Opportunity cost of sitting out Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jad0re

New

Opportunity cost of sitting out

Post by jad0re » Thu May 30, 2013 4:16 pm

thanks
Last edited by jad0re on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alphebetagamma

New

Re: Opportunity cost of sitting out

Post by alphebetagamma » Thu May 30, 2013 4:22 pm

If you can/do, indeed, score a 170 in June and you have a good GPA then yes, it is worth sitting out.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Those scholarship increase figures are averages, right? Presumably higher numbers than the median increase.

Sit out the year. Decent t25 = Probably no Biglaw. A 170 with those figures = A school that will probably put you into Biglaw.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu May 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Definitely worth sitting out. A 30-40k guaranteed job is good enough to do for one year for a potentially life changing cycle.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm

is your work near your home? have you tried explaining to your parents the significance of taking a year off and what you are trying to do? offer to give them ~200/mo or something for groceries to compensate, or pay half the electricity bill, and explain why you need to spend another year at home rent free. I fully understand the urge to flee home after college -- I couldn't imagine moving back in with my parents for more than two month after four years of living alone in college -- but its worth it if you can save even $10K to cover part of CoL as a 1L. Moreover, studying for the LSAT and applying for law school are stressful enough, you need a supportive environment, and moving out does not provide that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Thu May 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Definitely worth sitting out. A 30-40k guaranteed job is good enough to do for one year for a potentially life changing cycle.
+1. If you're scoring 175+ and your GPA is decent (i.e., 3.5+), you'll be looking at an awesome admissions cycle. You'll definitely get better offers than a half-ride scholly to a T25.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Thu May 30, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm in the same boat except that I didn't get any scholarship money at the T1 I got into and that was when I got accepted with a 3.6+ GPA. Now my GPA has dipped to a 3.49 (graduated so it'll stay there). No clue what we should do. I'm guessing we better go this year and gamble on good grades.

In short, life's too short for law school and silly hypotheticals. Law school admissions are rigged just like the NBA lol. Do you play poker by any chance? 8)

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:31 pm

What is your GPA? Why is CCN out of the picture?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 pm

As for your data crunching, because law salaries are so effected by sector and self selection so effects sector, the calculations you have are based on shit data and thus, aren't very reliable.

But also, those figures are for starting salary. In law, the starting salary is not a proper gauge for your salary at the last year of your career. You will have the same path and time in biglaw if you go this year or next. So for everything you can calculate, you will go through it regardless of when you start.

Get that 170 and post your GPA if you want some advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 pm

a shitty deskjob isn't even a resume gap. Simply showing that you've been in a work environment and not fucked up is the standard for W/E. Of course OCI interviewers will give some boost to "prestigious W/E but no one expects a recent college grad to have had some fantastic job.

jad0re

New

Post by jad0re » Fri May 31, 2013 11:58 am

@DaRascal, I do play poker occasionally. Not really into high-stakes gambling though (like my career).

@sinfiery, yeah I figured they are pretty much useless for instance I used 40k as the median salary for business sector and 30k for Long term PT& Short term jobs off ABA reports, mostly wild guesses lol. But oh well, playing the math geek seemed like a decent excuse to get away from the LSAT once in a while. :wink:

@JamMasterJ and everyone else including above, thank you all for your advice. What would I do without TLS. I'll make sure to focus on the LSAT.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 pm

Haha, no worries. I did it myself. Gotta make some use of that finance degree I have..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”