CLS vs SLS Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CLS v. SLS

CLS
12%
SLS
88%

Total votes: 57

sd1234

Bronze

CLS vs SLS

Post by sd1234 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:18 pm

Hey all,

I'm currently deposited at Columbia, and waitlisted at HLS and SLS. While I know that I'd go to HLS in a heartbeat if I got in, I don't know quite as much about SLS and was looking for some of your thoughts. I figure if I do hit the jackpot and get in, I won't have much time to figure it out so I'm just trying to cover my bases.

A little bit of background about what I'm looking for: I'm interested in international public interest and plan to work abroad in developing countries for at least several years after graduating. I'm also interested in policy and government work, but further down the line probably. Legal reform is the major area I know I'm interested in at this point, though I'm sure that will evolve while I'm at law school. I'm also strongly considering a joint MPP/MPA/MIA program.

I think my major questions are:
1) How does SLS compare to CLS's international programs?
2) What about summer internships abroad? Particularly in things like legal reform and human rights generally.
3) Internationally, who has the edge in prestige?
4) Will I be limiting myself by putting myself in Palo Alto as opposed to NYC, especially as far as opportunities during the school year go?
5) Whats the student body like at SLS? I know CLS has a reputation for having a lot of people gunning for Biglaw, but thats true of most schools from what I understand...is the same true of SLS? Other observations on the student body? Is there much of a PI community?

Any thoughts in addition to answers to those specific questions would be great as well. Thanks!

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri May 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: CLS vs SLS

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm interested in very similar things and faced with the exact same options; CLS deposit, S WL. So I've thought about this quite a bit as well. However, its extremely premature for both of us. Chances of getting off the WL at stanford as very slim, esp. this year with a huge waitlist. so this conversation is very likely to be moot.

Just for fun though... Strictly career wise, assuming you or I did get off the WL, I would take probably Stanford over CLS, even for these goals. Internationally I think they have the same prestige in most places (although not sure why prestige matters here), and I don't think palo alto/SF will be limiting whatsoever when it comes to opportunities vis a vis new york. Just because you can walk by the UN building doesn't get you much closer to working for it. As for joint programs, both Stanford and Columbia have an official link with the woodrow wilson school at princeton, which would arguably be the best place for international PI connections (I guess if you went to SLS you'd have to move and you couldn't commute from the same area, this would matter most if you had a family I guess). And Stanford is starting some interesting new programs and centers for international/comparative law, although they won't have the same longevity of dominance in the field. I feel that they will open up similar opportunities, it will just be easier to actually get them at stanford.

Student body at SLS has the stereotype for being more "relaxed", and there's definitely a west coast v east coast vibe, but thats an issue of preference. I met 2 students at CLS admitted students day who were accepted at stanford but taking columbia anyway because they felt more comfortable on the east coast and it was more their vibe. I also know plenty of people who go to stanford/cal to avoid columbia/harvard student types.

good luck to both of us!

sd1234

Bronze

Post by sd1234 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Yep you hit on just about all my thoughts on this. Both schools have the connections to WW, SAIS, HKS etc. Theres more international programs at CLS (though the ones that are at SLS sound pretty awesome..and perhaps easier to access due to less competition), and more quality of life at SLS. I don't have a family would be moving with me or anything, but my whole life is on the east coast, so that's definitely pulling me there. The other advantage I figure CLS has though is that, while living close to the UN doesn't get you a job there, living close to it (or some other interesting organization) might make it possible for you to do work for them during the school year. As far as prestige goes, I mean if you want to work for like, I don't know the World Bank or a development firm like Chemonics or something like that, then I can imagine it mattering (and while lawyers are definitely necessary to what they do, they may not be finely in tune with the nuances of the LS rankings etc.).

But you're right about this likely being a moot point! Just figure you gotta know in case they call and you have 24 hours to make up your mind. Good luck!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 5:12 pm

sd1234 wrote: But you're right about this likely being a moot point! Just figure you gotta know in case they call and you have 24 hours to make up your mind. Good luck!
Lol if this happened I would literally lose my shit, as I'm sure you would too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri May 03, 2013 6:47 pm

SLS.

Only thing CLS would [maybe] be comparable at with SLS is NYC big law.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 pm

SLS

it is the only school worth going to in CA

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:SLS

Hatin on berk now too?

Where's that California love?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Lol

Not to mention this has nothing to do with OPs decision

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri May 03, 2013 10:27 pm

Last edited by Myself on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat May 04, 2013 4:21 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Lol

eh kinda. It's an ego booster, if he chooses to attend SLS.

sd1234

Bronze

Post by sd1234 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Lol

eh kinda. It's an ego booster, if he chooses to attend SLS.
lol if im the one person to get off the WL...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”