Michigan($) vs. USC($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Darienk

New

Michigan($) vs. USC($$$$)

Post by Darienk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Like most of you, I'm facing a very tough decision and would like to hear your honest opinions. I've visited both schools and they're both awesome. USC's small class size is a plus, Michigan's prestige is a plus, and they both have great supportive faculty. Here's a little background about me:

I have ties to Chicago and California. I'm a finance major interested in clerking then going into BigLaw. Would like to work in corporate tax and/or Private equity. Also, I would like to work in NY or LA.

Leaving Michigan I would graduate with about $170k-$180k in debt, USC I'd come out around $75k-$85k in debt.

I have connections in the entertainment industry in LA and potentially a nice condo downtown for very cheap. Michigan would be closer to some immediate family in Chicago. Both schools have great alumni, and networking is a huge deal for me. I'm interested in going abroad for a semester and interning during my 2L or 3L semesters. I enjoy the big city, but I also love Ann Arbor's small town vibe.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. Please let me know if you guys want to know some more information.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: Michigan($) vs. USC($$$$)

Post by Grazzhoppa » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Michigan is better for clerking/biglaw but I'd go to USC on the cheap.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:40 pm

Given ur goals, and that you are not wedded to SoCal, Michigan

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Michigan is MUCH better for NYC biglaw. I don't know if either school is better for LA. I know top 1/3 is necessary for LA biglaw from USC, but I don't know what grades are needed at Mich.

I'd say Michigan if you're seriously considering NYC because USC won't get you there.

Darienk

New

Post by Darienk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Michigan is MUCH better for NYC biglaw. I don't know if either school is better for LA. I know top 1/3 is necessary for LA biglaw from USC, but I don't know what grades are needed at Mich.

I'd say Michigan if you're seriously considering NYC because USC won't get you there.

A few weeks ago I was dead-set on working in NY, but after visiting LA I like it and wouldn't mind working here. Same salary, great weather, chill environment, etc. I'm trying to figure out what makes NY's legal market better than LA's. The underlying question here is do I want to work in NY or LA after graduation. USC has a huge home court advantage in LA, but it's very hard to get to NY. Michigan is great at placing in NY and their degree is much more portable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

y2zipper

New

Post by y2zipper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:20 pm

The advantage is that you don't have to end up in the California Job Market., lol. I don't know if the job prospects are worth 100K, though.

What you're looking at is this...

USC pigeonholes you to LA, but 75-85K in debt probably doesn't kill you if big law sucks, but you're probably not getting NY out of it.

Michigan means biglaw/PI or bust just because of the debt number. It gives you a much better chance, but you lose the ability to change your mind, quit or get fired for awhile.

I think USC with ties and a cheap COL wins IMHO, but I lean towards debt adversity when given the choice. If your dead-set on NYC Biglaw, Michigan is where you want to go.

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:48 pm

USC at the price wins here, but there is definitely risk of missing out on biglaw.

If you have a degree in finance and want to end up in PE, why law school at all? Why not snag a job in corporate america and head to b-school after a couple of years?

Darienk

New

Post by Darienk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:59 pm

dawyzest1 wrote:USC at the price wins here, but there is definitely risk of missing out on biglaw.

If you have a degree in finance and want to end up in PE, why law school at all? Why not snag a job in corporate america and head to b-school after a couple of years?
Thanks for your input. I would like to be on the legal side of finance, not the traditional buy side or sell side analyst.

My ideal career path would be: Big law-->Partner at big law firm or corporate counsel at a PE firm/Hedge Fund/Bank in NY or LA

dawyzest1

Bronze

Post by dawyzest1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:24 pm

Darienk wrote:
Thanks for your input. I would like to be on the legal side of finance, not the traditional buy side or sell side analyst.

My ideal career path would be: Big law-->Partner at big law firm or corporate counsel at a PE firm/Hedge Fund/Bank in NY or LA
Got it, and that definitely answers my question, but alters my thinking. Is there enough concentration of PE firms on the west coast to make LA a viable place to jump into it? The only place I can think of off the top of my head is PIMCO and they might not even really be PE. You know better than I, of course.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Raymond112909

New

Post by Raymond112909 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:17 am

Michigan!!

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:22 am

This is your choice:
y2zipper wrote: USC pigeonholes you to LA, but 75-85K in debt probably doesn't kill you if big law sucks, but you're probably not getting NY out of it.

Michigan means biglaw/PI or bust just because of the debt number. It gives you a much better chance, but you lose the ability to change your mind, quit or get fired for awhile.

Darienk

New

Post by Darienk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:36 am

dawyzest1 wrote:
Darienk wrote:

Got it, and that definitely answers my question, but alters my thinking. Is there enough concentration of PE firms on the west coast to make LA a viable place to jump into it? The only place I can think of off the top of my head is PIMCO and they might not even really be PE. You know better than I, of course.
That's the dilemma right there. Is there a healthy supply of financial firms (or corporate BigLaw) on the west coast? Los Angeles isn't the second biggest economy in the country for nothing, and there's obviously money circulating and constant deals going on. But nothing compares to NY. There are definitely huge deals going on in LA, but I would say New York does much more of it. The Quality of life, however, is much different between the two cities.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:23 am

OP seems to be chasing some serious unicorns here.

I vote USC. Limit debt and still have an ok chance at big law.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”