Columbia vs Berk Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
djwjddl

Bronze

Columbia vs Berk

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:56 pm

So, i was almost 90% set on going to berk until columbia came knocking at the door yesterday. can't complain about being in this position, but it is a tough one for me. wanted to call on the sages of TLS to help me out with this one.

Money
Columbia: none as of now (assume sticker; might receive financial aid but that is in the works)
Berk: $20k (need-based guaranteed only for first year)

Regional Preference
Would ultimately like to practice in California upon graduating as my family is out there, but wouldn't mind attending school in NYC for another 3 years. most of my friends are here and have lived on east for all my life.

Job Preference
Would ideally like to clerk upon graduating and/or work in PI. I guess my decision, however, will ultimately depend on how my debt situation shapes up to be over my time at law school. thus, biglaw is not completely out of the question.

What say you?
Last edited by djwjddl on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Columbia vs Berk

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:17 pm

Basically making the exact same choice but with a little more $ from each and NYU in the mix. Very interested in general opinion

curious66

Bronze

Post by curious66 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 pm

I would vote Berkeley given:

1). You want to practice in CA (over 60% of Berk's grads land up in CA)
2). $ at Berkeley

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:36 pm

Columbia is a the clear choice. Better employment prospects for pretty much the same cost.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm

Is is in state tuition at B?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm not sure if that 21k is for 1 year or each year. It's based on need and unless you get a 1L/2L SA, I don't see need dramatically changing.

Ofc. it isn't guaranteed.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

sinfiery wrote:I'm not sure if that 21k is for 1 year or each year. It's based on need and unless you get a 1L/2L SA, I don't see need dramatically changing.

Ofc. it isn't guaranteed.
it's just for one year. unlike columbia (which locks you in for 3 years for need-based grants once you're awarded them prior to matriculating), berkeley re-evaluates year by year, which makes more sense to me actually.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Is is in state tuition at B?
nop. i would only be in-state eligible for 2L and 3L years.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:55 pm

djwjddl wrote:it's just for one year. unlike columbia (which locks you in for 3 years for need-based grants once you're awarded them prior to matriculating), berkeley re-evaluates year by year, which makes more sense to me actually.
Agreed. I'm just not sure one should assume their financial situation would change so dramatically that it would be significantly different of a reward amount next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:06 pm

djwjddl wrote:
be careful here. no matter what they say at Cal, achieving CA statehood is not so simply achieved after 1 year, so I wouldn't count on this 100%.
banjo wrote:Columbia is a the clear choice. Better employment prospects for pretty much the same cost.
this really depends. for NYC, obviously. but a lot of firms will draw from Cal and Columbia equally, especially in the bay area.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:11 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
djwjddl wrote:
be careful here. no matter what they say at Cal, achieving CA statehood is not so simply achieved after 1 year, so I wouldn't count on this 100%.
banjo wrote:Columbia is a the clear choice. Better employment prospects for pretty much the same cost.
this really depends. for NYC, obviously. but a lot of firms will draw from Cal and Columbia equally, especially in the bay area.
well, isn't it pretty straightforward once you meet the requirements below? Lmk if i'm completely off.

1. need to show intent to stay in california (e.g. get a cali driver license, switch bank accounts, etc.)
2. must have been physically residing in california for at least 365 days prior to residence determination date

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm

djwjddl wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
djwjddl wrote:
well, isn't it pretty straightforward once you meet the requirements below? Lmk if i'm completely off.

1. need to show intent to stay in california (e.g. get a cali driver license, switch bank accounts, etc.)
2. must have been physically residing in california for at least 365 days prior to residence determination date
My understanding is that you have to meet those two requirements to be eligible to apply. it doesn't necessarily mean you will receive CA residency at that time. I went to undergrad in CA (by now I must be fully outed on TLS...) but most of my class came from out of state (although it was private so no tuition difference), and a few friends who tried to get CA residency struggled to be cleared for a while. like at least 6 months after they'd had a year of "residence".

I'm thinking you should anticipate paying out of state tuition at least 1L and 2L. I'm just saying I wouldn't count on it. If you get it cleared for 3L thats good, but definitely don't make a decision between the two schools on the $4K you'd save there

edited for quote fail

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
I'm thinking you should anticipate paying out of state tuition at least 1L and 2L. I'm just saying I wouldn't count on it. If you get it cleared for 3L thats good, but definitely don't make a decision between the two schools on the $4K you'd save there
got it. so you would vote berk then?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:49 pm

djwjddl wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
got it. so you would vote berk then?
I honestly don't know because I'm struggling with the same decision, I'm sorry. Both are long-shots for fed clerkships but possible. firms may draw deeper into the Columbia class in general, but not in CA. And it sounds like you have a somewhat vague idea of what you want to do but you want to work on the west coast.

Unless you have a specific reason to go to NYC (SO, family, profs at the school), I would take Berkeley in your shoes. It will be inevitably cheaper. Honestly it will just depend on how well you do, and how well you do could depend on what you feel about the place and where you fit in.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm

Any chance we could get something cheaper than these two options? I guess 60K at Berkeley is not the end of the world but thinking about 200K-300K in debt makes me sad.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:47 pm

These schools have totally different vibes. I suggest you choose the one you feel more comfortable at, because 3 years is a long time just to not fit in with your school.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Slight preference to Berkeley because 1) you want CA more than NYC, 2) you want PI.

Visit both, choose then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:30 pm

If you would be willing to work in NYC for a few years, CLS still seems like the easy choice. Maximize your chances of getting a job out of OCI. 2ls who have seen OCI data have said that CLS places like H in NYC.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:46 pm

I would stick with Berkeley, Columbia isn't exceptional enough, or sufficiently aligned with your goals, to sway it.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Clerk is only a 1 year gig.

Do you want to rely on PSLF/PAYE/IBR/whatever to pay off your loans via PI or do you want biglaw to pay off your loans?

If the answer is biglaw, I'd take CLS.
If the answer is you don't know, I'd take CLS.
If the answer is biglaw only in CA, I'd take Berk
If the answer is PI, I'd take whichever area you prefer to live/work in

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 pm

Do you have money from any other schools to negotiate with Columbia or Berkeley? Debt load here is scary for both options...

Does Berkeley often re-evaluate your need based aid? What's the chance that you get $20k for each year of school?

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Do you have money from any other schools to negotiate with Columbia or Berkeley? Debt load here is scary for both options...

Does Berkeley often re-evaluate your need based aid? What's the chance that you get $20k for each year of school?
Only have the 75K and 54k from duke and mich. submitted that to cls to see if they could give me anything. Waiting to hear. Think my chances would be pretty good for getting the grant amount again, given that the grant was based on my having worked in finance prior to applying, and I obviously wouldn't have worked in such a field with such a salary for 2L at least.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 pm

Just heard back. 0 scholly from cls

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Between these two choices, I vote Duke. Unless the 20K is something you think you can count on all three years. Then I vote Berkeley.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”