Loyola Chicago vs. IIT-Kent Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Loyola (Chi) or IIT-Kent

Loyola (Chi)
50%
IIT-Kent
50%

Total votes: 26

kmstyf

New

Loyola Chicago vs. IIT-Kent

Post by kmstyf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:20 pm

So I know this has been beat to death. Neither are great schools, but they are decent and regionally ok. I am in a unique situation where I have a job waiting for me at the trial firm I work at when I finish and will make only slightly less than biglaw. So, all things being equal, what are the thoughts on these two schools? I have a GPA non-dependent 10k scholarship at Kent and nothing at Loyola, but my boss is picking up the difference if I go there with a slight reduction in my starting salary the first year.

Long-term, I may not want to practice in trial advocacy and am interested in start-ups, technology-related law, as well as food policy/public interest.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Re: Loyola Chicago vs. IIT-Kent

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Don't go. God, this is top-law-schools.com. If you want to choose between bad options, go to shitty-law-schools.com.

Edit: saw you have a job lined up afterwards, so... pardon the harshness. Not deleting it though for posterity's sake. Anyway, go with the cheaper option.

kmstyf

New

Post by kmstyf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:35 pm

I appreciate the advice. I know the general consensus is that Tier-2 schools are not worth the money, and that's fine from a realistic standpoint unless you've got GUARANTEED work. My main question is, with Kent rising in rankings and having a good tech/writing focus, and Loyola having a decent healthcare/public interest programs, which will afford me a better education? I know neither degree is very portable, and I may not want to practice for my entire life, so does the slight difference in ranking even affect my thought process?

Not proud of my undergrad stats but as a basis: Undergrad at Mizzou, 3.0 GPA 169 LSAT.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Your stats aren't that bad, especially with that LSAT. Boost it up a bit and with your WE Northwestern could very well be in play.

Still, specialty rankings and rankings themselves are largely a flame. Employment after graduation is what matters, and you already have that locked up. The education is going to be largely the same through all law schools (although some schools offer more clinical opportunities).

kmstyf

New

Post by kmstyf » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 pm

I appreciate the input. The other caveat is that I'll be doing the evening program at Kent/Loyola and working as part of ensuring I still have that job waiting when I finish, so unfortunately NU is out of the picture for the time being.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bass08

Bronze

Post by bass08 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 pm

wtf? You have a 169 lsat and would pay sticker at loyola and only got 10k at kent part time? That's not right. You would get almost a full scholly at either school with your numbers. Unless of course you meant to type 159.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 pm

If you are guaranteed a job, why take debt at all? Taking on debt seems totally unnecessary if you really do have something lined up no matter what.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:If you are guaranteed a job, why take debt at all? Taking on debt seems totally unnecessary if you really do have something lined up no matter what.
CQ.

ArchieHicox

Bronze

Post by ArchieHicox » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Are you sure you don't have a 159 LSAT?

Because it is inconceivable to me that you are getting such low (or no) scholarships with a 169 LSAT. I have a similar GPA and a lower LSAT and have done well this cycle at much better schools than Loyola and Kent. It makes no sense that with a top 2-3% LSAT like that, that you aren't sitting on full rides.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 pm

ha-ri wrote:Are you sure you don't have a 159 LSAT?
This. I feel like you would have much better options (even with your 3.0 GPA) if you actually had a 169, unless your PS and LORs were unintelligibly written. But if you have a guaranteed job lined up, stick with the cheapest option possible

kmstyf

New

Post by kmstyf » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:16 pm

LSAT score is not a typo. Had to explain away some undergraduate legal BS in an addendum, which I think is the culprit behind the low/no scholarship offer.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:39 pm

kmstyf wrote:LSAT score is not a typo. Had to explain away some undergraduate legal BS in an addendum, which I think is the culprit behind the low/no scholarship offer.
I doubt that's it. Did you apply late?

cheywood

New

Post by cheywood » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 pm

I know someone with a 161 who got 20k from Kent while applying late, no way you have a 169 with that scholarship offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 am

OP: If the legal stuff was enough to let you into the school (ie they determined you can pass C+F) then it shouldn't matter after that how much money they give you. Average number of felonies isn't a USNWR category. With those numbers you are being seriously undervalued.

floydthebarber518

New

Post by floydthebarber518 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 pm

kmstyf wrote:So I know this has been beat to death. Neither are great schools, but they are decent and regionally ok. I am in a unique situation where I have a job waiting for me at the trial firm I work at when I finish and will make only slightly less than biglaw. So, all things being equal, what are the thoughts on these two schools? I have a GPA non-dependent 10k scholarship at Kent and nothing at Loyola, but my boss is picking up the difference if I go there with a slight reduction in my starting salary the first year.

Long-term, I may not want to practice in trial advocacy and am interested in start-ups, technology-related law, as well as food policy/public interest.
Have you applied/accepted anywhere else? Even though you might stay w/ Kent/Loyla, if you've gotten in elsewhere w/ money (especially higher ranked), you should be able to negotiate with those numbers.

Also, I'll be withdrawing my $30K/year from Kent tonight, so AT LEAST that should free some $ up. Do not settle fo 10K w/ a 169.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Could this be a case of YP? I would call up both schools, tell them they are both your first choice and ask for more money. If they say no, then tell them you'd love to go but you will be taking you 169 LSAT score somewhere else. I think both of those schools would pony up a little more. Rinse and repeat as needed.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:20 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Could this be a case of YP? I would call up both schools, tell them they are both your first choice and ask for more money. If they say no, then tell them you'd love to go but you will be taking you 169 LSAT score somewhere else. I think both of those schools would pony up a little more. Rinse and repeat as needed.
That's not what YP is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:25 pm

OP, I would just go to whichever school you liked more. Employment numbers don't matter since you already have a job lined up, and speciality rankings aren't real. Have you visited both?

floydthebarber518

New

Post by floydthebarber518 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Could this be a case of YP? I would call up both schools, tell them they are both your first choice and ask for more money. If they say no, then tell them you'd love to go but you will be taking you 169 LSAT score somewhere else. I think both of those schools would pony up a little more. Rinse and repeat as needed.
YP would mean they wouldn't have offered admission in the first place.
YP would also mean they'd actually up their $ offer so that they could entice all accepted people to attend.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:40 pm

I meant like a modified YP. Not giving a lot of scholarship money to someone with such a high score seems odd, especially with the decline in test takers. It almost seems like they were like "Screw it. Lets just give him a token scholly offer because we don't want to lock up funds that we could give to people who are more likely to take our offer".

Then again my brain is fried from outlining so I could just be completely out in left field.

North

Gold

Post by North » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm

YankeesFan wrote:I meant like a modified YP. Not giving a lot of scholarship money to someone with such a high score seems odd, especially with the decline in test takers. It almost seems like they were like "Screw it. Lets just give him a token scholly offer because we don't want to lock up funds that we could give to people who are more likely to take our offer".

Then again my brain is fried from outlining so I could just be completely out in left field.
It's from left field. That makes no sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:50 pm

North wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:I meant like a modified YP. Not giving a lot of scholarship money to someone with such a high score seems odd, especially with the decline in test takers. It almost seems like they were like "Screw it. Lets just give him a token scholly offer because we don't want to lock up funds that we could give to people who are more likely to take our offer".

It's from left field. That makes no sense.
It actually makes a little sense. They might be betting that OP's record (we have no idea what he did) would take him out of contention at higher ranked places and they might end up being the highest offer. That's worth the miniscule hit to selectivity if he turns them down. If he can't pass C+F, well, he already signed the loan docs, so no harm no foul.

It may also be a lowball with them expecting him to come back with a higher offer. If he doesn't and takes the offer- it's a win for the school and a lose for OP.

ArchieHicox

Bronze

Post by ArchieHicox » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:52 pm

If you really have a 169, you are getting screwed. You should be looking at good $$$ at Wisconsin, Indiana, UIUC and not marginal cash at Kent and Loyola. Dude, I have a lower LSAT than you, a lower GPA than you, and I've been getting more money from similar, but better schools than Loyola and Kent. No legal issues, but I can't imagine that is holding you back that much if they are accepting you. There was a story on ATL with a MURDERER being accepted on scholarship at Tulane. Something is up.....

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:28 pm

kmstyf wrote:LSAT score is not a typo. Had to explain away some undergraduate legal BS in an addendum, which I think is the culprit behind the low/no scholarship offer.
C & F crap only matters about getting in, not scholarship amount. Trust me, I know lol.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:55 pm

negotiate that scholarship at least.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”