uva or gtown for fed gov./pi Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whereskyle

Silver

uva or gtown for fed gov./pi

Post by whereskyle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am

Hey all. Didn't apply to g'town this cycle, cuz I approached this cycle as a "reach for the stars only" cycle. Anyways, ill prolly retake and reapply, but I do have an offer from uva, which I'm hard-pressed to pass up. Frankly, I really dont want to live in c'ville. I would love to live and work in d.c. If I'm interested in gov't, pi, regulation and the like, does uva trump gulc to such a degree that it's worth c'ville for three years or are the opportunities pretty much equal?

whereskyle

Silver

Re: uva or gtown for fed gov./pi

Post by whereskyle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:02 am

Also, what about gw and American if I'm almost exclusively interested in pi/gov/policy?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am

COA for UVA?

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 pm

patrickd139 wrote:COA for UVA?
Sticker

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 pm

whereskyle wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:COA for UVA?
Sticker
That's a ton of money for any school (~$246k for in state residents, according to LST, which doesn't take into account inflation or tuition increases, IIRC).

I'd explore other options, whether that's retaking, reapplying earlier (and broader) next cycle, or a combination of the two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm

If you can get into UVA and G'town you might get a nice chunk of money from GW which is probably a better option than either UVA or GT at sticker if you want gov/PI exclusively.

whereskyle

Silver

Post by whereskyle » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Cellar-door wrote:If you can get into UVA and G'town you might get a nice chunk of money from GW which is probably a better option than either UVA or GT at sticker if you want gov/PI exclusively.
Can a 170 secure a gw ED? Any deets on that?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:11 pm

whereskyle wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:If you can get into UVA and G'town you might get a nice chunk of money from GW which is probably a better option than either UVA or GT at sticker if you want gov/PI exclusively.
Pretty sure if you got into UVA you would have no trouble getting into GW. However, why would you ED in this situation? that provides less incentive to give you financial aid.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
whereskyle wrote:
Pretty sure if you got into UVA you would have no trouble getting into GW. However, why would you ED in this situation? that provides less incentive to give you financial aid.
GW plays the full tuition ED game akin to NU and BU. Traditionally speaking, based on LSN, you have to at/above both 75th to have a shot. It won't be a sure thing, but it's worth shooting for if you're in that position.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”