Ole Miss vs. LSU vs. Houston vs. Baylor - Battle Royale Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bird Law Enthusiast

New

Ole Miss vs. LSU vs. Houston vs. Baylor - Battle Royale

Post by Bird Law Enthusiast » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Just trying to pick the brains of some of you:

Originally from Texas with a great amount of ties to the state, but at the same time very open to the idea of going out of state. Baylor has offered $15,000/year, LSU has offered resident tuition, and Ole Miss has offered resident tuition along with $7,000/year. I haven't the slightest idea of what type of law I would like to practice, if at all, but have always been very interested in government work and had early aspirations in lobbying. I do have a very strong foundation of family members working in the energy sector, which would seem to be a nod to LSU or Houston. However, I do feel the most comfortable at Ole Miss. I would like to somehow make my way back to Texas eventually (which of course I know means I should go to Houston or Baylor), but something about Ole Miss is very appealing to me.

LSAT: 160
GPA: 3.0

Someone please just pick for me?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Re: Ole Miss vs. LSU vs. Houston vs. Baylor - Battle Royale

Post by StylinNProfilin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:28 pm

that something at Ole Miss is called the grove

what is your Total COA for each school?

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:28 pm

How many times have you taken the LSAT?

Bird Law Enthusiast

New

Post by Bird Law Enthusiast » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:38 pm

I've taken the LSAT twice now, with 160 being my score both times.

Fortunately, my grandparents on both sides, who have always been the strongest supporters of a potential law school career for myself, have told me that they would like to take care of the entirety of COA at wherever I choose, within reason. These four schools would fall within that reason.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Houston makes the most sense. Best school in the market you want to be in. I would never advise anyone to attend Baylor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Gun to my head I'd take Houston

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Houston.

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:31 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Houston makes the most sense. Best school in the market you want to be in. I would never advise anyone to attend Baylor.
I wish someone could explain to me why anyone would ever matriculate to Baylor.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Do you have any money to Houston?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 pm

If they all cost the same Houston or LSU. LSU's job score is off the charts but it seems like that is because it's a very insular market whereas you seem to want to return to Texas.

However, this quote is really concerning for me:
Bird Law Enthusiast wrote: I haven't the slightest idea of what type of law I would like to practice, if at all
Even for free, if you don't think you want to practice some type of law then the opportunity cost of three years of law school is probably a waste.

Oh and (unrelated) how good are these family connections? Are they going to lead to a job?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:47 pm

jselson wrote:
StylinNProfilin wrote:Houston makes the most sense. Best school in the market you want to be in. I would never advise anyone to attend Baylor.
Same. I don't understand how they even fill a class.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:46 am

For freesies due to rich benefactors? Houston, no question.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:43 am

Ti Malice wrote:
jselson wrote:
If you know the kind of people who go to Baylor, you know that those people are all over TX/OK & the bible belt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 am

txdude45 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
jselson wrote:
If you know the kind of people who go to Baylor, you know that those people are all over TX/OK & the bible belt.
Yeah, I know why people go there for undergrad. I just don't understand why anyone would go to a law school that prides itself on making the law school experience uniquely miserable when it doesn't even provide some kind of advantage in employment outcomes over its direct competitors (quite the contrary, actually). And, from what I've heard, the law school student body culture is much more mainstream than that of the undergrad, so there are plenty of people subjecting themselves to this hellish experience who have no interest in the larger University's arch-conservative Baptist climate.

Devlin

Silver

Post by Devlin » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
jselson wrote:
According to some interns at the courthouse I'm at claim that "Baylor dominates Dallas." Who knew?

OP- this is not even a debate- choose Houston. If you want energy law Houston is the place to be out of those choices.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm looking at my SMU Symplicty page, and there are oodles of jobs in Houston.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Houston may be the best option listed, but I know I wouldn't feel comfortable spending $200k of my family's dough on a UH degree.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bearjew

New

Post by bearjew » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Did you apply to Tulane? I think they send 10% of their grads to Texas and does okay in Houston. But obviously should be avoided at full sticker.

bearjew

New

Post by bearjew » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 pm

txdude45 wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
jselson wrote:
The only person I know of from Baylor is RG3. And he's the man.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:19 pm

romothesavior wrote:Houston may be the best option listed, but I know I wouldn't feel comfortable spending $200k of my family's dough on a UH degree.
Of course. But LSU and Ole Miss are non-starters and I would gladly spend a little extra of my family's wads of cash money to not have to endure Baylor.

What's a poor rich splitter kid to do? Retake and ED UVA?

mroper09

New

Post by mroper09 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:58 pm

Retaking the LSAT is always an option but it doesn't seem like you have too much room left for movement. Also, this delays your entrance into law school by a year which isn't the best option.

Like everyone else has said... Baylor is a joke (source: email sent last year to admitted students with all the names, contact info, LSAT scores, scholarship money, etc. of everyone who had been admitted)

I would recommend not going to LSU because they are bound to teach Louisiana law there and frankly Louisiana law is extremely strange. Also, LSU, while ranked in the top 100, is no where near Baylor or UHLC in the rankings and rankings tend to matter when you're looking for a job.

If you feel like you have to go to Ole Miss then go. But, like you said, it is better to go to school where you plan on practicing. Also, Ole Miss isn't even ranked in the top 100 so job prospects might not be so great... (I also have some not so great personal stories about a visiting prof from Ole Miss but I digress).

Personally, I would go to the highest ranking school (UHLC) because it seems like money isn't an issue (and the cost to attend is relatively the same for all institutes anyways) and you want to practice in Texas. Also, have you visited UHLC? Despite the poor architecture, the people there are pretty great.

OP feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck making a decision!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 pm

mroper09 wrote:Retaking the LSAT is always an option but it doesn't seem like you have too much room left for movement. Also, this delays your entrance into law school by a year which isn't the best option.

Like everyone else has said... Baylor is a joke (source: email sent last year to admitted students with all the names, contact info, LSAT scores, scholarship money, etc. of everyone who had been admitted)

I would recommend not going to LSU because they are bound to teach Louisiana law there and frankly Louisiana law is extremely strange. Also, LSU, while ranked in the top 100, is no where near Baylor or UHLC in the rankings and rankings tend to matter when you're looking for a job.

If you feel like you have to go to Ole Miss then go. But, like you said, it is better to go to school where you plan on practicing. Also, Ole Miss isn't even ranked in the top 100 so job prospects might not be so great... (I also have some not so great personal stories about a visiting prof from Ole Miss but I digress).

Personally, I would go to the highest ranking school (UHLC) because it seems like money isn't an issue (and the cost to attend is relatively the same for all institutes anyways) and you want to practice in Texas. Also, have you visited UHLC? Despite the poor architecture, the people there are pretty great.

OP feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Good luck making a decision!
Not a fan of this post for a few reasons

Also isn't Baylor ranked the highest? (I am too lazy to do a simple google search to see if that's correct but I thought they were higher than UH)

OP, don't go to Ole Miss. Or LSU. Or Baylor.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:08 pm

Rankings mean virtually nothing and should not factor into this decision at all. Its 2013. We have LST. Use it instead of relying on worthless rankings.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:Rankings mean virtually nothing and should not factor into this decision at all. Its 2013. We have LST. Use it instead of relying on worthless rankings.
Always awesome when it takes people less than ten days on TLS to move from seeking advice to giving it.

buttes

Bronze

Post by buttes » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:39 am

Worked support for biglaw in Houston for a year. UH is your answer if you want to do energy. Also, Waco/Baylor is pretty much the worst. They'll expell their female (undergrad) students for working at the local Hooters. Travesty.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”