J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
itachiuchiha

Silver

J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Post by itachiuchiha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:18 pm

What kind of an advantage would i get in the job market for entertainment law if i were to pursue a degree of this sort from the university of miami law school? let's leave debt aside and talk about job prospect advantages solely.

guano

Gold

Re: J.D./M.M. in Music Business and Entertainment Industries UM

Post by guano » Mon May 06, 2013 12:44 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:What kind of an advantage would i get in the job market for entertainment law if i were to pursue a degree of this sort from the university of miami law school? let's leave debt aside and talk about job prospect advantages solely.
I think the bigger issue is that it's the U of M, rather than the details of the degree

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:45 pm

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:46 pm

my concern is the location. entertainment law is big in NY or Cali, I am not sure about the prospects in FL

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon May 06, 2013 12:49 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:my concern is the location. entertainment law is big in NY or Cali, I am not sure about the prospects in FL
If you go to Miami, your concern should be employment - any kind of employment

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Northwestern runs a JD/Masters in Music program that has produced some notable graduates in the industry. Their music program is top notch; this is the only JD/MM program I have discovered of any repute.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Northwestern runs a JD/Masters in Music program that has produced some notable graduates in the industry. Their music program is top notch; this is the only JD/MM program I have discovered of any repute.
I didn't think it was possible for someone to substantively address the OP and was getting ready for popcorn.gif (lol entertainment law, space law, bird law, et al) but this post is surprisingly substantive.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm

buddytyler wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Northwestern runs a JD/Masters in Music program that has produced some notable graduates in the industry. Their music program is top notch; this is the only JD/MM program I have discovered of any repute.
I didn't think it was possible for someone to substantively address the OP and was getting ready for popcorn.gif (lol entertainment law, space law, bird law, et al) but this post is surprisingly substantive.
my thoughts exactly, and I am the op

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:58 pm

buddytyler wrote:
It doesn't though. OP's chances of getting "entertainment law" from Miami are SPS, even if he wants to work in LA or NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue May 07, 2013 1:28 am

Fairly trollicious, but I'll bite.

Don't do a joint degree. Instead, work for a year or two in the industry. Instead of spending money, you'll be making money, and if you do it right, you'll have a bigger advantage come legal hiring time. Yay!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Fairly trollicious, but I'll bite.

Don't do a joint degree. Instead, work for a year or two in the industry. Instead of spending money, you'll be making money, and if you do it right, you'll have a bigger advantage come legal hiring time. Yay!
This seems like really good advice in general for people looking into joint degrees. Thanks for sharing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”