Duke vs. Texas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Notmyrealname13

New

Duke vs. Texas

Post by Notmyrealname13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:24 pm

Any thoughts as to this tough choice imo? Is austin really that cool? Is Durham cool at all? Is there really that big of a difference in how they are regarded?

Not trying to ruffle feathers but i have very little knowledge of either city.

nebula666

Silver

Re: Duke vs. Texas

Post by nebula666 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:34 pm

If you want to work in Texas, UT. If you want to work anywhere else, Duke. Not a hard decision.

Also, read the rules.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Notmyrealname13

New

Post by Notmyrealname13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks. sorry.

-Duke, Texas, Vandy
-I'd be paying sticker.
-Loans
-From SC but doesn't matter to me much. Am open to anywhere besides New England.
-Big Law is not a must. Would like to make a fair amount of money but mostly desire to do interesting civil cases.
-transfer student but top 7% of my class

Mostly seems like a hard decision because people are so complimentary of Austin.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:48 pm

Notmyrealname13 wrote:Thanks. sorry.

-Duke, Texas, Vandy
-I'd be paying sticker.
-Loans
-From SC but doesn't matter to me much. Am open to anywhere besides New England.
-Big Law is not a must. Would like to make a fair amount of money but mostly desire to do interesting civil cases.

Mostly seems like a hard decision because people are so complimentary of Austin.
The only one I'd even consider paying sticker at is Duke

And I probably wouldn't do Duke at sticker

Also if you pay sticker you're gonna want a big firm job dood

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:05 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Notmyrealname13 wrote:Thanks. sorry.

-Duke, Texas, Vandy
-I'd be paying sticker.
-Loans

The only one I'd even consider paying sticker at is Duke

And I probably wouldn't do Duke at sticker

Also if you pay sticker you're gonna want a big firm job dood
As a transfer isnt OP just paying for 1 year (or at most 2 yrs) of sticker? We have to know OPs debt load from their current LS. Paying sticker at Duke for one year (~70K) with negligible outstanding debt is a good deal, although I cant speak to how transfers function at OCI. Even 2 yrs of sticker debt (~155 after interest) is defensible at Duke, just not 3 yrs.

Notmyrealname13

New

Post by Notmyrealname13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:08 pm

Even as a single early twenty-something you wouldn't consider paying sticker? Figure if I did well it would not be a problem landing a 160k+ job and paying back the 200k or so in a few years. Also, assuming I continue to do well in law school (and yes I realize the jump in degree of difficulty) ,I think those schools offer upperclassmen scholarships for the third year so maybe it wouldn't be sticker after 2L. Is that logic flawed?

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm not sure how this is even a question. I'm sure Austin is a great city, but it isn't heaven on earth. If it was, then every UT grad would have over six figure employment and under six figure debt. What the hell have people been telling you about Austin that make it worth the limited employment opportunities and leaving behind the advantage of being at least somewhat close to a market you have ties to with Duke? I seriously want to know...

Notmyrealname13

New

Post by Notmyrealname13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 pm

The Brainalist wrote:I'm not sure how this is even a question. I'm sure Austin is a great city, but it isn't heaven on earth. If it was, then every UT grad would have over six figure employment and under six figure debt. What the hell have people been telling you about Austin that make it worth the limited employment opportunities and leaving behind the advantage of being at least somewhat close to a market you have ties to with Duke? I seriously want to know...
They have mostly just been saying that money isn't the only reason to make a huge life decision and that Austin seems to be a great city full of young ambitious people doing amazing things. Since I know next to nothing about what life is like at Duke or in Durham, it seems like a fair consideration to me. Anyways thanks yall, I appreciate your advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Notmyrealname13 wrote:Even as a single early twenty-something you wouldn't consider paying sticker? Figure if I did well it would not be a problem landing a 160k+ job and paying back the 200k or so in a few years. Also, assuming I continue to do well in law school (and yes I realize the jump in degree of difficulty) ,I think those schools offer upperclassmen scholarships for the third year so maybe it wouldn't be sticker after 2L. Is that logic flawed?
What? What scholarships for 3Ls? I believe you heard wrong sir.

You dont seem particularly debt averse, and the idea of paying 200K over 10 yrs doesnt scare you, so sure go to Duke, just dont miss on market salary or you'll be hard pressed to pay off the debt.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:29 pm

You got in to UT as a transfer without significant ties? That is almost unheard of AFAIK.

Notmyrealname13

New

Post by Notmyrealname13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 pm

thank you jbagel. I may very well be wrong. I'm gonna look into it more. I appreciate your level-headed and insightful advice. and yes I got in as a transfer with no significant ties. Or ties at all. Off to dinner. Peace and love future lawyers.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 pm

[quote="Notmyrealname13"][ Austin seems to be a great city full of young ambitious people doing amazing things. quote]

What are these people doing that is so amazing? Are they doing those things to you?

Listen, you want to be the young person doing amazing things, so take care of yourself first and take your best shot at a career-launching job. Don't just live around cool young people - become one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:You got in to UT as a transfer without significant ties? That is almost unheard of AFAIK.
Class of 2015 was much smaller than expected. They are probably more willing to fill seats this year. :mrgreen:

But anyway, OOS sticker at Texas with no ties when you have a Duke offer is ridiculous to consider seriously.

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm

I assume you applied and were accepted to these places already? Both texas and Duke are extremely hard to transfer into (b/c youre OOS at UT and because Duke has a really small class)

Also, did you apply anywhere else? Just Duke, UT, and Vandy?? Are you waiting to hear back from other schools?

You need to decide where you want to work and what you want to do ASAP. OCI is right around the corner

While Austin is cool, I wouldn't pay sticker at either of these places. (There is zero shot at getting any scholarship for good grades at Duke or Texas. Neither school gives scholarships to 2Ls or 3Ls because of good grades.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”