Page 1 of 1

Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:17 pm
by ashawnt
I'm from Southern California and would love to stay here but University of Arizonas rank and employment statistics has made making a decision difficult. With seat deposit deadlines approaching its time to make a decision!!

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:19 pm
by NanaP
ashawnt wrote:I'm from Southern California and would love to stay here but University of Arizonas rank and employment statistics has made making a decision difficult. With seat deposit deadlines approaching its time to make a decision!!

I would caution going anywhere at sticker. People are going to tell you to retake.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:25 pm
by BigZuck
If these were my choices I would not go to law school.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:29 pm
by md22
USD at sticker? Might as well borrow 200,000 bucks and take it to Vegas. Please retake. The idea of going anywhere at sticker makes me dizzy.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:35 pm
by twenty
md22 wrote:USD at sticker? Might as well borrow 200,000 bucks and take it to Vegas. Please retake. The idea of going anywhere at sticker makes me dizzy.
You'd ultimately do way better if you put it all on red. A 50/50 shot at making double your money's worth back is significantly better odds than USD.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:01 pm
by bchirco
I don't understand, is the $22k the total CoA? If so then absolutely Loyola. If that is the scholarship and you arent going to retake, go to Arizona no doubt. Yes you will have to work in Az, but that school punches in way above its weight. Never go to USD at sticker unless you don't care about landing a legal job. Actually, just never go to USD at sticker.

Retake>Arizona>Don't go.

Some would argue

Retake>Don't go> Arizona.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm
by jbagelboy
ashawnt wrote:I'm from Southern California and would love to stay here but University of Arizonas rank and employment statistics has made making a decision difficult. With seat deposit deadlines approaching its time to make a decision!!
If you are new to TLS, know that people are highly critical of schools that can't place you into biglaw or prestigious PI positions. do you care about how this education is financed? the idea behind much of the logic you will hear is that you should not loan out money that you will not be able to repay. If someone is funding you education in full and you just want a JD degree, then that's a different consideration.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:51 pm
by ashawnt
The 22.5k for Loyola is the total amount of scholarship given to me. 7.5k a year.. .. So Loyola would be pretty close to sticker as well...sorry for the confusion guys.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:57 pm
by PRgradBYU
BigZuck wrote:If these were my choices I would not go to law school.
+1. If you're absolutely insistent, however, I also agree with this:
bchirco wrote:Retake>Arizona>Don't go.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:12 pm
by RSterling
I rarely make an appearance in these types of threads, but none of these are particularly good options. Waiting a year and retaking could potentially be worth tens of thousands of dollars. As a fellow retaker, I know it's awful to switch gears when you see yourself in law school this fall, but you can do better. One year is a drop in the bucket in comparison to everything that a solid retake could earn you.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:18 pm
by unclepete
Loyola has a solid reputation is Southern CA. I agree with everybody else that you should NOT go there with the current offer, but could you negotiate more out of them? I've seen a lot of people on here w/ 90-96k from them

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:45 pm
by TripTrip
unclepete wrote:Loyola has a solid reputation is Southern CA. I agree with everybody else that you should NOT go there with the current offer, but could you negotiate more out of them? I've seen a lot of people on here w/ 90-96k from them
It doesn't look like OP has much to negotiate with.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:56 pm
by BigZuck
OP, what are your numbers?

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm
by ManoftheHour
ashawnt wrote:The 22.5k for Loyola is the total amount of scholarship given to me. 7.5k a year.. .. So Loyola would be pretty close to sticker as well...sorry for the confusion guys.
No way.

I'm CONSIDERING Loyola with 96k, but they have harsh stips (top 50%). I'll also add that I'm not paying a dime for COL either. 22.5k is a no go.

Retaking is by far my best choice and yours as well.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:06 pm
by bananapeanutbutter
ManoftheHour wrote:
ashawnt wrote:The 22.5k for Loyola is the total amount of scholarship given to me. 7.5k a year.. .. So Loyola would be pretty close to sticker as well...sorry for the confusion guys.
No way.

I'm CONSIDERING Loyola with 96k, but they have harsh stips (top 50%). I'll also add that I'm not paying a dime for COL either. 22.5k is a no go.

Retaking is by far my best choice and yours as well.
i wouldn't stress the stips at loyola - i'd stress the employment #'s.

if you don't meet those stips, you drop out. if there's no section stacking, even if stips were you need to be top 25%, i wouldn't consider that a deal breaker because if i wasn't top 25% i'd leave.

Re: Seat deposit less than a week away help me make a decision.

Posted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:42 pm
by Doorkeeper
Retake the LSAT and reapply next year to get a larger scholarship.

None of these law schools are worth the amount of money you would be paying them.