Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cornell $$ vs. Duke

Cornell- 72K
78%
Duke- COA 168K
22%

Total votes: 77

jsmith201

New

Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Post by jsmith201 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Here's the story: I've recently been admitted to Duke off the WL. From what I've read on TLS there is no merit money and very little need. I outperformed my numbers for both schools (I'd rather not list them). Although I haven't heard from Duke, I was hoping to get at least some need-based aid. Cornell offered me 35K/year.

Ideally my SO would cover our COL, but we anticipate needing a little extra in loans to supplement his income.

I've already paid both deposits at Cornell and a deposit on an apartment ($900 and $1150 respectively).

Career Goals- I want to work BigLaw if possible but I am NOT set on NYC. I was planning on trying for NYC, DC and NC.

Thoughts? Is Duke worth more than double what I'd pay at Cornell? I am from upstate NY so the weather does not matter to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Cornell $$ vs. Duke (sticker)

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:21 pm

jsmith201 wrote:Here's the story: I've recently been admitted to Duke off the WL. From what I've read on TLS there is no merit money and very little need. I outperformed my numbers for both schools (I'd rather not list them). Although I haven't heard from Duke, I was hoping to get at least some need-based aid. Cornell offered me 35K/year.

Ideally my SO would cover our COL, but we anticipate needing a little extra in loans to supplement his income.

I've already paid both deposits at Cornell and a deposit on an apartment ($900 and $1150 respectively).

Career Goals- I want to work BigLaw if possible but I am NOT set on NYC. I was planning on trying for NYC, DC and NC.

Thoughts? Is Duke worth more than double what I'd pay at Cornell? I am from upstate NY so the weather does not matter to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
No

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Lincoln wrote:
jsmith201 wrote:Here's the story: I've recently been admitted to Duke off the WL. From what I've read on TLS there is no merit money and very little need. I outperformed my numbers for both schools (I'd rather not list them). Although I haven't heard from Duke, I was hoping to get at least some need-based aid. Cornell offered me 35K/year.

No
+1

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Cornell

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

This isn't even a question. I don't feel like searching for the jpeg of the money burning from Batman, but that is what Duke would be--pure lunacy. Cornell is the only option here .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Paying ~$100K more for Duke than Cornell would be utter madness. These are peer schools. Anyone who votes for Duke here is an idiot.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Ask Duke about financial aid - I know more than one person who has gotten off the WL at Duke and has been given money.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:49 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Ask Duke about financial aid - I know more than one person who has gotten off the WL at Duke and has been given money.
They will probably give you something. But considering the cost of living difference, and the fact that they are peer schools, there is no way Duke makes sense. They may give you $20 or $30k, there is no way in hell they give you $100k.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Who is the jackass that voted Duke?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:57 pm

I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke because over the course of your career if you're successful the difference in costs right now will look like chump change and Duke is better (DNCG not CNDG) overall. The big downside for me would be that heat (especially in the summer) to be honest because I'm from up north!!

Besides, from everything I've heard Duke is a really fun place to be and if you like college hoops you already know! They don't put a price on happiness my friend!! I would visit! :P

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:00 pm

DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke because over the course of your career if you're successful the difference in costs right now will look like chump change and Duke is better (DCNG not CNGD) overall. The big downside for me would be that heat (especially in the summer) to be honest because I'm from up north!!

Besides, from everything I've heard Duke is a really fun place to be and if you like college hoops you already know! They don't put a price on happiness my friend!! I would visit! :P
Meh troll. If this is for real though, it's so retarded it's funny--I like the smiley faces and exclamation marks.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:01 pm

DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke because over the course of your career if you're successful the difference in costs right now will look like chump change and Duke is better (DCNG not CNGD) overall. The big downside for me would be that heat (especially in the summer) to be honest because I'm from up north!!

Most of your trolling is tolerable, but this is pretty awful and liable to mislead op. Come on, you're better than that. Stick to off topic trolling or if you must non-harmful on topic trolling like Dr. Dre.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:03 pm

Well I'm just saying what I would probably do. I dunno....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:10 pm

DaRascal wrote:I have yet to vote but I would personally pick Duke
Of course you would. You're an idiot. No one here would expect anything different of you.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Love Duke. Could not imagine doing law school anywhere else. But you should choose Cornell and it is not really close (unless you are from a wealthy family and have an extreme aversion to hills and snow).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:19 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
Of course you would. You're an idiot. No one here would expect anything different of you.
Often the most substantive indicator to arise from a Choosing a Law School thread is when DaRascal makes a suggestion: you always know the exact opposite is TCR.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Micdiddy wrote:

Most of your trolling is tolerable, but this is pretty awful and liable to mislead op. Come on, you're better than that. Stick to off topic trolling or if you must non-harmful on topic trolling like Dr. Dre.
This. Darascal, I am very disappointed in you. You're better than this. Troll better/funnier.

OP, Cornell is the obvious choice. Just FYI I was accepted to both schools outright (not waitlisted) and Cornell offered me 23K more and Duke matched. If you really prefer Duke perhaps you can negotiate with them, although I'm not sure how ameniable they are to doing this for waitlisted people.

Also, how the F did you get 35K per year if you over performed your numbers? Seriously, this secretive stuff is not cool, you need to share your story when your cycle is over to help future generations of applicants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
Often the most substantive indicator to arise from a Choosing a Law School thread is when DaRascal makes a suggestion: you always know the exact opposite is TCR.
Perhaps DaRascal is the same person who runs the "successful troll" account on ATL?

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

DaRascal wrote:Well I'm just saying what I would probably do. I dunno....
You're a terrible, obvious, and unfunny troll, so what you would probably do is irrelevant.

OP, Cornell is the right choice here. Duke isn't $100k better.

willwilliams1334

New

Post by willwilliams1334 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:05 pm

how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:06 pm

willwilliams1334 wrote:how is cornell's placement compared to duke's?
For biglaw + clerkship numbers at a glance, slightly better or slightly worse(depends on what year you look at. So random fluctuations in the data are the only difference) Cornell has a greater NYC focus for placement than Duke tho Duke is pretty NYC focused too. Very similar schools and at equal price, OP might choose Duke for possibly wanting to work in NC...but yeah, it isn't equal cost.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:45 pm

sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=duke

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Lincoln wrote:
sinfiery is spot on. Duke's clerkships numbers are generally a bit better, but otherwise it's about the same. This is for the class of 2012:

Yeah they're pretty similar. The key difference is *where* they are placing these biglaw jobs. Cornell is all-out-balls-to-the-wall NY focused. Duke places less in NY overall but has broader reach

EDIT: How are you calculating your COA for Duke? that seems pretty low

willwilliams1334

New

Post by willwilliams1334 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:28 am

Lincoln wrote:

cornell seems to place way above its rank for biglaw

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:46 am

Seriously, how is this a question?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”