Texas vs. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Options:

Texas ($100K COA)
63%
NYU (Sticker - $250K COA?)
37%

Total votes: 38

sbk

New

Texas vs. NYU

Post by sbk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:39 am

I'm leaning toward one school, but I was hoping to get some outside opinions to see what the consensus is. So here's my story...

I've lived in Texas for more or less my entire life, went to undergrad at UT, and now work in Dallas. I have roots/family/connections in Texas and I'd be fine staying here, but I love NYC and could see myself there long-term. NYU's the best school I've gotten into, and I didn't really get significant $ elsewhere, which is why it's down to NYU and UT.

End goal is likely big law, at least for a few years.

Between in-state tuition and a $60K scholarship at Texas, I'm thinking COA will be about $100K. NYU is sticker... so around $250K?

I'm getting some parental contributions, along with an inheritance from my grandma and savings from four years of work. Combined, it's roughly $100K that I can put toward school, so I should be able to leave UT with no (or very little) debt. NYU would probably be at least $150K in debt.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Tekrul

Bronze

Re: Texas vs. NYU

Post by Tekrul » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:47 am

You are grossly underestimating the COA at NYU at sticker. After the contributions you mentioned you're likely looking at 200k debt at repayment.

With your goals in biglaw and your language - you'd be "fine" staying in texas, you "love" ny - it seems like you're trying to hear a response that is pro nyu.

At that cost, however, its hard to justify it. Leaving UT with no debt is a pretty hard thing to pass up next to paying off years of debt. Biglaw may have a salary of 160k but take home is more like 102 and COL in NYC is not a game/joke.

Edit: forgot to say I voted for UT

sbk

New

Post by sbk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:13 am

Tekrul wrote: With your goals in biglaw and your language - you'd be "fine" staying in texas, you "love" ny - it seems like you're trying to hear a response that is pro nyu.
Oooh, good point... the language is a little slanted. I guess I was just trying to convey that I wouldn't be going to NYU with the plan of coming right back to Texas to practice, but that might've been assumed.

And for sure, the thought of owing so much at graduation makes me very nervous (especially if I'm underestimating by that much). Unfortunately, my UGPA is pretty low for T14 so I didn't have a great set of mid-range options.

Thanks very, very much for the reply Tekrul!!

froglee

New

Post by froglee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 am

Texas is a trap school for big laws...only 27% of its total graduates got into big laws

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=texas&show=ABA

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 pm

I voted NYU because you like NYC and it gives you a much better shot at big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I respect the big law goal but graduating from such a good school with no debt is awesome. I vote UT. Big law is not assured out of NYU and I think almost all of us overestimate how easy it is to pay off 150K debt. UT still gives you a somewhat decent chance at big law, plus I'm guessing that its even easier for Texas residents who target Texas big law to get it than non-residents who go to UT so I think your chances are probably somewhat better than 35ish percent.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:33 pm

150k doesn't seem outrageous for NYU. I voted NYU.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:48 pm

go longhorns

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”