Suffolk, UMiami, Catholic, or Syracuse Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Schools

Suffolk
30%
UMiami
26%
Catholic
15%
Syracuse
30%

Total votes: 27

natalia44

New

Suffolk, UMiami, Catholic, or Syracuse

Post by natalia44 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Currently trying to decide and don't waste your time if you're gonna say retake please.... I want to work in Boston after school:

I currently work in financial services industry and am paid poorly/not learning anything useful. Options are Suffolk, UMiami, Catholic, and Syracuse (all full ride). Am highly considering JD/MBA route. Thanks.
Last edited by natalia44 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Re: Suffolk, UMiami, Catholic, or Syracuse

Post by PDaddy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm not going to say "re-take". I will say that, absent a full ride and then some, you should consider foregoing law school altogether (MBA?) if those are your options. You put the rest together.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:45 pm

natalia44 wrote:I currently work in financial services industry and am paid poorly/not learning anything useful.
This is very likely a far better position than you would be in after graduating from any of these dumps.

You certainly do not have to retake. There is exactly one other intelligent decision you could make: foregoing law school altogether.
Last edited by Ti Malice on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 pm

If these are your only options & you're determined to attend law school, then consider a part-time program paid for (via tuition, fees & books reimbursement) by your financial services employer.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 pm

If you have a job, the best option is foregoing law school altogether because these schools have crappy employment outlooks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:55 pm

These are truly terrible options. If you work in the financial industry, then surely you can see why quitting your job for a 50/50 shot at a mid-5 figure job would be a terrible investment. Please do yourself a favor and retake for a school worth going to, or don't go at all.

The only other possible option worth considering is Suffolk PT if they'll let you keep the full ride to go part time. None of these other schools will stand a chance in Boston.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Hilarious edit by OP. Your post originally showed that you did not have full-ride offers. Also, all of these schools are so bad that, even if you had full-ride offers (which you don't), they would almost come with ridiculous stips -- and thus could not be considered true full scholarships.

jayman12

New

Post by jayman12 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Dont listen to these negative people they won't help you. Kid posts almost 20 times a day saying the same shit to people. You're just hearing the same opinions from the same people who sit on their computers all day trying to make themselves feel better. I'd pick Miami and hopefully you'll have better things to do than post every hour

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:58 pm

rad lulz wrote:If you have a job, the best option is foregoing law school altogether because these schools have crappy employment outlooks

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 pm

jayman12 wrote:Dont listen to these negative people they won't help you. Kid posts almost 20 times a day saying the same shit to people. You're just hearing the same opinions from the same people who sit on their computers all day trying to make themselves feel better. I'd pick Miami and hopefully you'll have better things to do than post every hour

jayman12

New

Post by jayman12 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:00 pm

jayman12 wrote:Dont listen to these negative people they won't help you. Kid posts almost 20 times a day saying the same shit to people. You're just hearing the same opinions from the same people who sit on their computers all day trying to make themselves feel better. I'd pick Miami and hopefully you'll have better things to do than post every hour

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Ghost93 wrote:

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Ti Malice wrote:Hilarious edit by OP. Your post originally showed that you did not have full-ride offers. Also, all of these schools are so bad that, even if you had full-ride offers (which you don't), they would almost come with ridiculous stips -- and thus could not be considered true full scholarships.
Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I RC- failed for a second.

Assuming OP isn't lying and does have a full ride, and assuming she canwork while she's goes part time, and assuming she can use the full ride PT (all big assumptions), then Suffolk might not be a bad idea. They don't run Harvard at night, last I checked.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

natalia44

New

Post by natalia44 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Can i actually get some real advice on the actual schools? Notice I left out staying at the job for a reason (doesn't mean I'm not considering sticking w it I just want real insight on the schools).....

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:19 pm

natalia44 wrote:Can i actually get some real advice on the actual schools? Notice I left out staying at the job for a reason (doesn't mean I'm not considering sticking w it I just want real insight on the schools).....
You're getting real advice. They're all dumps that will leave you in crushing, non-dischargeable debt with very poor chances of getting a decent legal job. You should not attend any of them.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:23 pm

natalia44 wrote:Can i actually get some real advice on the actual schools? Notice I left out staying at the job for a reason (doesn't mean I'm not considering sticking w it I just want real insight on the schools).....
If you want a 50/50 shot at being a lawyer in NY, go to Syracuse.

If you want a 50/50 shot at being a lawyer in Florida, go to Miami.

In any other scenario, don't go. You aren't going to get a job in Boston from any of these schools. Maybe if you did incredibly well at Suffolk but $250k is not worth that shot.

If you want someone to tell you that you are super special awesome, ask your mom. If you want advice from people who don't want to see you become another statistic with $250k in debt and no job, listen to us.

Retake or don't go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Catholic, Suffolk, and Syracuse are among the biggest dumps in the country. Miami is at least somewhat respectable, but still only the third best school in Florida and it will have essentially zero pull outside of the state (not even that much outside the city, from what I understand).

OP, Suffolk part-time with a full ride is the only one of these schools that makes any financial or career sense. "Retake/reapply or don't go at all" makes by far the most sense.

But like Ti Malice, I'm highly suspicious that you have full rides at all these schools. If you're looking at going to one of these and taking out lots of debt, you are committing to a fool's errand.

jayman12

New

Post by jayman12 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Theres a big difference between giving someone actual advice based on their circumstances/options and telling them how awesome and wonderful they are. But you do wanna consider location of these schools and if you're deadset on working in Boston etc.....

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:28 pm

jayman12 wrote:Dont listen to these negative people they won't help you. Kid posts almost 20 times a day saying the same shit to people. You're just hearing the same opinions from the same people who sit on their computers all day trying to make themselves feel better.
Maybe because those people shouldn't go to law school either.

Also I have no idea what I am (should) be feeling bad about

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:32 pm

LOL at the edit. Why would someone lie to a bunch of anon commenters about their debt?

OP, I'm gonna stop you right here. You think there are substantive differences between these schools. There aren't. The programming is the same, the education is the same, the professors are the same, the students are the same. The only things you should consider are the job prospects and debt. I don't know what you think you'll be making and what kind of law you think you'll be practicing coming out of these schools, but without more information about your professional goals the only answer here is going to be retake or don't go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 pm

These schools are all terrible. What sort of insight were you looking for? Also, dont lie about what financial aid you are getting. Finally, realize that the current job you have now would probably be counted as "JD preferred," a good outcome for any of these schools.
Retake or dont go.

jayman12

New

Post by jayman12 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
jayman12 wrote:Dont listen to these negative people they won't help you. Kid posts almost 20 times a day saying the same shit to people. You're just hearing the same opinions from the same people who sit on their computers all day trying to make themselves feel better.

Haha I didn't say you have anything to feel bad about, but I do think posting the same negative advice makes you feel better. All I'm saying is maybe give advice OP can use based on their options, or just go out and get some fresh air for once

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:40 pm

jayman12 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Haha I didn't say you have anything to feel bad about, but I do think posting the same negative advice makes you feel better. All I'm saying is maybe give advice OP can use based on their options, or just go out and get some fresh air for once
1. OP's options, by definition, include (1) retaking or (2) not going. And most of the posters ITT are successful, intelligent 2Ls and 3Ls that have gone through the job search process. Id trust the combination of their antecdotes + empirical data.
Edit: grammar

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:53 pm

jayman12 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

The advice OP can use, and the advice OP needs to hear, is not to go to these law schools. This isn't a place for validation.

If somebody told me "I'm going to kill myself, should I use a knife or a gun?" or "Should I light a million dollars on fire or put it in a woodchipper?" my reaction is going to be "Don't do it." They don't get to go "NO! These are my options, tell me which is better!" and expect me to give them a serious answer. Similarly, when someone is considering career/financial suicide, I'm not going to confine myself to the shittastic options they put on the table. I'm going to try to talk them out of it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”