Where should I deposit? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which schools should I deposit at? (COA listed)

Poll ended at Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:17 pm

WUSTL - $55,000
32%
Minnesota - $85,000
29%
Texas - $175,000
10%
Michigan - $185,000
23%
Georgetown - $195,000
6%

Total votes: 31

layeredbob

New

Where should I deposit?

Post by layeredbob » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Waitlisted at NU and U of Chicago - I have Minnesota residency but I'm currently living in Chicago so I want to wait them out and see what happens.

Meanwhile, where should I deposit? Willing to deposit at more than one.

My decision is partly governed by where my husband can work - he would be able to transfer to any of the above cities pretty quickly/easily (except maybe St. Louis). His income will cover our cost of living, and also my health insurance/books/supplies costs. So the COA is the total amount of debt I anticipate graduating with, accounting for tuition increases and miscellaneous unanticipated costs. (I have done the math. The COA is not a guess.)

I'd like to end up working in Minnesota or Chicago, but wouldn't mind really anywhere in the Midwest, DC, or Texas. I've been told I could come back to the small firm where I currently work as a paralegal, although I'd like to be at a bigger firm (BigLaw is fine - my husband's job is also demanding and we don't plan on having children.) I harbor dreams of working in a regulatory agency in DC, (or eventually in politics), which is why Georgetown has stayed on my list.

WUSTL and Minnesota are already their best offers. Hoping I could still get some $$$ at the others... maybe?

ATR

Silver

Re: Where should I deposit?

Post by ATR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 pm

I would drop Texas and Georgetown right off the bat considering your targeted locations -- MN and Chicago (and mid-west generally). Georgetown is too expensive at that price. If you really want to go for biglaw, I'd consider sending in a deposit at Michigan; that is a pretty high cost for UM, though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”