(URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CCN or Wait a year for HYS?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 am

CCN ($63,000 COA)
75%
Reapply to HYS ($150,00 COA?)
8%
You hate me and think I shouldn't go at all (0 COA)
17%

Total votes: 64

Fussell

New

(URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Post by Fussell » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:22 am

I have until tomorrow afternoon to decide whether or not I will attend one of CCN. I applied in the 2012-13 cycle with a 169 and was accepted to the CCN school I most wanted to attend of the three. I was effectively rejected from HYS. This past June, I retook the LSAT and increased my score to a 171.

So, my numbers are 171, 3.98, non-URM.

I have currently submitted a seat deposit to my CCN school and must decide by tomorrow whether to attend that school or wait a year and reapply to CCNHYS. I currently have a half scholarship at the school I have seat deposited at. The question that I think will most determine the outcome of my decision is one I don't know. My parents make over the oft-mentioned $180,000 on Harvard's financial aid website, but won't be giving me more than $14,000 towards law school total. Would HYS offer me any aid if I were accepted? If not, it seems to me that HYS is not worth $90,000 more than CCN. Do you agree?

I plan to work in a very lucrative particular field of law, where I currently work as an analyst, and my goal is to amass a great deal of money in the long run. My interest in Bigfed or academia is minimal, and I have no interest in PI. I have already taken a year-off before law school and an additional year would yield little savings or valuable experience.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts. I would also like to throw a shout-out to retaking, it is well worth it!

Also, if you wouldn't quote me, I would appreciate it.

Edited: for more info and removal of unnecessary information.
Last edited by Fussell on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Re: (URGENT) CCN or Wait a Year

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:28 am

If your parents have the money there's nothing wrong with waiting a year and seeing if you can get HYS. Honestly the 171 gives you a much better chance but I'm not convinced that chance is worth waiting a year. You could have been rejected for other factors and it would suck to lose a year and be in the same position.

Additionally, I think you have a good gig lined up with CCN 1/2 paid for. I see no reason why you shouldn't just run for it. Then again, I didn't take time off between UG and LS because I wanted to get my life moving. I'll admit there's something to be said about taking a year off to travel, work, and enjoy life.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:51 am

Fussell wrote:I have until tomorrow afternoon to decide whether or not I will attend one of CCN. I applied in the 2012-13 cycle with a 169 and was accepted to the CCN school I most wanted to attend of the three. I was effectively rejected from HYS. This past June, I retook the LSAT and increased my score to a 171.

So, my numbers are 171, 3.98, non-URM.

I have currently submitted a seat deposit to my CCN school and must decide by tomorrow whether to attend that school or wait a year and reapply to CCNHYS. I currently have a half scholarship at the school I have seat deposited at. The question that I think will most determine the outcome of my decision is one I don't know. My parents make in the mid-6 figure range ($400,000 to $700,000), but won't be paying for much of my law school. Would HYS offer me any aid if I were accepted? If not, it seems to me that HYS is not worth $90,000 more than CCN. Do you agree?

I plan to work in a very lucrative particular field of law and my goal is to amass a great deal of money in the long run. My interest in Bigfed or academia is minimal, and I have no interest in PI.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts. I would also like to throw a shout-out to retaking, it is well worth it!
Also, if you wouldn't quote me, I would appreciate it.
Seems like a no-brainer. I really don't think the advantage in biglaw provided by HYS (if any) outweighs the half scholarship you have in the pocket.

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:56 am

Today I learned people with copious resources and a no-holds-barred interest in accruing maximum wealth rely on anonymous, unpaid advice to make major investment decisions.

Good to know. Pay someone to tell you, asap, they'll do a slightly better job and you'll have someone specific to yell at if it goes wrong.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 am

legalmindedfella wrote:Today I learned people with copious resources and a no-holds-barred interest in accruing maximum wealth rely on anonymous, unpaid advice to make major investment decisions.

Good to know. Pay someone to tell you, asap, they'll do a slightly better job and you'll have someone specific to yell at if it goes wrong.
This is the future, deal with it.

OP, your analysis is correct. Enjoy CCN. Your scholarship amount won't significantly change because of a 171 and full rides aren't possible with a 171. HLS is very probable but not worth the lost year, added cost, and still risk on top of not being accepted.

The one caveat being that the biglaw market you prefer is that of NYC or Chi. HYS carries further as you become geographicly picky.

Also, I'm not positive how HYS finaid works so if others can chime in on that

I agree as many others here that taking off time if you are a k-jd is usually a huge benefit so take that into consideration. (Not for admissions but personal life satisfaction)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 am

Enjoy CCN.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:55 am

If you really just want biglaw, its a no-brainer to take a half ride to CCN.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 am

Why would you even care about HYS? Prestige?
Just go to your favorite school at a decent price and be happy.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 am

Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet, but your COA figures are wrong. COA isn't just tuition, it's cost of living too.

That said, stick with the CCN school since it's still a lot cheaper and you don't have an interest in the fields that would make Harvard worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:42 am

envisciguy wrote:Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet, but your COA figures are wrong. COA isn't just tuition, it's cost of living too.

That said, stick with the CCN school since it's still a lot cheaper and you don't have an interest in the fields that would make Harvard worth it.
I think OP is also including the money from his/her parents.

OP, this comes down to how long you're willing to wait to go to law school. I'm inclined to say you should take time off, just because I think that's a good move for everyone before committing to a career, but CCN at that price is an excellent deal. I would think you would be just as competitive for similar scholarship amounts next year.

For reference, here's your chances at HYS http://mylsn.info/i4tz19

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 am

LOL at the third option on the poll.

idk why people do things like that... it just makes people who were going to seriously vote, vote for a joke option instead (like me)

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:50 am

legalmindedfella wrote:Today I learned people with copious resources and a no-holds-barred interest in accruing maximum wealth rely on anonymous, unpaid advice to make major investment decisions.

Yeah, ask somebody who's qualified to answer this like your Pre-Law Advisor.

Just kidding. With your goals, just go to CCN.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am

If you have no interest in bigfed, academia, or public interest, then you don't really need HYS in your life. Considering the half scholarship and lack of parental contribution, I would say go CCN.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

Doorkeeper wrote:If you have no interest in bigfed, academia, or public interest, then you don't really need HYS in your life. Considering the half scholarship and lack of parental contribution, I would say go CCN.
this

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:35 pm

And if you're thinking that HYS might boost your partnership prospects, let's just say that if you can't leverage a CCN degree into a partnership, HYS was never going to help you much.

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:59 pm

The difference between Columbia/NYU and HYS for NYC Biglaw are not worth the extra year and tuition cost. For CA and DC markets, the difference is a bit greater but still not worth waiting and re-applying IMO.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:15 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:If you have no interest in bigfed, academia, or public interest, then you don't really need HYS in your life. Considering the half scholarship and lack of parental contribution, I would say go CCN.
this

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:03 am

thewaves wrote:The difference between Columbia/NYU and HYS for NYC Biglaw are not worth the extra year and tuition cost. For CA and DC markets, the difference is a bit greater but still not worth waiting and re-applying IMO.
There's no discernible difference between Columbia and Harvard placement in NYC biglaw anyway (even at top vault firms), and Stanford/Yale are a crapshoot in any cycle. That said, if one was committed to DC, esp government jobs, Harvard has a pretty big dominance and I could see it being preferable over CLS or Chicago at half scholly.

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:09 pm

I agree with CCN, but you might want to wait a year for a better scholarship. The increase in your LSAT would I believe put you in play for pretty close to a full ride at UChi or NYU.

If the CCN is Columbia you probably won't do much better scholarship wise and i would run with it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:22 pm

thewaves wrote:The difference between Columbia/NYU and HYS for NYC Biglaw are not worth the extra year and tuition cost. For CA and DC markets, the difference is a bit greater but still not worth waiting and re-applying IMO.
There is no difference between the HCN for NY biglaw. There is for the others, but if you have ties, the difference is not enough to overcome that scholarship

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm

2014 wrote:I agree with CCN, but you might want to wait a year for a better scholarship. The increase in your LSAT would I believe put you in play for pretty close to a full ride at UChi or NYU.

If the CCN is Columbia you probably won't do much better scholarship wise and i would run with it.
Unless OP has a chance for a named scholly, NYU isn't going to give much more than a half with a high risk of giving less than that. Especially so given his parents income.

UChi has been interesting in that they've been giving out a lot of $$ this cycle and would be the one of CCN worth it for $$ to reapply but they are moving away from the rubys and moving toward a need based aid award that has a lot less overall sponsoring from what I remember. This will likely move their full ride offers to who they've offered rubies and again, OP wouldn't be competitive for it.

Outside of the t6, full rides are very likely though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”