Updated Poll Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

NYU (62,500-75,000 depending on what I make the 2nd summer)
53%
UVA (90,000)
47%

Total votes: 34

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Updated Poll

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:45 am

Hey all, I've made a couple of these in the past but I settled on my top two choices and have updated financial info. Thanks for your help. I want to end up in DC after graduation and eventually want to do PI but am okay with doing corporate for a few years.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Updated Poll

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:00 am

UVA is giving you more money, has significantly lower COA, and is in proximity to D.C. (making networking and externships/internships easier and more accessible). I'm assuming that UVA has better D.C. placement (could be wrong though, just a guess) UVA's PI isn't bad either, but probably not as good as NYU. But if you're looking to minimize debt and gun for D.C. then UVA seems like the better choice

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 am

I think this is close enough that you should make your decision based on where you think you'd be happy living for three years.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:12 am

Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:17 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out
+1

I won't go far as to say that their placement power is equal, but it's likely that you'll have similar placement opportunities from both schools as far as employed vs. unemployed. The COA in Greenwich village is really expensive. Like...really. At this point just minimize debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am

cusenation wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:Voting UVA because you probably won't get DC, and having less debt + striking out > more debt + striking out
+1

I won't go far as to say that their placement power is equal, but it's likely that you'll have similar placement opportunities from both schools as far as employed vs. unemployed. The COA in Greenwich village is really expensive. Like...really. At this point just minimize debt.
This assumes that, if you attend NYU, you'll live in the most expensive place possible, which isn't totally fair. I'd assume that if you live at NYU, you would live with one or more roommates in Brooklyn and pay $1000-1200/month. It's expensive, especially compared to the ability to live alone in Charlottesville for $800-900/month, but I don't think the cost difference is that extreme.

There are certainly lifestyle differences (for example, at UVA, you'll drive 5-10 minutes to get to class, and at NYU you'll be on the subway for 25-35 minutes to get to class). Cost is controllable, however.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am

For NYU keep in mind. If you are fortunate and receive a 1L SA (which is doable) you will receive $24K net to take some of the sting out of NYC COL. Chances are excellent for a 2L SA, again $24K net income. Not sure about UVA opportunities other than there is the hassle of having to relocate to NYC for the summer if you receive a BL NYC SA.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am

Renne Walker wrote:For NYU keep in mind. If you are fortunate and receive a 1L SA (which is doable) you will receive $24K net to take some of the sting out of NYC COL. Chances are excellent for a 2L SA, again $24K net income. Not sure about UVA opportunities other than there is the hassle of having to relocate to NYC for the summer if you receive a BL NYC SA.
you will, however, likely earn a little more because our summer funding is better.

Pick here if you're cool with working in NY for at least the first 2-3 year years of your career. If not, UVA

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:07 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I think this is close enough that you should make your decision based on where you think you'd be happy living for three years.
All things being equal, I agree with this. The difference here is only 30-50k.

It looks like UVA places a lot more into DC (22% vs 8% for NYU). I don't know if this is a self-selection bias, or whether UVA really does have better DC connections. I would imagine a little of both. This being said, NYU is slightly safer for back-up options if your grades aren't good enough for DC from either school (48% vs. 60% overall biglaw).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Why do you say probably wont get DC?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:03 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I think this is close enough that you should make your decision based on where you think you'd be happy living for three years.
+1 to this and JMJ's comments

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:33 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:
Why do you say probably wont get DC?
Because DC is a surprisingly small and very popular market dominated by HYS grads. Then you have to contend with top students from other T14 schools who also all want DC.

For the sake of figuring out your law school plans, *assume* you'll be in NYC for at least two years, if you're lucky enough to get a biglaw job at all.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”