Georgetown (Part Time) vs George Washington (Full Time w/$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Georgetown PT at Sticker vs. George Washington FT $100,000 discount

Georgetown (Part Time); COA: $240,000 + Interest
16%
George Washington (Full Time); COA: $135,000 + Interest
84%

Total votes: 19

Eberry

Diamond

Re: Georgetown (Part Time) vs George Washington (Full Time w/$$)

Post by Eberry » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:43 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
JurisDoctorSeuss wrote:Eberry: I am currently living with my parents. I still have $17,000 debt from undergrad. My parents will not support me in the decision to retake. And, without their support I am kind of fucked.
FUCKING BOOMERS :evil:
Yeah, this. Sorry about that bro, but...
shifty_eyed wrote:YOU HAVE TO RETAKE.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Leela and I are practically numbers and situations twins. Last year with a low 160s LSAT I was looking at the University of Houston at instate sticker, this year with a high 160s score I had 90K at Duke and Cornell amongst other offers and will be attending UT on a significant discount. I also maxed out retakes but if I could take it again I would.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:54 pm

JurisDoctorSeuss wrote:Eberry: I am currently living with my parents. I still have $17,000 debt from undergrad. My parents will not support me in the decision to retake. And, without their support I am kind of fucked.
Lol. I'm sorry. This is kind of funny though because its often true. I respect you for stating it bluntly rather than beating around the bush like a lot of other posters ("retaking is not an option"). you should direct your parents to a TLS forum and show them the true value of a retake relative to attending at this cost.
JurisDoctorSeuss wrote: Maybe I'm just being a big bitch and should move out, find a job, and work to support myself, but I have too much pride to continue doing menial labor for table scraps.
Probably. Not that I blame you - comfort is comfort and striking out on your own is challenging. It will give you life perspective though, the opportunity to try something new and retake.
JurisDoctorSeuss wrote: Honestly, I've just become somewhat depressed at my situation and would be happy to start afresh at law school with at least SOME potential for new opportunity.
but really, moving in w/ the 'rents after 4 years of freedom in college would suck ass. I started working at a firm a month after graduating and didn't spend much time with my whole family. I can see how it would be depressing. Still, debt is not the answer. If you can't work with your family, and they aren't paying for you to go get a Gtown law degree, then you should take some time to consider another field, or just go to GWU and keep living at home.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:08 pm

JurisDoctorSeuss wrote:I'd be happy making $50,000 a year as a public defender
You bring this up like it's a likely negative outcome when unemployment/shitlaw debt slavery is what you should really be worried about.

Eberry

Diamond

Post by Eberry » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Please come back and tell us that you have decided to retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AC Vegas

New

Post by AC Vegas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Your COA numbers for GTown should include income from potential job during the day.

Edit: Read your other posts- don't go to either.
Last edited by AC Vegas on Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shooter

Bronze

Post by Shooter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:35 pm

My family and friends didn't understand when I turned down Georgetown with a 50k (total) scholly. But I really wanted to go to Penn, so I retook/applied again. Now I go to Harvard. And I never PT'd a 180. And I didn't have a job at all.

Please retake. You got this.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:53 pm

OP seems reasonable (or at least more reasonable than most other new posters usually are) and open to retaking; I have faith that he will do the right thing.

Wait, rereading the thread, you PTed 180s and were a reverse splitter? You definitely need to retake.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:49 pm

JurisDoctorSeuss wrote:Eberry: I am currently living with my parents. I still have $17,000 debt from undergrad. My parents will not support me in the decision to retake. And, without their support I am kind of fucked. The only long term job option I have available at the moment is making $10 an hour working construction, which requires me to work 6 days a week and isn't conducive to LSAT study. Maybe I'm just being a big bitch and should move out, find a job, and work to support myself, but I have too much pride to continue doing menial labor for table scraps. I'd be happy making $50,000 a year as a public defender if it meant I wouldn't be forced to work for a boss who threw me into less than satisfactory working conditions as if I were disposable. Honestly, I've just become somewhat depressed at my situation and would be happy to start afresh at law school with at least SOME potential for new opportunity.

But, I toss my 2 cents into the forum for consideration. Please, discuss.
OP, does the bolded mean that if you go to LS this fall, your parents will provide some financial support? If so, how much?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:06 pm

You really need to lay out to your parents that the financially responsible decision is to retake. If you get in the best mindset for the test, get what you have been PTing at, it could literally be worth 100K or more THIS YEAR and perhaps millions in lifetime earnings. It just makes more sense. What other job could you get that pays 100K (plus your current salary) per year?

If they don't buy it, you need to relax, take a deep breath, and start to figure out how you can support yourself for a year. You've reached generational loggerheads. They have internalized a deep-seated fear that you're going to end up a long-haired burnout doing meth if you aren't either (1) in school, or (2) going to work wearing a white collar. No matter how much they seem resolute- they have no fucking idea what they are talking about.
Shooter wrote:My family and friends didn't understand when I turned down Georgetown with a 50k (total) scholly. But I really wanted to go to Penn, so I retook/applied again. Now I go to Harvard. And I never PT'd a 180. And I didn't have a job at all.

Please retake. You got this.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:48 pm

JurisDoctorSeuss wrote:This is starting to feel live an intervention. But I DESPERATELY need it! I really don't have many people to confide in about this issue. I was talked down from retaking in December because of cost consideration, but burdening myself with $130,000 worth of debt after law school just seems to be kicking the can down the road. It would likely cost a few grand to undergo the reapplication process, but it would seem to me to be the better option if I could get into a better school or receive more scholarship money.

What advice might you, the community, have for someone who has exhausted nearly all of the practice tests. I haven't seen the practice tests in over 6 months, so the material would be somewhat fresh. Would retaking in October be my best option after putting in 500+ hours of LSAT study over the summer?
Just start going through the old tests again. If you haven't seen them in a long time, there's still plenty of value in working through the questions.

LawSchoolGirl87

New

Post by LawSchoolGirl87 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Just want to add that this poll is misleading. You won't graduate from GULC with 240k debt in the PT program. The point of a PT program is that your debt is significantly reduced because you are working. And you will be in a better position when OCI rolls around given that you should have significant experience by then.

sausageandeggslover

New

Post by sausageandeggslover » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:47 am

deleted

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:37 am

y bump a bunch of settled 3 week old threads?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:36 am

My numbers are 164 LSAT (1 attempt) w/ a 3.83 GPA
Quite frankly, by even considering these options and posting this thread, you probably should consider a different field. Anyone this ignorant does not belong in law.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 am

quite frankly, youre being a jerk

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”