WUSTL, W&M, UW, retake, getting back to Seattle? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

UW ($85,298 COA)
56%
WUSTL ($62,307 COA)
17%
W&M ($44,398 COA)
6%
Retake
22%

Total votes: 18

Milk Man

New

WUSTL, W&M, UW, retake, getting back to Seattle?

Post by Milk Man » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm

I have narrowed my choices down to three: University of Washington, WUSTL, and William & Mary. Still waiting to hear from Georgetown and I am waitlisted at Columbia (no idea how, never thought of myself as particularly special, I just assume they didn’t have time to get to my application). I am leaning towards UW at this point.

After money I’ve saved for school and scholarships, the COA/total debt (paid for with loans) at graduation based on the Georgetown calculator breaks down like this:

UW $85,298
WUSTL $62,307
W&M $44,398

I would love to work in some capacity surrounding the government, whether it is public or private. I would prefer to work at the federal level, but based on my options, I would also be very happy working at the state level (in Washington). I would also consider big-law if that were an option.

I am from Seattle and this is the only place I have ties, but would love to attend law-school in another city. I would work anywhere for a few years after. However, I definitely want to either be back in Seattle or in D.C. 4 to 5 years after graduation.

My GPA is 3.69 and my LSAT is 165. I have only taken it once, but I will be retaking in June to see if I can open up any options more options if I wait a year.
Last edited by Milk Man on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dmini7

Silver

Re: WUSTL, U of Washington, W&M?

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Milk Man wrote:I have narrowed my choices down to three: University of Washington, WUSTL, and William & Mary. Still waiting to hear from Georgetown and I am waitlisted at Columbia (no idea how, never thought of myself as particularly special, I just assume they didn’t have time to get to my application). I am leaning towards UW at this point.

After money I’ve saved for school and scholarships, the COA/total debt at graduation based on the Georgetown calculator breaks down like this:

UW $85,298
WUSTL $62,307
W&M $44,398

I would love to work in some capacity surrounding the government, whether it is public or private. I would prefer to work at the federal level, but based on my options, I would also be very happy working at the state level (in Washington). I would also consider big-law if that were an option.

I am from Seattle and this is the only place I have ties, but would love to attend law-school in another city. I would work anywhere for a few years after. However, I definitely want to either be back in Seattle or in D.C. 4 to 5 years after graduation.

My GPA is 3.69 and my LSAT is 165. I have only taken it once, but I will be retaking in June to see if I can open up any options more options if I wait a year.

I would personally say stay in UW. Having ties to the area actually makes you a strong candidate for a job there (which is a place a lot of people want to work). I really know nothing about the market though so can't say anything about the availability of jobs there., but it seems to fit your career goals best. My second choice for you would probably be W&M due to proximity to D.C. All are pretty affordable options and I think they are justified, I just don't see WUSTL elevated prestige compared to the other two will carry you to either market better than the others.

Milk Man

New

Post by Milk Man » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:30 pm

How difficult would it be to get back to Seattle with a JD from W&M?
Last edited by Milk Man on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Just going by the numbers, these schools all place very differently:

WUSTL mostly in the midwest, about 8% in DC, and nobody in WA.
W&M mostly in the mid-Atlantic, 20% in DC, and nobody in WA.
UW almost exclusively on the west coast, nobody in DC, and a lot in WA.

WUSTL isn't going to help you in WA or DC.

None of these schools give you a good crack at fed gov. W&M has that high govt placement on LST, but bear in mind that a lot of those are state-level and lower jobs.

UW is the safer play. 85k is a lot, but it won't ruin you. W&M is fine at that price, but only if you're okay working in VA as a fall-back plan -- if not, UW.

Milk Man

New

Post by Milk Man » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:48 pm

Is it possible to get back to Seattle/Washington after a few years of work experience if I go out of state, or is that a pretty big risk?

I would be willing to work local in Virginia for a few years if I couldn't get anything in D.C. Midwest is less appealing, but could WUSTL carry to the South at all?

It is hard to pass up WUSTL at $20,000 cheaper or W&M at half the price of UW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 pm

Milk Man wrote:How difficult would it be to get back to Seattle with a JD from W&M?
Insanely hard. I know someone who tried from W&M who had great credentials and they faced a brick wall. For starters, being on east coast makes travel hellish getting back to PNW.

You should try to negotiate money from Washington and go there, where you want to work is so important and all the options besides UW will not get you where you want to work.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Re: WUSTL, W&M, UW, retake, getting back to Seattle?

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:27 pm

I have a good friend that took WUSTL w/ 25k a year schollie over UW at sticker (in state). From Seattle and wants to return to the Pacific NW. If he could do it over, he'd go to UW at sticker every time. Being in the market you want to end up in is worth 25k, IMO.

Edit: Going to W&M gives you an outside shot at DC. Going to WUSTL gives you a, somewhat generously, ~26% shot at a good outcome (100+ firm or fed clerkship). If you'd really only be happy in the PNW or doing fed work (spoiler: The feds ain't hiring. And no sign that they ever will be again.) Going to UW will cost you a bit more, but it will give you a MUCH higher (60% employed in WA) chance at an outcome that you'll actually want. I don't know how WUSTL places in the PNW, but it can't be very well.

K Rock

Bronze

Post by K Rock » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Milk Man wrote:Is it possible to get back to Seattle/Washington after a few years of work experience if I go out of state, or is that a pretty big risk?

I would be willing to work local in Virginia for a few years if I couldn't get anything in D.C. Midwest is less appealing, but could WUSTL carry to the South at all?

It is hard to pass up WUSTL at $20,000 cheaper or W&M at half the price of UW.
Being an attorney isn't one of those careers where you just pack up and move after a few years. You will have a lot of connections and clients wherever you start your practice that you likely will not want to give up. Normally I would tell you to retake, but from what I hear UW is super stingy with money so I'm not even sure that a higher LSAT will help you reduce costs, and UW is your best bet for seattle. I think UW at ~85k total is reasonable if that is where you have ties and where you want to practice.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:I have a good friend that took WUSTL w/ 25k a year schollie over UW at sticker (in state). From Seattle and wants to return to the Pacific NW. If he could do it over, he'd go to UW at sticker every time. Being in the market you want to end up in is worth 25k, IMO.
I don't know anyone from the PNW, or anyone going to the PNW. It's just not an area that the school sends people to. I think the new Semester in Practice externship will help a lot for people looking to wind up in random nooks of the country, especially those who want to work in government jobs (since that's most likely where the SiP program will place people). But given OP's strong desire for Seattle and the fact that 80kish is a decent price for UW, I think OP should probably take UW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 pm

If you're ok with doing non-biglaw work in Seattle, then UW is the only possible choice here.

This being said, I would retake and aim for a T14 school.

Milk Man

New

Post by Milk Man » Wed May 01, 2013 1:46 am

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely seems like UW would be the best choice at this point, it just sucks they don't negotiate scholarships or offer much aid period. Anybody know what the portability of a lower T14 would be back to the Pacific Northwest?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed May 01, 2013 1:53 am

Seattle is hard to get even for people at elite schools. The only school worth considering here is UW.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 am

Milk Man wrote:Anybody know what the portability of a lower T14 would be back to the Pacific Northwest?
Much better than WUSTL or WM. Check the firm websites for Seattle and Portland. They both take a smattering of T14 locals who want to return. With your ties I think that's the best plan because it gives you much better back up options than UW.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”