputation or alumni network? Looks like the school has only been around a few years and its not even fully accredited yet. The fact that they would try and sell you that story should tell you a lot about the school and how much you should believe those adcoms (or most adcoms, really) when they tell you something.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 pm

lawdominator wrote:
Bronte wrote:OP only 37% of Appalachian Law grads got legal jobs last year. University of Massachusetts School of Law (formerly New England School of law) is closer to 35%. And almost all of those jobs are highly undesirable.

Is there any way you can check to see how many graduates got jobs in the South?
Wanting to be in the South only makes it worse. You have to understand that these schools are simply not going to give you the opportunity for gainful legal employment--not if you want a job in the South, in the North, or in North Korea. You simply have to retake.

lawdominator

New

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Very good responses so far. I'm a little confused by the results of the poll, however.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:52 pm

lawdominator wrote:Very good responses so far. I'm a little confused by the results of the poll, however.
Majority of people are saying neither, as expected. Others are choosing "both" because they assume you are putting one over on us and believe that is the funniest response.

lawdominator

New

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Bronte wrote:
lawdominator wrote:Very good responses so far. I'm a little confused by the results of the poll, however.
Majority of people are saying neither, as expected. Others are choosing "both" because they assume you are putting one over on us and believe that is the funniest response.
Looks like there's also some popularity for going back to undergrad and getting a science degree.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:04 pm

lawdominator wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Looks like there's also some popularity for going back to undergrad and getting a science degree.
Yes those people are serious and that might well be a better option.

lawdominator

New

Post by lawdominator » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Bronte wrote:
lawdominator wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Yes those people are serious and that might well be a better option.
yeah I've heard this as an option. But how can I go back to undergrad if I've already graduated? Maybe I can then raise my GPA and go for a bigger scholarship..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”