Turning down bigger scholarships? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
billiris321

New

Re: Turning down bigger scholarships?

Post by billiris321 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 am

You could try and befriend a few football players at these universities. Oh wait, even that would be a waste of time. Oregon is being investigated for recruiting violations, Syracuse is hopeless and UNH is plagued by budget restrictions. Moreover, these universities are located in fairly isolated areas not occupied by agencies and sports law firms.

Time for the GMAT dude or find a Plan B.

jetsfan1

Silver

Re: Turning down bigger scholarships?

Post by jetsfan1 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 am

OP I would like to wish you the best of luck achieving your goals, sincerely.

That being said, as someone who has personally played college and high school football with multiple nfl players and has gone through the agent-finding process myself (didn't end up signing anything, kind of realized I wasn't good enough and that it was time to move on in my life) I hope you know how this whole process works. First of all, college athletes are forbidden to talk to an agent while still playing. While you wouldn't yet be an agent while doin your internship, there is definitely some moral gray line your crossing by gettin to know these players and getting close to them just so that when you get your law degree they will choose you. Second, for any athlete worth signing, they already have established agents all over them, even the small time guys. You might have a chance to get someone like me, but to be honest guys like me aren't worth signing bc one out of one hundred even makes it to a training camp, and you only get paid once he signs that contract.

I think your best shot is maybe with one of the bigger agent "firms". I don't know much about them or how they hire, but I'm sure an established client list is something they look for.

Bottom line is, no college athlete who is being sought after by multiple agents is going to sign with the law school kid who is cleaning up their towels or bugging them for pr stuff everyday, which I'm sure this internship you speak of would entail.

All that being said, please don't give up on your dream. However, I think you need to realize its not feasible coming right out of law school. Focus on getting a traditional law school job right out of school (read: big law) at proskauer (FYI I know nothing about this particular firm trusting tls here). In your spare time, if there is any, work on building connections and maybe independently sign an athlete or two. I met one guy during my search who held a regular job as a lawyer but was an agent for a couple of guys in his spare time. He loved it, it kept him involved in sports, even if it really didn't make him much extra money. Maybe you start there and try to move on up.

Now comes the tough part. In order to get there, finding a good job out of law school and tryin to build connections/clientele on the side, you need to retake harddddd. It sucks. I know. I'm in the process of taking extra year(s) off for it as well. But it's gonna be worth it.

I sincerely hope this post helped you out OP, and I hope you get where you need to be. Best of luck to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”