UCLA with 30k or Penn at sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Big Dog

Silver

Re: UCLA with 30k or Penn at sticker

Post by Big Dog » Wed May 01, 2013 4:00 pm

I've decided not to wait another year to attend law school. I don't think it is the right decision for me life-wise, and I'm not sure it makes sense when you consider the lost earnings associated with beginning work as a lawyer a year later in life.
Do you not understand simple math? With a higher LSAT, you could easily earn a six figure scholarship from UCLA. And that scholarship would be tax free....

mk87

New

Post by mk87 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:22 pm

I do thank you for your comments, even the insulting ones. I don't feel comfortable turning down the offers that I have now and retaking in Oct in the hopes that I will drastically raise my score. I should have included in my original post that I have already taken the LSAT twice. I decided to re-take in 2012, and I don't know how realistic it is for me to increase my score much from where it is now. I also do not expect UCLA to increase my scholarship. I have been in honest conversation with them, and it's a low-risk opportunity to possibly get more funds if they are available and to get off waitlists and increase my options. I'm sorry to disappoint.

UCLA $ or Penn at sticker?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed May 01, 2013 5:25 pm

these are your only choices? youre not hiding a cornell full ride from us, are ya?

mk87

New

Post by mk87 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:34 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:these are your only choices? youre not hiding a cornell full ride from us, are ya?
Haha nope. Waitlisted at Georgetown, held at Northwestern. Rejected from Berkeley.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 pm

mk87 wrote:
UCLA $ or Penn at sticker?
While the opinions from last page were mostly "retake", I did procure an opinion on the previous page that sums up TLS wisdom on this subject:
jbagelboy wrote:
For speculations sake, Penn is worth sticker way, way more than UCLA is worth what you'd be paying. Retake aside that would be my vote.
Either way, it also sounds like you are pretty rooted to the LA area, so you might just end up choosing that no matter what we say.. if you really want to be a successful attorney and you are committed to these two options though, my vote remains Penn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mk87

New

Post by mk87 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
mk87 wrote:
Either way, it also sounds like you are pretty rooted to the LA area, so you might just end up choosing that no matter what we say.. if you really want to be a successful attorney and you are committed to these two options though, my vote remains Penn.
I really appreciate that. Thanks!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:What makes you think UCLA will raise your scholarship just because you get a higher LSAT score over the summer? You will have already deposited, so you have no leverage.
It's possible that they might. Leverage would be saying sayanora to attending that year.

trojandave

Bronze

Post by trojandave » Wed May 01, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm in LA as well and have multiple friends who attended Penn and made it back here without any problem. I'd vote for Penn - it will open up doors all over the country. That being said, if you do still pick UCLA, just try to be as high up the class rankings as possible and apply to transfer - I've heard some schools will up schollys to prevent transfers. Worth a shot

mk87

New

Post by mk87 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:00 pm

trojandave wrote:I'm in LA as well and have multiple friends who attended Penn and made it back here without any problem. I'd vote for Penn - it will open up doors all over the country. That being said, if you do still pick UCLA, just try to be as high up the class rankings as possible and apply to transfer - I've heard some schools will up schollys to prevent transfers. Worth a shot

Great! Thanks. Forgot to mention, and your name reminded me, I'm WLed at USC too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”