"Regional law schools and what that means" Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JDanger007

New

"Regional law schools and what that means"

Post by JDanger007 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:10 pm

If a thread like this exists I am sorry, but was hoping for a clarification. So say you have X school that is regional with a strong reputation, but most of its ties are to that area. Where I want to work is a few hours away, yet this is the best school I can get in. Does it mean that I will be completely tied down to that area since most of the firms i will get to know, faculty, etc are from that area. How restricted will i be by going to this school, in general. Again its not a Harvard or Yale with a reputation that spans the country.
Thanks, sorry for the vagueness.

buddyt

Silver

Re: "Regional law schools and what that means"

Post by buddyt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:52 pm

jp238607 wrote:If a thread like this exists I am sorry, but was hoping for a clarification. So say you have X school that is regional with a strong reputation, but most of its ties are to that area. Where I want to work is a few hours away, yet this is the best school I can get in. Does it mean that I will be completely tied down to that area since most of the firms i will get to know, faculty, etc are from that area. How restricted will i be by going to this school, in general. Again its not a Harvard or Yale with a reputation that spans the country.
Thanks, sorry for the vagueness.
Need more details (i.e. school names) to be able to give advice. If you are considering McGeorge but want to work in LA that's a horrible idea, but going to University of Arizona planning to work in Phoenix is just fine.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDanger007

New

Post by JDanger007 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm

That makes a lot of sense. I got a very good deal for university of Baltimore but am from Philadelphia area. Ub has so many ties to Maryland as most of the state judges went there. Job prospects are much better there and I know I would get something even at a lower school. If I am not going big law and just hope to get hired up in Philly/ south jersey etc. regardless of it being a lower school , considering I do well is it too big of a market stretch ?
Thanks!

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:00 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”