U Chicago vs. Berkeley Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TaipeiMort

Silver

Re: U Chicago vs. Berkeley

Post by TaipeiMort » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:28 pm

solucky wrote:The students were definitely humble and impressive, but the programs and student body seemed overtly conservative. I would ideally love to attend SLS and if I have a shot, I feel like I should exhaust all my options (especially since costs would be the same).
The student body is not conservative. It is likely 70% liberal or liberal-leaning politically uninvolved people. I mean, there are some libertarians and catholics and secular Jews and Mormons, but you are pretty intellectually shallow and closed-minded if you don't see advantage in attending a school with ideological diversity. BTW, conservative faculty members really just is code for Chicago-school of econ/free market people.

solucky

New

Post by solucky » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:07 pm

I do see the value in attending a school with ideological diversity, but more than a few students rubbed me the wrong way. I am not insulting the student body, but Chicago may just not be my cup of tea.

Regardless, this was not the tipping factor in my decision to retake--I already had many substantial reasons for why I wanted to retake--this factor (albeit subjective considering my short and unrepresentative exposure during ASW) just slightly contributed to the decision I was already leaning towards.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Do commit and retake. It will take the stress off when you retake, probably adding 1-2 maybe more points to your score. They'll be able to fill the spot easily anyway.

Smumps

Bronze

Post by Smumps » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 pm

solucky wrote:The students were definitely humble and impressive, but the programs and student body seemed overtly conservative. I would ideally love to attend SLS and if I have a shot, I feel like I should exhaust all my options (especially since costs would be the same).
As a 1L at UoC, I know 5 actual "conservatives" in our entire class. There's a few libertarians, but yeah. I'm not sure who you spent ASW with, but it certainly wasn't any of us. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect it, but it's misplaced.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Last edited by Myself on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

solucky

New

Post by solucky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:48 am

ajax adonis wrote:I would commit to UChi, retake, and back out if you do significantly better (say, over 168).
Yeah the plan is to commit and defer. Retake October. And if I withdraw to re-apply, what would I say in that scenario though?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 pm

solucky wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:I would commit to UChi, retake, and back out if you do significantly better (say, over 168).
Yeah the plan is to commit and defer. Retake October. And if I withdraw to re-apply, what would I say in that scenario though?
Wait. Isn't deferral binding? So if you commit then defer you would have to wait to reapply for admission into c/o 2018 if your October retake goes as you hope?

I think the advice about committing and backing out if you wind up with a better score is only good if you take the June test and have a score before classes start.
Last edited by Emma. on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Yeah don't commit and defer. Commit to attend in the fall and retake June. Best case you get mad scholarships or acceptances next cycle, worse case you get to attend the #4 law school. Worst case in the deferral scenario is you piss off a law school and who knows what.

solucky

New

Post by solucky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 am

Wait seriously? June is coming up too fast to guarantee a score increase.

Maybe it makes the most sense to not commit anywhere, retake, reapply.

Originally I wanted to commit to Chicago and defer, then withdraw from deferral if I did well on October 2013, and re-apply to be competitive for merit aid/HYS in the 2013-2014 cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 am

solucky wrote:Wait seriously? June is coming up too fast to guarantee a score increase.

Maybe it makes the most sense to not commit anywhere, retake, reapply.

Originally I wanted to commit to Chicago and defer, then withdraw from deferral if I did well on October 2013, and re-apply to be competitive for merit aid/HYS in the 2013-2014 cycle.
Do this. Seriously. I promise you that Chicago isn't going to act like a scorned lover next cycle and reject you out of spite. Also I can't tell you how shocked I'd be if you didn't increase your score several points after adequate prep.

solucky

New

Post by solucky » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:47 pm

For the past few months I decided to just go with Berkeley, but recently got a fellowship offer I couldn't refuse.

I decided to not commit anywhere and I'm hoping this doesn't mean I won't get Berkeley or UChicago in the fall.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. How much of a bump is necessary for HYS? At least 170 right? Or since it'll be averaged with my 165, I need much higher?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:34 am

170-172 gives you a good shot at H. 173 or higher and you are in. YS are unpredictable. Gratz on the fellowship and what can potentially be an amazing cycle after your retake!

HYS consider both but for their numerical medians, they don't average. The 165 will be viewed as a negative soft and nothing more.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:53 am

jbagelboy wrote: Not sure why anyone would post about this anyway or why you would care since you are of the moneyed class and finances wont impeed your education.

I :lol: :lol: . Marxism is fun.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm

Academia is a such a crapshoot (and growing more so as enrollment drops) that is probably not a good idea planning a career around it (unless you already have a PhD/background in publishing academic work. That said, better chance of employment out of Chicago, but I don't know how well it travels to Cal.

O yea - definitely retake if you didn't max out your score potential.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:54 pm

don't go to TTT you see berkeley

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”