NEED ADVICE! GW vs. W&L vs. Georgetown Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mosibm

New

NEED ADVICE! GW vs. W&L vs. Georgetown

Post by mosibm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm graduating from a top 100 liberal arts college this Spring with a history degree and secondary education social studies certification in PA. The PA secondary education market is very dry and in an effort to expand my options I took the LSAT this fall and applied to law schools. My GPA is a 3.9 and my LSAT is 168. I've gotten a full ride to Washington and Lee, approximately 80% covered at George Washington, and admittance to Georgetown, with a financial aid decision to come in the next week, but I'm not expecting much if anything. My deposit for GW is due today. My options I'm considering currently, in NO order of preference, are 1) accept GW's offer and commit there 2) forget GW and commit to W&L, barring an exceptional offer from Georgetown or 3) Not attend law school next year, work in PA as a substitute teacher to figure out if I'd want to wait here for a full time position to open up and if I decided I do not want to do that I can retake the LSAT and start this whole process over for next year. Please let me know what you would do if you were me and what your reasoning is. Thanks.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: NEED ADVICE! GW vs. W&L vs. Georgetown

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm

The correct answer is that you should retake and reapply, get a 170 or above, then go to a T14 with scholarship $$.

Is there any reason you didn't apply to other T14 schools, like NYU, Penn, UVA, Northwestern, Duke, and Michigan? You should be accepted to a least a couple of those schools...

mosibm

New

Post by mosibm » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:28 pm

Sorry I didn't think to mention that I applied to both Penn and Columbia and got waitlisted.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:16 pm

With a 168 and a 3.9? Reeeeeeeeeeetakkkkkkkkke. No joke, you could be looking at HLS or CCNP with $ with some studying.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:02 pm

I know you probably really want to go to law school this year, but I really think taking a year and reapplying after retaking the LSAT. We have the same GPA, you went to a better undergrad than me, and with my 173 I got full scholarships to better schools. With just a few more points your options could be so much better.

Honestly, I didn't study that much for the LSAT and while I'm pretty happy with where I am, I still regret not studying more and improving my score.

Three years from now you don't want to be still looking for a job as a 3L, looking back and wishing you had put more effort into the LSAT and gone to a better school.

wishesarefishes

New

Post by wishesarefishes » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:20 pm

RETAKE! With a 3.9, anything above 170 should get you into better schools and if you get 173+ you should get in with a fair bit of money. You did all that work in undergrad to get that 3.9 so why waste the effort by not studying a bit more and getting a better LSAT score?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”