Gonzaga vs Chapman - help! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dhcustom

New

Gonzaga vs Chapman - help!

Post by dhcustom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:10 am

I'll summarize my situation:
1) I want to transfer out after my first year. I'm worried about my job prospects after graduation from both of these schools. I want to transfer out (to better schools) if I can. I'm from Canada, which makes this matter more complicated.
2) Chapman is offering $7500 with 2.75 GPA while Gonzaga is offering $11000 with 2.5 GPA

Both are T3/unranked schools, and I'd rather only put a deposit for only one of them.

I'd appreciate any advice...

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Gonzaga vs Chapman - help!

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:21 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchieHicox

Bronze

Post by ArchieHicox » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:21 am

The issue with transferring is you can't count on it... Its awfully risky to bank on being the best at these schools. And if they aren't giving you bucket and buckets of money.... there are better candidates entering the school than you. That isn't to say you can't be the top of your class... just that it is no lock.

And if you couldn't get accepted as a 0L, what are the odds you suddenly get accepted via Transfer. I've done some basic research into transfers and some schools are accepting as few as 5 transfers a year. Transferring from Gonzaga or Chapman would be a challenge too, one would think. And you would still have to pay full tuition.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:55 am

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chapman Chapman

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=gonzaga Gonzaga

Everyone here will tell you to retake. Everyone here will also tell you not to go to a shit law school with the intent on transferring because there's a high probability you won't be able to.

Employment scores are both terrible with outrageous tuition. Even if you have a 2.0 UGPA, you should still retake.

dhcustom

New

Post by dhcustom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:41 am

sorry, i forgot to mention that i'm waitlisted at like 6 other school so far...
should i bother putting a deposit for both schools? it's better for me to put down a deposit at one school isn't it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:39 am

dhcustom wrote:sorry, i forgot to mention that i'm waitlisted at like 6 other school so far...
should i bother putting a deposit for both schools? it's better for me to put down a deposit at one school isn't it?
Did you read any of these other posts?

If these were my options I would not go to law school.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:44 am

what is the median grade for both school? How much does 1L cost with the scholarship? How much will the school cost if you lose the scholarship? Will you drop out if you do? How are you going to pay for the cost of the school?

I personally would consider a stipulated scholarship as a scholarship good for only 1L. That being said, If I were you, I'd save the deposit money and use it to get some more prep material, or pay for the June or October LSAT. But ultimately, this is on you.

Best luck.

TLDR: the credited response is R. RETAKE

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 am

Going to a T3 law school planning on transferring out is one of the dumbest things someone can do. There are so many reasons why this is a terrible idea:

First, the odds are slim you'll get good enough grades to transfer out. 90% of people aren't in the top 10%

Second, even if you get good enough grades to transfer out, odds are far slimmer that you'll be able transfer to a school worth going to (e.g., getting good enough grades at Chapman to transfer to Pepperdine still means you're objectively screwed because you aren't getting a decent job at OCI to service your ~200k in debt). You'd have to be one of the very top people in your class to transfer to a T20 where maybe you'll have a shot at a firm job as a transfer. Your odds of that happening are in like the <5% range?

Third, you'll most likely be transferring to a lower/mid-range T1 and paying sticker for two years, giving up any scholarships you have. I'd rather be top 5-10% at a T3 with a scholarship than a transfer oaying sticker at Loyola or something.

Fourth, and most importantly, it is far, far, far easier to just retake the LSAT and score better and go to a better school/get a better scholarship than it is to go to a shitty school trying to transfer to a school worth going to. Going to law school planning to transfer is lazy and arrogant. Just retake LSAT and do it righto, or don't do it at all.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:Going to a T3 law school planning on transferring out is one of the dumbest things someone can do. There are so many reasons why this is a terrible idea:

First, the odds are slim you'll get good enough grades to transfer out. 90% of people aren't in the top 10%

Second, even if you get good enough grades to transfer out, odds are far slimmer that you'll be able transfer to a school worth going to (e.g., getting good enough grades at Chapman to transfer to Pepperdine still means you're objectively screwed because you aren't getting a decent job at OCI to service your ~200k in debt). You'd have to be one of the very top people in your class to transfer to a T20 where maybe you'll have a shot at a firm job as a transfer. Your odds of that happening are in like the <5% range?

Third, you'll most likely be transferring to a lower/mid-range T1 and paying sticker for two years, giving up any scholarships you have. I'd rather be top 5-10% at a T3 with a scholarship than a transfer oaying sticker at Loyola or something.

Fourth, and most importantly, it is far, far, far easier to just retake the LSAT and score better and go to a better school/get a better scholarship than it is to go to a shitty school trying to transfer to a school worth going to. Going to law school planning to transfer is lazy and arrogant. Just retake LSAT and do it righto, or don't do it at all.
This is the most important to think to pay attention.

Even accepting that OP is a special snowflake and guaranteed to be top 10% because despite objective evidence from the LSAT they are just a natural law school genius and sure to be smarter and harder working than all their classmates (again, because the LSAT and college GPA didn't fairly measure their potential and LSAC and a multitude of professors messed up in not realizing how naturally special they are), the victory is still unemployment because all it gets you to is a Tier 2 at full price.

This means you'll likely miss whatever OGI happens at that TT and still be a bottom feeder. Winning still begets failing.

It is worse than the lottery because if you win the lottery, you win. Your bet is like spending $2 for a lottery ticket that in the best case scenario gets you back $1. Even if you were guaranteed to win, it'd be irrational to buy the ticket.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:46 pm

Retake or don't go to law school, OP. You should NEVER count on being able to transfer to another school, as law school grades are fairly unpredictable.

bananapeanutbutter

Bronze

Post by bananapeanutbutter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:55 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Retake or don't go to law school, OP. You should NEVER count on being able to transfer to another school, as law school grades are fairly unpredictable.
It isn't only that.

Even if they WERE predictable, and we knew OP would be 10% it would still be worth less than a 10 point improvement on the LSAT. If OP went to let's say a school like USC with a 165, and was top 10% it would be better than say just taking your chances at Columbia. From a Tier 3 or 4 transfer grades unless you're at the best grades in the past decade only get you to a school that still has very poor career prospects. It's like trying to make it as an NBA player by going to division 3 for college.

Obviously grades aren't so predictable, but the point I'm making is that the best case scenario is still worse than if he just retook.

Sorry if the logic is weird. I'm in exam mode ;-0

dhcustom

New

Post by dhcustom » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:58 am

Thank you everyone :shock:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”