Why Go At All? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Cobretti

Gold

Re: Why Go At All?

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:35 am

BigZuck wrote:T14 bros- don't kid yourselves, you are going to law school for some of the same exact reasons, primarily the ones revolving around making money. Make fun of him for the "helping people" stuff if you must but don't act like these are all bad reasons or that you're somehow above it because you actually just really love torts and the writ of habeas corpus and aren't in it for the money.
ninja editing my support for OP since he's gone off the deep end...
Last edited by Cobretti on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

ajclark1992

Bronze

Post by ajclark1992 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
These aren't reasons for wanting to be a lawyer. These are reasons for wanting to be Batman.
The opposites. The parallelism. The brilliance.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:11 am

I appreciate all of your comments.

The fact of the matter is that I knew how everyone one of you would respond and I still have the desire to go to law school and be a lawyer.

Also, I didn't mention it, but I think teaching law would be pretty awesome also.

The whole idea of me making this post though was to figure out why all of you wanted to go to law school. I wasn't expecting to be attacked about why I want to go.

I also think one doesn't have to actually have great reasons on why they want to go to law school. All you need is the desire to want to go. Who gives a shit about why.

When I graduated from undergrad I left to go teach in China. Nobody asked me why I wanted to go there. And even if they did... I'd respond... why the fuck not, it's China.

You all act like there has to be a reason for every little thing people do. There does not.

And If I can justify wanting to go to Harvard Law because they serve great ice cream there. Then fuck it... I'm going for the ice cream... and you can't tell me that's a bad reason... because that's the only reason I need.
Last edited by alexrodriguez on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:48 am

Agreed,

Inherent

Passion

Is

A

Myth/Flame

Also

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=206277

rambleon65

Bronze

Post by rambleon65 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:05 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:I want to make a lot of money.

I want to wear nice suits and live a life of luxury.

I want to help people.

I want a fair and just society.

I want to correct all the injustices of the world.

I want to be a badass.

I want an intellectually demanding profession.

I don't want to work in a small city doing small time legal work.

I want to live in a major city doing major things.

I want a nice flat with a nice view.

I want to go down in the legal world as one of the greats.

I want to make a difference. One that's very apparent.

These are some reasons I want to be a lawyer.
These aren't reasons for wanting to be a lawyer. These are reasons for wanting to be Batman.
Awesome. :D
Batman doesn't make a lot of money. Bruce Wayne does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:18 am

DaRascal wrote:Louie, you should go study! I read your post history and you really need to kill the LSAT. Just think about it- If you put in a bunch of work and break into the high 160's, you could be looking at a lot of scholarship money to a school like Florida or Miami.
Does OP have ties to FL and want to work there? If so, then this might be the first time that I agree with something you said.

cameronfrye

New

Post by cameronfrye » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:18 am

louierodriguez wrote:I appreciate all of your comments.

The fact of the matter is that I knew how everyone one of you would respond and I still have the desire to go to law school and be a lawyer.

Also, I didn't mention it, but I think teaching law would be pretty awesome also.

The whole idea of me making this post though was to figure out why all of you wanted to go to law school. I wasn't expecting to be attacked about why I want to go.

I also think one doesn't have to actually have great reasons on why they want to go to law school. All you need is the desire to want to go. Who gives a shit about why.

When I graduated from undergrad I left to go teach in China. Nobody asked me why I wanted to go there. And even if they did... I'd respond... why the fuck not, it's China.

You all act like there has to be a reason for every little thing people do. There isn't.

And If I can justify wanting to go to Harvard Law because they serve great ice cream there. Then fuck it... I'm going for the ice cream... and you can't tell me that's a bad reason... because that's the only reason I need.
this has to be a flame right? (too lazy to read post history...)

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:31 am

"I want to help people" is not a bad reason to go. Obviously we arent going to save the world, but we are going to greatly impact our clients' lives. The whole point of our job is to help our clients.
Last edited by Nova on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

rambleon65

Bronze

Post by rambleon65 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 am

louierodriguez wrote:I appreciate all of your comments.

You all act like there has to be a reason for every little thing people do. There does not.

I'll give it a shot.
I want to go to law school because I'm cursed. I worked at a law firm (~25 lawyers) as a paralegal / legal processor and even as mundane as the field was (not getting into details, but it wasn't that flattering) I found the work to be really interesting and was drawn to it. 3 years later, i haven't been able to convince myself out of it. I'm cursed.

THe issue with some of the reasons you listed is the connection between the means and the goal, not necessarily the silliness of the reason. For example, if you want to go to Harvard for the great ice cream, sure that's a "valid" reason. In this hypo, you go to Harvard, the chances of you enjoying that ice cream is pretty good.

But most of the reasons you listed just simply isn't reasonably linked to the investment of law school. I'd go line by line...but not here, PM me if you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:37 am

I think louierodriguez is trying to take the biggest troll award from somebody... he best step it up

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:43 am

louierodriguez wrote: The fact of the matter is that I knew how everyone one of you would respond .....

.....I wasn't expecting to be attacked about why I want to go.
louierodriguez wrote:contridictory

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:56 am

rambleon65 wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

I want to help people.

I want to be a badass.

Awesome. :D
Batman doesn't make a lot of money. Bruce Wayne does.
I'll be Bruce Wayne's lawyer.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:58 am

nvm
Last edited by alexrodriguez on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:14 am

louierodriguez wrote:The whole idea of me making this post though was to figure out why all of you wanted to go to law school. I wasn't expecting to be attacked about why I want to go.
Yeah, no. What you actually said was:
louierodriguez wrote:Can all of you remind me why I want to go to law school in the first place?
Then when asked why you wanted to go to law school, you said a bunch of things that are not good reasons to go to law school, and people told you so.
You might be trolling. But if you aren't, this is painfully stupid.
Teaching in China didn't cost $250k, now did it champ?
This isn't a little thing. This is three years of your life and debt that can ruin your life if you can't figure out how to pay it back. This isn't some Eat, Pray, Love soul-finding journey.
Do me a favor and come to UVA. Be in all my classes and take all my exams. You help me with the curve, and you get to have all the ice cream you want. It's a win-win.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:59 am

Thanks for the laughs. I shared this with my roommate and she thinks you're hilarious.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:19 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:29 am

Regulus wrote:
louierodriguez wrote: To attend this institution is a dream of mine. It’s one of my many aspirations. I’m not applying to any other schools. It’s Harvard or nothing. Put your belief in me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 am

In all honesty, I cannot tell if this is an extraordinarily elaborate troll or literally one of the most unaware human beings I've ever seen. Especially because he's been told directly he's not getting into Harvard. Either way, get your popcorn ready for this man's posts. I'm enjoying the show.
louierodriguez wrote:My 3.09 GPA is way below Harvard's floor, but hey, YOLO.
You aren't getting in to Harvard.
louierodriguez wrote:I'm not even at the point of scoring a 160 untimed yet.
No, really, you aren't.
louierodriguez wrote:Just do it. Accept me. Let me in.
This is such a weird thing to put in a personal statement (twice!), and not in a good way.
Put your belief in me. I want the prestige of your university to follow me in all my actions.
This is not something you write when trying to convince a school to accept you. Ever.
I regret my grade point average
...is it at all possible a real human being would put this in a PS?
I’m not applying to any other schools. It’s Harvard or nothing.
I would've paid serious money to be the admissions officer that gets to email this guy's PS and numbers to all of his friends.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am

OP has a better chance of inventing a time machine and going back and fixing his gpa then he does of being admitted to Harvard.

Aim lower, OP. Also if you wanted Harvard so bad then why did you perform so poorly in college?

seagan823

Bronze

Post by seagan823 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 am

I want to help people.

I want to be a badass.

Trolling hard.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:29 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Regulus wrote:

I want to help people.

I want to be a badass.

Not only President Obama and Batman, but also the lawyers handling huge class action lawsuits could satisfy most of these requirements if they wanted to. :lol:

Also, I think the OP is already aware, but wearing a Harvard T-shirt that you got off Amazon will not get you into Harvard with a 3.09 GPA. You will have to be very lucky to get into any of the T14 with a GPA that low; a killer LSAT score is a necessary but insufficient factor in unlocking the doors of the top schools.

Also, this totally gave me the lulz:
louierodriguez wrote:Just do it. Accept me. Let me in. Harvard Law is the only school I wish to attend. I need to prove to myself that I can graduate from this institution. If I can do this then I can do anything. I read the book “One L: The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School” by Scottt Turow when I was 16 years old. It wasn’t assigned reading. It was just a book my mother bought for me. I’d tell my friends and teachers with a big smile on my face that I’d one day go to Harvard Law and they’d laugh. I’d laugh with them, but deep down I knew one day I’d give it a shot and at least apply.

I’m a writer first. That’s where my passion lies. I want to live only in order to write. I left for China by myself when I was 20 years old because I was curious and wanted an adventure. I found a job as an English teacher and loved it. My life was too good to be true and that bothered me, oddly. I like fighting for something. Proving people wrong about the things I’m capable of and struggling to obtain success drives me. Living in China was like driving on auto-pilot. I was too comfortable. I had a beautiful Chinese girlfriend, my very own first apartment, and plenty of pocket money for the young kid I was. I wanted something more. I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself.

I came up with this scheme to leave China to join the United States Navy with the plan of becoming a Cryptologic Linguist. It was my selfish plan to learn Mandarin on the Navy’s dollar, but also serve my country. The plan fell short when I discovered the intelligence community had an issue with my father not being an American citizen. It really hurt me. Not that I lost the opportunity for the job, but that my country couldn’t look past this detail. I’m the grandson of a man who participated in the invasion of Normandy on June 26, 1944 and the Southern Coast of France Invasion in early August 1944. My grandfather was attached to the same ship as Yogi Berra at one point. So I still ask to this day, “Why couldn’t they trust me?” It’s not that they couldn’t, but it’s a rule that must be followed and I understand why, but the reasoning is flawed. Maybe as a Harvard Law graduate I can fix this injustice.

I originally had planned on joining the military after high school, but my father wanted me to go college instead, so I did. I followed his orders. I went to college for two and a half years. That’s how long it took me to get the diploma and get out of dodge. I was in such a rush to get out of the classroom and experience the world. I regret my grade point average, but it was the best I could do between taking five to six classes a semester, working part-time at TGI Friday’s, and dreaming about all the foreign places I would have rather been. I wanted to be an explorer. I wanted to be a sailor. I needed something to write about. I wasn’t looking for a career as anything. I was looking for the experiences of everything. I sacrificed having a true college experience because I was convinced the world could teach me more than the classroom could and I believe it has.

I never wanted to be a doctor, police officer, or firefighter. Even the idea of being a writer is relatively new. From a very early age it was determined I’d become a lawyer. It’s something my parents always wanted and it’s always stuck with me. I’ve always thought it to be their way of ensuring their son grows up to be successful and I’m thankful for that. It’s because of them that I write this. I’m looking for my next adventure and Harvard Law is my next port. I imagine much of that time will be spent in Langdell Hall and I’m prepared for it.

I have a unique perspective to offer. I’m the free spirited introvert who joined the military. My mindset and bearing will go unmatched throughout your pool of applicants. To attend this institution is a dream of mine. It’s one of my many aspirations. I’m not applying to any other schools. It’s Harvard or nothing. Put your belief in me. I want the prestige of your university to follow me in all my actions. I want to make changes for the good of society. I want to leave something on this earth for the world to have. I’m willing to dedicate my life in pursuit of this idea. I’ve demonstrated this once by joining the armed forces and I’ll do it again. I believe in justice, the idea of world peace, and most importantly myself.

I think it was Malcolm Gladwell who gave me the notion that I don’t necessarily have to be the smartest person in the world to do amazing things. All that’s required is that I be smart enough and that I think I am. So please. Just do it. Accept me. Let me in.
this personal statement blows ass.

You are a bad troll. I can't believe I wasted my time to give you substantive advice earlier. I don't even believe you are in the armed forces

Regulus, you would make an amazing PI though. These skills will probably also help with legal research. You should add TLS god to your resume when applying for clerkships.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote: You are a bad troll.
Disagree. OP is an excellent troll--how many trolls keep it up for 40 posts and say something stupid in a convincingly different way each time? Are you not entertained?

If this guy posted on every thread in this forum with "Have you considered demanding they let you in?" and "You should pick whatever you feel like, you don't need a rational reason," I would have way less desire to headbutt a knife than every time DaRascal posts something retarded.

alexrodriguez

Silver

Post by alexrodriguez » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:27 am

I will get into a top 14 if it's the last thing I do.

You all hate all you want.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”