UT v. IUB v. WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What to do?

IU-B (~Total CoA 40K)
14%
UT-Austin (~Total COA 100K)
84%
WUSTL (~Total CoA 150K)
2%

Total votes: 56

BOOM SHAKA LAKA

New

UT v. IUB v. WUSTL

Post by BOOM SHAKA LAKA » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 am

Hey everyone,

I've narrowed my options down to IUB, Texas, and WUSTL. I haven't heard anything about any $ from WUSTL, so I'm just assuming nothing.

I have ties to all of these markets and could live in any of these places happily post-graduation. I know IUB makes the most sense financially in the short-term, but my goal is BIGLAW so I'm thinking Texas might make more sense longterm.

Any advice, guidance, cautionary tales, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BOOM SHAKA LAKA

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: UT v. IUB v. WUSTL

Post by Grazzhoppa » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am

Texas and don't look back. Not even close.

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:58 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:Texas and don't look back. Not even close.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:32 pm

Where are you actually from?

So far this looks like Texas unless you're from Indiana or WUSTL comes back with a full ride or something.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Wait a minute... You said you're assuming nothing from WUSTL, but you have total COA at $150k. So, it sounds like you're not including COL in your COA, or loan interest, which is a huge mistake if you're financing this with debt. Are you looking at ~150k tuition from WUSTL, $100k in tuition from Texas, and $40k in tuition from IUB?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BOOM SHAKA LAKA

New

Post by BOOM SHAKA LAKA » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:Wait a minute... You said you're assuming nothing from WUSTL, but you have total COA at $150k. So, it sounds like you're not including COL in your COA, or loan interest, which is a huge mistake if you're financing this with debt. Are you looking at ~150k tuition from WUSTL, $100k in tuition from Texas, and $40k in tuition from IUB?
No, I didn't factor in loan interest, but I definitely should. I'm assuming about 30K in in COL for each of these. My COL will be relatively low since my wife will be covering the majority of our living expenses. Admittedly, I may have lowballed WUSTL's cost a bit.

I grew up in Indiana but I've worked in Texas the past two years. My wife and her whole family are from the STL area. Do you think these would those be sufficient ties for employers?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:13 pm

Yeah I think so. I vote UT.

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 pm

fyi, i just voted for WUSTL, but it was an accident...i meant texas hahahahahah

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm happy to answer questions about UT or the Texas legal market.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:16 pm

How could someone possibly be facing UT for 100K and WUSTL at sticker? If you have UT for that low then you should get at least 105K but probably more like 135K at WUSTL.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:18 pm

BigZuck wrote:How could someone possibly be facing UT for 100K and WUSTL at sticker? If you have UT for that low then you should get at least 105K but probably more like 135K at WUSTL.
Instate reverse splitter? Or possibly URM (WUSTL really lowballed the scholly's on URMs this cycle)

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:14 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
BigZuck wrote:How could someone possibly be facing UT for 100K and WUSTL at sticker? If you have UT for that low then you should get at least 105K but probably more like 135K at WUSTL.
Instate reverse splitter? Or possibly URM (WUSTL really lowballed the scholly's on URMs this cycle)
Granted what I was looking at was a select subset, but from what I could tell, UT was valuing LSAT more than GPA in awarding scholarships.

But even at equal cost, I'd say UT over WUSTL. Better market in Texas, and UT has better placement. For 100k, might be worth the cost over IUB, as that's still not too bad and the placement is much better.

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 am

so you're going to UT right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BOOM SHAKA LAKA

New

Post by BOOM SHAKA LAKA » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:43 am

I will most likely be at UT this fall. I really appreciate everyone's advice. IF WUSTL comes back and offers some money I might make an updated poll too.

We loved Austin when we visited too. The only thing holding me back is that my family is from the midwest and I kind of want to be closer to them. Law school isn't something to mess around with though.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am

BOOM SHAKA LAKA wrote:I will most likely be at UT this fall. I really appreciate everyone's advice. IF WUSTL comes back and offers some money I might make an updated poll too.

We loved Austin when we visited too. The only thing holding me back is that my family is from the midwest and I kind of want to be closer to them. Law school isn't something to mess around with though.
If you really want to live in the Midwest and you're thinking of targeting Chicago big law from UT I would think again. Only go to UT if you are ok with working in Dallas or Houston big law IMO. Would need really good grades for other markets from what I understand.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am

BigZuck wrote:
BOOM SHAKA LAKA wrote:I will most likely be at UT this fall. I really appreciate everyone's advice. IF WUSTL comes back and offers some money I might make an updated poll too.

If you really want to live in the Midwest and you're thinking of targeting Chicago big law from UT I would think again. Only go to UT if you are ok with working in Dallas or Houston big law IMO. Would need really good grades for other markets from what I understand.
It's true that most people go to Dallas and Houston. However, you don't need "really good" grades to get into all other markets. That's probably true for chicago, since it already has 2 great schools in the city and isn't as strong a legal market as others. However, you definitely don't need law review grades for NYC or Cali.

BOOM SHAKA LAKA

New

Post by BOOM SHAKA LAKA » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.

WUSTL just sent me a scholarship for 20K per year.

Does this change anything or is it just not enough?

Thanks,
BOOM SHAKALAKA

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 pm

BOOM SHAKA LAKA wrote:Thanks for the help everyone.

Thanks,
BOOM SHAKALAKA
UT.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks,
BOOM SHAKALAKA
nope

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:

Thanks,
BOOM SHAKALAKA
UT.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am

What are your numbers? How many times have you taken the LSAT? If you have a 4.0 / 164, none of these are a good idea. If you have a 3.0/170 and can get residency in Texas, you should be able to get better COA. What about working for a year and deferring at TX to establishing residency? Or talk to them about giving you a tuition waiver for the first year so you don't have to do that?

There is some missing information so it's difficult for users to give you the best advice, but still here is a good thread that should help.

In the absence of additional information, we must assume that you are making a rational decision (best possible outcomes given your best possible LSAT), and that makes UT the best play here. But if you provide full information, that will possibly change the advice you get.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”