HELP! MASS College of Law or DUKE! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
digby12

New

HELP! MASS College of Law or DUKE!

Post by digby12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Ok, hello first time poster and my friend recommended the site to help my with decision. So so excited for Law School! I'm stuck between the Masschusetts School of Law in Andover, MA and Duke University Law in Durhman, MA. First of all, I am from MA, want to practice in MA, and have a full scholly at Mass Law.
Unfortunately I would be going to Duke at sticker which scares the crap out of me, but a few people tell me its worth it because of their good/national reputation, but this is largely the result of their sports teams. I'm also very worried about going to school in the south and dealing with slow/dumb southerners, religious radicals, and nascar. Generally speaking I think the north is much more enlightened than the south, which leads me to believe it would be crazy to spend all that $$$ on a North Carolina school, rather than going to school outside of Boston. I don't pay much attention to rankings or prestige so please help me overall with advice and what you think is best for me. Also I'm not sure what type of law I wanna do, I just wanna focus on getting a good education and making good contacts. I will ultimately be choosing one of these options, and am clearly leaning towards Mass School of Law due to price, location, and my gut feeling, but wanted to get some advice here before I send in a deposit! Thanks All!

Ti Malice

Gold

Re: HELP! MASS College of Law or DUKE!

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:57 pm

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Ti Malice wrote:122
generous

digby12

New

Post by digby12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:20 pm

Ti Malice wrote:122
I'm looking for real advice, not your lsat score guy. wrong thread bro

WearyCartographer

New

Post by WearyCartographer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Tough choice. Make a poll

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 pm

As someone raised in the South, I'm a little annoyed by your preconceptions.

FWIW, the Triangle is the most progressive area in NC. Durham itself recently rejected Amendment 1 (banning gay marriage) by something like 70-30.

Given the impression I'm getting of you from your original post, I'd say go to MA.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:33 pm

bro don't listen to these haters. think of this choice like an investment scheme. you want ot get in on the ground floor. don't buy high only to sell high. you want to buy low and sell high. go to Mass College of the Law and get in on the ground floor and ride that buoyant bitch to the top.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey, if MCL doesn't work out and you only place top -1%, you can always transfer to BU. Win...Win.

digby12

New

Post by digby12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:40 pm

stillwater wrote:bro don't listen to these haters. think of this choice like an investment scheme. you want ot get in on the ground floor. don't buy high only to sell high. you want to buy low and sell high. go to Mass College of the Law and get in on the ground floor and ride that buoyant bitch to the top.
Bro- Ya thats a good way to look at it bro. I know for a fact Mass School of Law is on the rise bro. And bro, your right probably would be a good investment that my kids and grandkids will thank me for someday later. And i do think the rankings are skewed a bit to include geographic diversity, hence why duke is so high. Still nervous! Bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:41 pm

WearyCartographer wrote:Tough choice. Make a poll

digby12

New

Post by digby12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 pm

NinerFan wrote:As someone raised in the South, I'm a little annoyed by your preconceptions.

FWIW, the Triangle is the most progressive area in NC. Durham itself recently rejected Amendment 1 (banning gay marriage) by something like 70-30.

Given the impression I'm getting of you from your original post, I'd say go to MA.
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/sma ... es/10.html

Smartest states, mostly all in the north. The triangle might be the most progressive area in NC, but that doesn't mean its progressive. It's like being the skinniest kid at fat camp, you might feel good about yourself now but wait until you get out in the real world

fallingup

Bronze

Post by fallingup » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 pm

ummmmmmmmmmm troll

drive4showLSAT4dough

Bronze

Post by drive4showLSAT4dough » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Is MSL an accredited law school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

digby12

New

Post by digby12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:23 pm

drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:Is MSL an accredited law school?
Hey man, not really interested in the negligible administrative details, really looking at the big picture here and I think we're all getting sidetracked

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 pm

digby12 wrote:
drive4showLSAT4dough wrote:Is MSL an accredited law school?
Hey man, not really interested in the negligible administrative details, really looking at the big picture here and I think we're all getting sidetracked
Amen, dude. Don't let these haters nickel and dime you with the details.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 pm

I pick MASS college of law
NinerFan wrote:FWIW, the Triangle is the most progressive area in NC.
You're forgetting Asheville bro.

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Is this real life?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Just in case no one else looked at the website like I did (because I'd never heard of the school) , they do not require you take the LSAT.

Also their motto is "Where you learn to become a lawyer". This gave me a chuckle.

But really you should go

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

I'd definitely choose Massachusetts over Duke. In addition to being so enlightened, you will have excellent employment opportunities that those rednecks at Duke just can't provide.

http://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartmo ... ummary.pdf

digby12

New

Post by digby12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:38 pm

Winston1984 wrote:I'd definitely choose Massachusetts over Duke. In addition to being so enlightened, you will have excellent employment opportunities that those rednecks at Duke just can't provide.

http://www.umassd.edu/media/umassdartmo ... ummary.pdf

That smells like sarcasm. And wrong school, brah. Why don't you come back later and try again...

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 pm

You're right. I couldn't even find employment statistics for this school. There is no way these are your two options. Troll.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:55 pm

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 pm

OP, don't let these haters tell you what to THANK, you gotta do you. You know in your heart, no matter what, you are getting to the top. Are you gonna let the establishment tell you how to get there? Next thing you know, they'll be dressing you up like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Buy low, sell high.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 am

Winston1984 wrote:You're right. I couldn't even find employment statistics for this school. There is no way these are your two options. Troll.
LOL a non-ABA-accredited school.

digby12

New

Post by digby12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:07 am

stillwater wrote:OP, don't let these haters tell you what to THANK, you gotta do you. You know in your heart, no matter what, you are getting to the top. Are you gonna let the establishment tell you how to get there? Next thing you know, they'll be dressing you up like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Buy low, sell high.
Bro, you've been speaking my language this whole time. I'm a get me me, and take from them them. Only person giving me real advice on here, real recognize real. And Fuck Dorothy.

These options are real fellas, interesting circumstances I know, but real advice needed

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”