UT ($$$) vs. WUSTL (Full Ride) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT or WUSTL

UT (51k)
64%
WUSTL (18k)
36%

Total votes: 101

Rory19

Bronze

Re: UT ($$$) vs. WUSTL (Full Ride)

Post by Rory19 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Rory19 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Rory19 wrote:OP I had to make a similar call and all I can share is this: When I was linked to current WUSTL students, 3Ls looking for jobs outside of the main region (St. Louis, Chicago, Kansas City) struggled. They especially felt the taxing load of having to travel for interviews while maintainong their coursework. However, I was specifically inquiring about the west coast. My impression is you are not 100% sure where you want to practice, which is how I feel too and therefore portability was essential for me and I just did not have the confidence that WUSTL could do that for me. Just my opinion, and it is all based on anecdotal hearsay so take it or leave it.
The bolded happens all the time for all schools, even in the upper T14's once they miss the OCI boat. If you're a 3L looking for work at any school you're gonna have to balance schoolwork and travel/networking. I'm not saying WUSTL is the promised land of diverse placement, but if you don't get an offer through direct recruitment then you're gonna have to rely on your CSO and your own networking to get a job. Again, nothing is guaranteed at either school at that stage. But who are you going to call if you miss out on Texas as a UT student? As a WUSTL student you or CSO could call alumni in multiple markets and at least try to open some doors for you.

Also, if you find yourself without an offer as a 3L, then debt minimization takes priority, which wil be easier if you take the WUSTL offer. Basically WUSTL is the better option in the only likely scenario in which the bolded would actually be a real concern for you.
I agree with you Cuse, but if OP wants Texas and the bolded happens, networking in-state with prominent in-state UT alum is going to be worlds easier.
Further, I think it would be important to look at the size of both school's alumni network and their placement. Since I don't have a vested interest, I have not bothered to look that up.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:08 pm

T15 > T19

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Don't listen to a bunch of 0Ls telling you where to go, listen to one, me. GO TO WUSTL. UT is not worth 30k more. Rankings dont matter

Really? Mack Brown? C'mon.
Last edited by Dolphine on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rory19

Bronze

Post by Rory19 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Rory19 wrote:
Dolphine wrote:
Rory19 wrote:
Dolphine wrote:I, and about 5 other people I know, accidentally voted Texas but I meant WUSTL so consider that when looking at the numbers.
Dolphine, you can change your vote in the poll...
No you cant, OP didn't check that option, you must be another wustl supporter who hasn't voted, there must be like 10 more of you.

So just to clarify its like 21 wustl and 7 texas
That's a ridonkulous assertion given my comment above.
I take back my hate for Dolphine based on a PM. OP should attend WUSTL, not for objective reasons though.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm

TheThriller wrote:T15 > T19
lol despite the fact that I would vote UT if you want to work in texas, this is pretty dumb. If anything, T13 > T20. the rest are peers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I would do UT here.
I agree. Its not too much debt and you want Texas. It seems foolish to go for WUSTL to gun for Texas.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Rory19 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Rory19 wrote:OP I had to make a similar call and all I can share is this: When I was linked to current WUSTL students, 3Ls looking for jobs outside of the main region (St. Louis, Chicago, Kansas City) struggled. They especially felt the taxing load of having to travel for interviews while maintainong their coursework. However, I was specifically inquiring about the west coast. My impression is you are not 100% sure where you want to practice, which is how I feel too and therefore portability was essential for me and I just did not have the confidence that WUSTL could do that for me. Just my opinion, and it is all based on anecdotal hearsay so take it or leave it.
The bolded happens all the time for all schools, even in the upper T14's once they miss the OCI boat. If you're a 3L looking for work at any school you're gonna have to balance schoolwork and travel/networking. I'm not saying WUSTL is the promised land of diverse placement, but if you don't get an offer through direct recruitment then you're gonna have to rely on your CSO and your own networking to get a job. Again, nothing is guaranteed at either school at that stage. But who are you going to call if you miss out on Texas as a UT student? As a WUSTL student you or CSO could call alumni in multiple markets and at least try to open some doors for you.

Also, if you find yourself without an offer as a 3L, then debt minimization takes priority, which wil be easier if you take the WUSTL offer. Basically WUSTL is the better option in the only likely scenario in which the bolded would actually be a real concern for you.
I agree with you Cuse, but if OP wants Texas and the bolded happens, networking in-state with prominent in-state UT alum is going to be worlds easier.
I agree with that. If OP DEF wants Texas then UT is the clear choice here...but it doesn't sound like he's sure :? I'm just saying that if he wants Texas as an option and have a shot at some other markets as well, then i think WUSTL is the way to go here. And the 51k and 18k are both very low debt levels (this is assuming he doesn't get 2L SA) compared to the six-figure amounts we usually discuss on TLS, but it's still debt. Paying off 18k is much easier than paying off 51k. Also, he mentioned he has an SO. (Dunno how serious it is obviously :D ) Does his SO have debt? Or will she?

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
I agree. Its not too much debt and you want Texas. It seems foolish to go for WUSTL to gun for Texas.

He never said he would gun for Texas, he said might want it but would be "flexible"
Last edited by Dolphine on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Definitely UT. Gratz car!

The Texas economy is like the size of the entire Midwest. Missing out on Texas is much less likely than wherever wutsls market is.
Texas is also THE school in Texas, this probably isn't so with WUTSL and WUTSL in Texas, as far as the layman is concerned, is equal to nothing.
Last edited by sinfiery on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Dolphine wrote:Don't listen to a bunch of 0Ls telling you where to go, listen to one, me. GO TO WUSTL. UT is not worth 30k more. Rankings dont matter.
Neither do employment numbers, as long as you're confident in what you bring to the table.

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:24 pm

Don't pull a thriller and ask WUSTL for more money twice then not go. That's just rude.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p6703517

Look at what you've become.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:27 pm

Hopefully Vandy teaches you that you can't appeal a case that you've already won, thriller. :P

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:30 pm

You know why UT is so high right now, cause all the UT students/grads who dont have jobs/SAa are voting. All the WUSTL people are too busy actually having jobs. You're sampling an unrealistic demographic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:31 pm

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Dolphine wrote:You know why UT is so high right now, cause all the UT students/grads who dont have jobs/SAa are voting. All the WUSTL people are too busy actually having jobs. You're sampling an unrealistic demographic.
Bro, its simple. Texas > Missouri and Austin > St Louis
don't be angry :)

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:39 pm

Dolphine wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:

He never said he would gun for Texas, he said might want it but would be "flexible"
Yes i see that OP said "Wanting" Texas, I still don't see an appreciable difference. I'd take UT. I don't go to either but it seems like a better fit. WUSLT is not a bad choice, I just think UT is better.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:51 pm

It seems I've let my football fanaticism get in the way of giving good advice.

Only about a 4% difference in biglaw placement.

Graduating with absolutely zero debt is amazing. We will all likely hate being a lawyer but you will be the only one not facing the treachery of student loans when compiling exit options from day 1.

Oh, and WUTSL has the #6 ranked medschool in the whole of America. Can't get more prestigious than that.
Also, if you start a practice with your new med school bro suing other doctors, you will be a millionaire.

All at 40k cheaper than UT? Go and admire that arch bro.*

*I've been compromised

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:08 pm

Even if indifferent between Texas and Missouri, UT just makes more sense I think. The difference in CoA is relatively minor over the long run.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:10 pm

bruin91

Bronze

Post by bruin91 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:10 pm

WUSTL because cuse will be there.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:23 pm

sublime wrote: How much did Cuse pay you? :lol:
Nah bro,I just realized how powerful and widespread the WUTSL alumni were on TLS :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jselson

Platinum

Post by jselson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Who'd wanna live in St. Louis?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Dug the shout out :)

This is pretty clear cut I think, especially because you want TX. The schools are peer-ish but UT does objectively seem like a cut above in pretty much every way, unless you wanted the Midwest. WUSTL is a good school but if you prefer TX then hands down go to UT.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Wouldn't you be paying 10K a year in tuition (with no increases) at UT versus 8K a year (with probable increases) at WUSTL? What is accounting for the COA difference? Austin versus St. Louis?

Or do I just suck at math? Probably.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”