Cornell $$$ vs USC/LA $$$ vs NU $$$ vs Berkeley Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

Cornell
22%
Northwestern
33%
Berkeley- who cares about debt?!
26%
UCLA
16%
USC
4%

Total votes: 163

untar614

Silver

Re: Cornell $$$ vs USC/LA $$$ vs NU $$$ vs Berkeley

Post by untar614 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
http://www.lsac.org/jd/apply/whom-to-admit.asp

bottom paragraph
Ok. all that means is that after May 15th, any school you deposited at will be able to see where else you have deposited at. Now some may insist you commit by then (I've heard some say Duke does this) and withdraw from everywhere else or else give up your seat, but overall there is nothing preventing you from holding on to multiple seats til later on.
twinkletoes16 wrote: The consensus seems to be that the Michigan bump to 90k doesn't matter?
nope, still doesn't stack up the way I see it.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 pm

untar614 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

bottom paragraph
Ok. all that means is that after May 15th, any school you deposited at will be able to see where else you have deposited at. Now some may insist you commit by then (I've heard some say Duke does this) and withdraw from everywhere else or else give up your seat, but overall there is nothing preventing you from holding on to multiple seats til later on.
twinkletoes16 wrote: The consensus seems to be that the Michigan bump to 90k doesn't matter?
Duke stipulates that you have to withdraw from all other schools to which you have been accepted when you deposit there. I would just be very careful to read the fine print at all the schools one deposits to.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:57 pm

BigZuck wrote:
untar614 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:

bottom paragraph
Duke stipulates that you have to withdraw from all other schools to which you have been accepted when you deposit there. I would just be very careful to read the fine print at all the schools one deposits to.
Yeah but I would also pay attention to LSAC's rules over anything the school says. I remember a lot of foolishness from last cycle with Chicago telling people they have to withdraw at other schools when that was not the case at all.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:12 pm

You are playing with fire here with this double deposit talk. I don't fully understand the consequences of it, but if you really care about attending one of these schools, always ask for extensions over double depositing. That should be a very last resort for you, and even then, not recommended. Every time I have asked for an extension, it has been granted, and at both NYU and Northwestern I talked with financial aid officers about the ethics of making multiple deposits and they said it was highly unadvisable and if you can't decide but can demonstrate legitimate continued interest, the school will almost always try to work with you on deadlines.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:You are playing with fire here with this double deposit talk. I don't fully understand the consequences of it, but if you really care about attending one of these schools, always ask for extensions over double depositing. That should be a very last resort for you, and even then, not recommended. Every time I have asked for an extension, it has been granted, and at both NYU and Northwestern I talked with financial aid officers about the ethics of making multiple deposits and they said it was highly unadvisable and if you can't decide but can demonstrate legitimate continued interest, the school will almost always try to work with you on deadlines.
Dude of course they are going to say its unadvisable they want you to withdraw and deposit so they don't have to worry about their yield or more scholarship negotiations. All that matters is LSACs regulations on the matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Unless you think that they would rescing your acceptance without warning, I don't know what bad would come of it. If they say "withdraw all other acceptances by _ or lose your seat" in the same way not paying the deposit on time would, well then that's pretty clear. But it seems pretty doubtful they wouldn't first tell you that they require you to do so and just pull your acceptance without warning you in advance. I just looked over my Northwestern scholarship letter and the website where I made the deposit, and I didn't see anything about needing to withdraw from everywhere else by a certain time. I'm sure come May 15th or some time after, they would let us know if they need us to withdraw from everywhere else within a certain time frame or lose our seat if we were double-deposited.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:50 pm

untar614 wrote:Unless you think that they would rescing your acceptance without warning, I don't know what bad would come of it. If they say "withdraw all other acceptances by _ or lose your seat" in the same way not paying the deposit on time would, well then that's pretty clear. But it seems pretty doubtful they wouldn't first tell you that they require you to do so and just pull your acceptance without warning you in advance. I just looked over my Northwestern scholarship letter and the website where I made the deposit, and I didn't see anything about needing to withdraw from everywhere else by a certain time. I'm sure come May 15th or some time after, they would let us know if they need us to withdraw from everywhere else within a certain time frame or lose our seat if we were double-deposited.

I couldn't find any "deposit and withdraw from other" type wordage in any of my offer letters. It sounds like Duke does it though.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Its almost May, I think its late enough that you are justified telling berk you need their final scholarship offer by a certain date. Tell them you still want to attend but will be forced to withdraw without a competitive scholarship offer by next Friday.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:16 pm

Cobretti wrote:Its almost May, I think its late enough that you are justified telling berk you need their final scholarship offer by a certain date. Tell them you still want to attend but will be forced to withdraw without a competitive scholarship offer by next Friday.
I think twinkle has tried this and every other trick in the book. a ton of matching offers expire on 4/30. She will have to wait until 5/1 to get hers, but I'll bet its comin.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:39 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Cobretti wrote:Its almost May, I think its late enough that you are justified telling berk you need their final scholarship offer by a certain date. Tell them you still want to attend but will be forced to withdraw without a competitive scholarship offer by next Friday.
I think twinkle has tried this and every other trick in the book. a ton of matching offers expire on 4/30. She will have to wait until 5/1 to get hers, but I'll bet its comin.

I feel like that dog in futurama. I willllll wait for youuuuuuu....if it taaaaakes a lifetime....

So 5/1 is new offers, bagel?

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:47 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I feel like that dog in futurama. I willllll wait for youuuuuuu....if it taaaaakes a lifetime....

Lol, great reference

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Can't say with total certainty, but I'm guessing 5/1 - 5/3 will be a busy week for KP Alvarez & Krew and they'll be sending out everything they can directly after. They did the same thing with the 4/15 expiration offers.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:04 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Lol, great reference
I'm depressed just thinking about that episode... Damn you twinkletoes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

williams55

New

Post by williams55 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:12 pm

2L at B here. As much as I love it here, I cannot imagine paying full price. $277k is a LOT of money, and I just don't see the merits in paying $100k (at least) for a bump in geography during OCI. My own career goals changed in the year before OCI, and while I initially thought I would never want to leave California I realized the SF/SV legal market is small and relatively tailored to things I'm not interested in. Although the vast majority of friends who wanted a biglaw job were able to obtain one for their 2L summer, there are still a few who struck out. Even more relaxed their geographical preferences in order to get a job at all. Long story short, if the administration here is so unwilling to make your choice an easy one, maybe it's not the right place after all. I would take one of your non-CA options (UCLA/USC's job stats are pretty risky, and the schools don't offer the same LA/Bay Area flexibility as Berkeley does).

I am particularly risk-adverse, but please feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions/be of any help.

Purplebook

New

Post by Purplebook » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:You are playing with fire here with this double deposit talk. I don't fully understand the consequences of it, but if you really care about attending one of these schools, always ask for extensions over double depositing. That should be a very last resort for you, and even then, not recommended.

Mike Spivey discussed this as an offshoot of his latest blog post.
MikeSpivey wrote:
I hate to sound like I am living in the movie Battlefield Earth but you really lose leverage if you only deposit at one school, which the law schools see in their commitment overlap reports. There are no guarantee, of course, and you may cost yourself an extra deposit or two but if I were negotiating for scholarship money I would multi-deposit.

In respect to creating the admissions office "more work" I would not lose sleep over this. Any admissions professional worth their salary is going to be working on something anyway, so it may as well be you.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Last edited by SemperLegal on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:18 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Dat PTSD
Last edited by Cobretti on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Purplebook wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:You are playing with fire here with this double deposit talk. I don't fully understand the consequences of it, but if you really care about attending one of these schools, always ask for extensions over double depositing. That should be a very last resort for you, and even then, not recommended.

Mike Spivey discussed this as an offshoot of his latest blog post.
MikeSpivey wrote:
I hate to sound like I am living in the movie Battlefield Earth but you really lose leverage if you only deposit at one school, which the law schools see in their commitment overlap reports. There are no guarantee, of course, and you may cost yourself an extra deposit or two but if I were negotiating for scholarship money I would multi-deposit.

In respect to creating the admissions office "more work" I would not lose sleep over this. Any admissions professional worth their salary is going to be working on something anyway, so it may as well be you.
I have been successful in every attempt at scholarship negotiations without making a single deposit. Rather, I expressed my desire to establish an honest dialogue between student and school, and this appeared to be well received.

Nevertheless, clearly Mr. Spivey knows more than I, so I will say no more.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:39 am

SemperLegal wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I appreciate the F outta you, semper.

twinkletoes16

Silver

Post by twinkletoes16 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:34 pm

B came through with 75k. So now between here and Northwestern.

Thoughts? I'm really, really torn. NU opens up Chicago possibly, is cheaper for me, doesn't have UC issues like B does. B gives me best shot at CA, has a better grading system/no graded legal writing, and much better weather/QoL.

I thought this would be a lot easier of a decision but now I don't know.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:36 pm

This ends now.

Go to Berkeley.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:39 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:B came through with 75k. So now between here and Northwestern.

Thoughts? I'm really, really torn. NU opens up Chicago possibly, is cheaper for me, doesn't have UC issues like B does. B gives me best shot at CA, has a better grading system/no graded legal writing, and much better weather/QoL.

Wow, B coming through finally.
I mean, now it's a rather tough call. For the normal applicant NU still wins out in a huge way, but for how Cali-centric you are, 75k might just be enough to push B over the top. I mean, you gave serious consideration to B at sticker.

I consider myself equally Cali-centric, and we have the same NU scholly, and if B was offering me 75k I would probably take it. My entirely family would be an hours drive away, my wife would be much happier and in her element, and my job will almost assuredly be in Cali whereas that's still an unknown from NU.

I'm definitely interested to see what others think, but as someone with a very similar mindset as your own, I personally would take B, but that doesn't necessarily make it the right answer...

(This is my initial reaction, but I reserve the right to give it more thought and change my mind if needed)

Kurst

Bronze

Post by Kurst » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:44 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:B came through with 75k. So now between here and Northwestern.

# of alums active with the California bar:

Northwestern: 778
Boalt: 7,302

Congrats twinkletoes, enjoy Boalt.

wert3813

Silver

Post by wert3813 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Don't over think it. Boalt.

ph5354a

Gold