UNH Law full ride vs BC/BU Law full price vs Work Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
esh12

New

UNH Law full ride vs BC/BU Law full price vs Work

Post by esh12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 pm

Not sure what to do right now.. UNH Law outdid itself and offered me a full-tuition scholarship for three years (~120k total) with admission to join their DW Scholars Program. Since I am originally in-state and my folks live about 35 minutes from campus, I would be able to live at home and go to school for free. I'd be graduating with virtually no debt. My other option is to go to BC/BU Law at full price tag, or continue working at my current gig in Boston at a major financial services firm (making around ~$70k a year and study for the CFA to eventually try to make it to portfolio management).

Given those three options, I'm torn on what to do. Any advice? I have to decide by June 1...

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Re: UNH Law full ride vs BC/BU Law full price vs Work

Post by WokeUpInACar » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:19 pm

esh12 wrote:Not sure what to do right now.. UNH Law outdid itself and offered me a full-tuition scholarship. Since I am originally in-state and my folks live about 35 minutes from campus, I would be able to live at home and go to school for free. My other option is to go to BC/BU Law at full price tag, or continue working at my current gig in Boston at a major financial services firm (making around ~$70k a year and study for the CFA to eventually try to make it to portfolio management).

Given those three options, I'm torn on what to do. Any advice?
Keep the job. This is not remotely close.

enigmabk

Bronze

Post by enigmabk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 pm

I wouldnt be surprised if half of BC/BU grads would eat a baby for your current job

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:10 pm

enigmabk wrote:I wouldnt be surprised if half of BC/BU grads would eat a baby for your current job

They both have on average 65% Full time JD req'd job placement. So that really ain't bad. Probably a third would eat a baby... another 20% would eat a cute puppy.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:13 pm

esh12 wrote:Not sure what to do right now.. UNH Law outdid itself and offered me a full-tuition scholarship for three years (~120k total) with admission to join their DW Scholars Program. Since I am originally in-state and my folks live about 35 minutes from campus, I would be able to live at home and go to school for free. I'd be graduating with virtually no debt. My other option is to go to BC/BU Law at full price tag, or continue working at my current gig in Boston at a major financial services firm (making around ~$70k a year and study for the CFA to eventually try to make it to portfolio management).

Given those three options, I'm torn on what to do. Any advice? I have to decide by June 1...

So.... here's what I need to know to give advice:

1) Do you actually want to be a lawyer?
2) Are you happy in your current job?
3) Where do you want to work post grad and in what kind of job?
4) Will your current employer defray any of the cost of law school in Boston for you?
5) What are the GPA stipulations on the UNH scholly? Their placement in FT/JD req'd jobs is only about 6% less than BC/BU.
6) How is bean town recovering?
Last edited by spleenworship on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:23 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
esh12 wrote:Not sure what to do right now.. UNH Law outdid itself and offered me a full-tuition scholarship. Since I am originally in-state and my folks live about 35 minutes from campus, I would be able to live at home and go to school for free. My other option is to go to BC/BU Law at full price tag, or continue working at my current gig in Boston at a major financial services firm (making around ~$70k a year and study for the CFA to eventually try to make it to portfolio management).

Yes keep the job. 70k would be a great outcome from these schools.

esh12

New

Post by esh12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:43 pm

spleenworship wrote: So.... here's what I need to know to give advice:

1) Do you actually want to be a lawyer?
2) Are you happy in your current job?
3) Where do you want to work post grad and in what kind of job?
4) Will your current employer defray any of the cost of law school in Boston for you?
5) What are the GPA stipulations on the UNH scholly? Their placement in FT/JD req'd jobs is only about 6% less than BC/BU.
6) How is bean town recovering?
1) Yes. Of the research I've done, I think my personality is more suited toward analytical/introverted work required of a lawyer. I feel more comfortable working alone in a quiet office environment going over documents.
2) I am happy in my current job but it is more suited toward an extroverted, outgoing personality. I work on an investment sales desk and it can be loud and fast-paced. Keeps me very busy and the day ends before I know it (a plus). 9-5 too.
3) I want to work in corporate law (securities, M&A, or IP) in New York City first, Boston second. Love NYC's energy.
4) No
5) 3.0 minimum
6) People here are regaining their senses and getting back to the daily grind. Had a moment of silence today throughout the city. Still surreal that something like this happened so close to where I live.

empyreanrrv

Bronze

Post by empyreanrrv » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 am

BU/BC are not worth sticker-- if you want to have a good chance working in corporate law you need to retake the LSAT and go to a T14. Especially if you are fine working in NY.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 am

WokeUpInACar wrote:

+1

If we were talking about BU/BC with a full ride, I'd say go for it.. But those schools aren't worth anywhere close to sticker, and UNH isn't worth leaving a 70k job for. If you want to do law school, retake and reapply. It'll always be there for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:50 am

Also, moved to the appropriate forum. OP, if you could make sure you provide as much of this info as possible it would help a lot.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:51 am

Dude keep the job by far

If you want a good shot at NYC biglaw too need to retake and do better than BC/BU

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:53 am

You will probably need to be extroverted to be a lawyer as well. I am lucky to be earning 75k as a lawyer, but my hours are more like 8-7 with short to no lunch break. My time flies too. I look up from my computer and it's already 530 and half the office is gone. Sleep and work and little else.

And I am among the "lucky ones"

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 am

esh12 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:5) What are the GPA stipulations on the UNH scholly?
5) 3.0 minimum
Then you only have a 50% chance of keeping the full ride. Not worth it.

Keep the job. Study after work and retake the LSAT as many times as you have to for a 170+ if you are convinced that you want to be a lawyer, but right now you're already way better off than more than half of recent law grads.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:10 am

Most people in your job area (finance, consulting, audit, etc.) who plan on pursuing a professional degree (JD, MBA, etc.) do so because they're very unsatisfied with their current job or believe that their career path is moving towards a dead end while they're still in their 20s. You seem to like your current job and you are on track to move to a part of the business that you'll really like (portfolio management).

Saying that, most people who do feel like they're at a dead end, but still have a good job (like me) would not consider your options. To even consider law school, you should have a T-14 or bust attitude. Anything less will give you a very, very poor chance of advancing your career.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:13 am

UNH ain't gonna get you corporate law and the chances from BU/BC aren't high enough to justify the debt.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 am

Also OP if you think portfolio mgmt is too fast paced/extroverted I don't know why you want to do NYC corporate

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:22 pm

rad lulz wrote:Also OP if you think portfolio mgmt is too fast paced/extroverted I don't know why you want to do NYC corporate

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:30 pm

After reading your replies to my questions my answer is:

Retake and Reapply until you get 170+. Keep job until then.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:21 pm

spleenworship wrote:After reading your replies to my questions my answer is:

Retake and Reapply until you get 170+. Keep job until then.

+1 this is the credited response.

If you don't dislike your job, what is the rush to leave? I understand that your position (like mine) may have a salary ceiling that could be bested in law, but only safely with a T13 degree. So keep making & saving that money, study and retake, apply next year and profit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”