Syracuse? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GreenGoober

New

Syracuse?

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 pm

A few weeks ago I was accepted to Syracuse law with a $25K/year scholarship. I also qualify for $20.5K in loans and my parents will contribute up to $10K a year for tuition. I have $10K saved up from working (I work full time).

My question is: Should I attend Syracuse Law? I have yet to hear back from the eight other schools I applied to, except that I was rejected to UNLV Law (Although, I rushed to complete their application before the deadline and, honestly, I would have denied me, too.)

I have been out of school for almost a year, I work in website development (pays well, but not my end goal), and I am also considering a joint degree (M.S. in CompSci).

Thoughts? Please keep them professional.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Re: Syracuse?

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:06 pm

I have them going to the Final 4

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Probably not, but i need some more info. what would be the total out of pocket cost of attendance for 3 years? Does the scholarship have any stipulations? Are you from central NY and do you want to work there?
ManOfTheMinute wrote:I have them going to the Final 4
Bold pick. Also heard our VP went there.

nebula666

Silver

Post by nebula666 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Your two applications were to UNLV and Syracuse? Are you just randomly applying or are you actually willing to work for a long time after graduating in these local markets?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Syracuse Law is the backdoor to the Vice Presidency

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:03 pm

nebula666 wrote:Your two applications were to UNLV and Syracuse? Are you just randomly applying or are you actually willing to work for a long time after graduating in these local markets?
Every year, there are a ton of random apps to syracuse and miami. there are probably some others i'm forgetting too, but it never fails. i don't know why anyone would randomly choose cuse but they do.

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

I am from the south, but I have a lot of family on the east coast (including one in Syracuse) and I would like to move to New York/the east coast permanently. Essentially, I want to live in snow until I die hahaha

The stipulation on the scholarship is to keep my GPA at or above 2.80. I would incur up to $61,500 in loans, but most likely no more. I am also in the process of applying for outside scholarships. My financing is not really the issue. I have no current debts and can take the hit after law school. I am just wondering what my job prospects would be with either a JD or a JD/CompSci MS from Syracuse. I would like to be at $80K within twelve months of graduation, and I have no interest in a law firm with more than twenty attorneys. In fact, I would actually prefer to work for a corporation as in-house counsel (although I am not sure if that is realistic).

Do you know any SUCOL grads? How well do average grads do after graduation, assuming they graduated at least in the top 50% of their class, if not significantly higher?

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Please only reply if you have a decent bracket or put at least $100 on the Towson Tigers making it all the way.

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 pm

deadpanic wrote:
nebula666 wrote:Your two applications were to UNLV and Syracuse? Are you just randomly applying or are you actually willing to work for a long time after graduating in these local markets?
Every year, there are a ton of random apps to syracuse and miami. there are probably some others i'm forgetting too, but it never fails. i don't know why anyone would randomly choose cuse but they do.
I chose them because I have been working in online development (building websites, HTML/PHP, online marketing, conversion, ect) since my junior year in college and it is now a solid career (started at $20 an hour for freelance work but I now make a salary, so I don't have to worry about upselling my hours). I would like to stay somewhat close to the industry I currently work in. Several schools offer markets either rich with start-ups, intellectual property needs, or online/ecommerce companies. For instance, I also applied to Santa Clara and Houston. I cannot readily get into and/or get scholarships for most tier 1 schools, so I am sticking with TT.
Last edited by GreenGoober on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 pm

It really sounds like you have dreams of working in NYC or some other big city on the east coast from syracuse. you won't be. you will be working in syracuse or around that area in central/upstate NY, and you have around a 50% chance of actually finding work as a lawyer, probably doing insurance defense or family law making 30-45K. you won't be working for a corporation in-house.

if by some miracle, you wind up in the top 5% or so, i'd imagine you have a shot at NYC or at least a good legal job somewhere in new york.

i realize you said you don't want biglaw. a lot of people don't. you probably won't even have that chance. the thing is, small firms rarely have openings and there is such a surplus of attorneys right now that they can cherry pick who they want. i'd be really weary of going to a random place in central new york with virtually no ties. good luck, though.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm

man, syracuse is not going to help you in IP. specialty programs are basically bullshit. IP is the one thing that could be useful, just probably not from cuse. what is your undergrad degree in?

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Did you attend SUCOL or know SUCOL grads? How did you/they do after graduation?

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 pm

deadpanic wrote:man, syracuse is not going to help you in IP. specialty programs are basically bullshit. IP is the one thing that could be useful, just probably not from cuse. what is your undergrad degree in?
History, minor in Business. Graduated with honors. Wrote my thesis at 19, presented it my junior year. Only have a 156 LSAT, though, which limits my choices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 pm

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:49 pm

wow. This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

exitoptions

Bronze

Post by exitoptions » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:50 pm

Since you want stories, I have two.

1) My cousin graduated relatively highly ranked (I think with honors) from Cuse Law a few years back and works for a small non-profit making ~$15 and hour (which she says is a relatively good outcome for her class). She is pretty granola.

2) A friend of a friend works at a NYC BigLaw firm as a staff attorney (non-partner track). I think he makes decent money, but it's an hourly position.

I haven't met a single Cuse lawyer at a big firm as an associate or partner (my NYC biglaw firm has none).

GreenGoober

New

Post by GreenGoober » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 pm

exitoptions wrote:Since you want stories, I have two.

1) My cousin graduated relatively highly ranked (I think with honors) from Cuse Law a few years back and works for a small non-profit making ~$15 and hour (which she says is a relatively good outcome for her class). She is pretty granola.

2) A friend of a friend works at a NYC BigLaw firm as a staff attorney (non-partner track). I think he makes decent money, but it's an hourly position.

I haven't met a single Cuse lawyer at a big firm as an associate or partner (my NYC biglaw firm has none).
Interesting. Thanks for this! It's hard to get away from "this is what I think" and get to "this is what is actually happening." Appreciate it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Retake -> Kill it -> Go for free

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:37 pm

GreenGoober wrote:
Please only reply if you have a decent bracket or put at least $100 on the Towson Tigers making it all the way.
As you can see, Syracuse is expensive with poor job prospects. It places primarily into low-paying jobs in the New York State area. Given that you have no ties to that area, and given that the school will be pretty pricey, and given that you are unlikely to get a legal job paying more than 40-60k (if you can get a legal job at all), Syracuse would be a terrible decision for you.

If you are really set on being in NY, you should retake for one of the east coast schools, or at least go to Syracuse for free so that you don't end up debt pwned.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”