Negotiating a Scholarship w/ Job Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HuskyHopeful

New

Negotiating a Scholarship w/ Job

Post by HuskyHopeful » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Long story short:

I received a 60% scholarship to a local TTT. The TTT is located in an area I want to work and has a decent reputation within the area. The scholarship is renewable each year with the stipulation that I remain in the top 50%.

That being said, I graduated from undergrad in December and have a decent job. The job pays 65k a year (the lowest pay grade at the company). The job includes a full pension, full benefits, and a tuition reimbursement program if I decide to get an MS or MBA.
I have made the decision that I will not attend any law school unless receiving a full scholarship. Without even receiving a promotion I will be at 70k in 3 years, what I most likely would make after 3 years of attending law school (hopefully). Is there a way I can use my job as leverage to increase my scholarship? I started to draft out an email but it came off sounding arrogant.

Any way to negotiate? Or should I cut my losses and go for the MS/MBA for free.

dr123

Gold

Re: Negotiating a Scholarship w/ Job

Post by dr123 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about Seattle U based on your username. I would not go there.

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Hehe no sir on SeaTTTle.

Additional Info: I have acceptances to several T2 but no money.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:51 pm

Stick with your job and retake the LSAT.

hoogs23

Bronze

Post by hoogs23 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm

job and never go to law school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Well the plan is to defer if i can get a full scholly so I have a year to really marinate on the decision. Really just looking for some negotiation advice here. As far as the LSATs, took it twice. First time not so hot -- second time studied for several months daily and really gave it my best shot.

GPA:3.4
LSAT:151/160

drs36

Bronze

Post by drs36 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:07 pm

hoogs23 wrote:job and never go to law school
This.

wiscohopeful

Bronze

Post by wiscohopeful » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Unless you really have a desire to be a lawyer, I think it would be foolish to pass up your job (with a free degree in the future) for a school and industry that may never get you to a salary that you are thinking about passing up now. Work hard, use your time now to study hard for the GMAT and enjoy your future.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:13 am

drs36 wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:job and never go to law school
rad lulz wrote:don't go to law school
If you gave the LSAT your best shot and scored a 160, law school probably isn't a good idea, OP.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Keep the job. Go the MS or MBA route later with the tuition reimbursement if you see fit. You have a lot more upward mobility in that job than you will with a TTT JD.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Stick with the job and the optional free degree. If you later decide that you want to go to law school, then go. Law school isn't going anywhere, so don't make the decision unless you're really certain, especially when you'd be giving up a decent job to do so.

Edit: And to answer your original question, I don't think that a job gives you much leverage in negotiation.

philly_law

New

Post by philly_law » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm

OP, for the sweet love of all that is good and wholesome, do not go to law school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Taking the TCR here and not going for a JD.

That being said, anyone know where I can get some good input for GMAT prep and strengthening my app for acceptance to a highly ranked school?

I did engineering in UG so have a strong Math base so am anticipating a better score on the GMAT.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:49 pm

You can negotiate with anything. I painted a very realistic oil painting of how much I wanted to go to Northwestern and live in Chicago, took a picture of it, and then used it to negotiate more money out of the other schools.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:51 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Taking the TCR here and not going for a JD.

That being said, anyone know where I can get some good input for GMAT prep and strengthening my app for acceptance to a highly ranked school?

I did engineering in UG so have a strong Math base so am anticipating a better score on the GMAT.
Manhattan has good GMAT prep. The GMAT is a little different because there aren't tons of practice tests you can work off of. Check out wall street oasis for more info.

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:You can negotiate with anything. I painted a very realistic oil painting of how much I wanted to go to Northwestern and live in Chicago, took a picture of it, and then used it to negotiate more money out of the other schools.
lolwut.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chraruce

New

Post by chraruce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:39 am

I'm guessing he means that he "painted" a story about how much he wanted to go to Chicago, which he used to negotiate a scholarship from some Chicago law school. After he got a scholarship offer, he used that offer (i.e. the letter with the offer) to negotiate with other schools in order to get them to increase their scholly.
Just a guess of interpretation. I agree, some people are ambiguous... rather, lawyers are ambiguous.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:11 am

chraruce wrote:I'm guessing he means that he "painted" a story about how much he wanted to go to Chicago, which he used to negotiate a scholarship from some Chicago law school. After he got a scholarship offer, he used that offer (i.e. the letter with the offer) to negotiate with other schools in order to get them to increase their scholly.
Just a guess of interpretation. I agree, some people are ambiguous... rather, lawyers are ambiguous.
No, I painted a painting. An oil painting. When I showed it to the other schools they saw that i was serious about Northwestern, and forked up the $. Negotiation by any means.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:
chraruce wrote:I'm guessing he means that he "painted" a story about how much he wanted to go to Chicago, which he used to negotiate a scholarship from some Chicago law school. After he got a scholarship offer, he used that offer (i.e. the letter with the offer) to negotiate with other schools in order to get them to increase their scholly.
No, I painted a painting. An oil painting. When I showed it to the other schools they saw that i was serious about Northwestern, and forked up the $. Negotiation by any means.
Can you just email them a picture for it to work? Do you have to fly out and show them the original? Did you get it placed in a gallery? How much does it hurt if you can't have it professionally displayed? What color pallets are adcoms most receptive to? Why oil? Would other forms of art work? TYIA

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”