Seton Hall vs. Rutgers N vs. Cardozo Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thethe

New

Re: Seton Hall vs. Rutgers N vs. Cardozo

Post by thethe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 am

Even if it's free because of the veteran service, I'd still argue using a universal meal voucher at McDonalds over a steakhouse is a sin.

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:16 am

OP, PM me. We have a decent amount in common, and I might have some insider information that might sway people in your circumstances

japenanunez

New

Post by japenanunez » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:41 pm

Mister Gold wrote:Fellow vet here, was considering Seton Hall as well because of yellow ribbon program. I decided against it because they only offer yellow ribbon to 10 students per year. First come, first served basis. If you're not actively refreshing email when the forms are released, there's a possibility of not being one of the first ten. Considering the astronomical prices associated with SH, not having the YR for even 1 year out of 3 would be a disaster.

If you can retake and get a few extra points, Fordham would be a solid option. They offer 55 spots in YR, so you wouldn't have to worry about that aspect of things. I believe the BAH is also significantly higher for Fordham than SH, but I haven't looked at the charts.

Anyway, high risk at SH, there are much safer options for us as veterans at other schools.

Hope this helps you in some way, good luck.
Same here initially I thought it was a great deal until I started thinking about the possibility of losing the YR and having to pay out of pocket for a so-so law school. NY BAH is much nicer and given that Cardozo in NYC it would be silly to choose SH over Cardozo.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Last edited by resilience99 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:58 pm

resilience99 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:
higher bar pass rate is not subjective at all.
Your explanation for it was. How do you know that the quality of education is the sole reasoning behind their higher passage rate? How do you know that it isn't because Seton Hall recruits/attracts students of a higher intelligence?

Their are too many factors to consider when looking at a statistic like that.

Like I said earlier - arguing over these minute details is silly. Until one of the schools starts placing 20% of its grads into big law or jumps into the T20 with strong employment prospects their is no clear winner. Frankly, who cares - it all comes down to $$$ when your talking about TTT.
Seton Hall and Rutger students have roughly the same gpa and lsat numbers, so the idea that SH attracts students with higher intelligence is flawed. SH seems to provide a better education than Rutgers. You are right in that neither school is a great option, but SH is better.

You're missing the point, I used that as an example to highlight your flawed reasoning.

Yet again, it doesn't matter - neither school is worth investing more towards.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NJDevils1234

New

Post by NJDevils1234 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 am

My stats: 3.24 / 157 - retake not an option. I am originally from NJ but am not adverse to working in NY (big or small firm). I have gotten into Seton Hall w/ 25 K, Rutgers-Newark (instate) and Cardozo (no money). I have family that runs a law office, of which I can take over when the time is right. Thinking over my options it's impossible to justify the high sticker price and cost of attendance to Cardozo.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:05 am

NJDevils1234 wrote:My stats: 3.24 / 157 - retake not an option. I am originally from NJ but am not adverse to working in NY (big or small firm). I have gotten into Seton Hall w/ 25 K, Rutgers-Newark (instate) and Cardozo (no money). I have family that runs a law office, of which I can take over when the time is right. Thinking over my options it's impossible to justify the high sticker price and cost of attendance to Cardozo.

Stipulation on the Seton Hall scholarship?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:09 am

NJDevils1234 wrote:My stats: 3.24 / 157 - retake not an option. I am originally from NJ but am not adverse to working in NY (big or small firm). I have gotten into Seton Hall w/ 25 K, Rutgers-Newark (instate) and Cardozo (no money). I have family that runs a law office, of which I can take over when the time is right. Thinking over my options it's impossible to justify the high sticker price and cost of attendance to Cardozo.
It's hard to justify any of these schools. You're looking at six figures of debt for pretty mediocre degrees. That makes even less sense given that you have a job lined up. Why not just go somewhere for free, then go work at the law office?

And why is retake not an option?

Docreviewsux

New

Post by Docreviewsux » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
It's hard to justify any of these schools. You're looking at six figures of debt for pretty mediocre degrees. That makes even less sense given that you have a job lined up. Why not just go somewhere for free, then go work at the law office?

And why is retake not an option?
Don't go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NJDevils1234

New

Post by NJDevils1234 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Stipulation is 2.8 or top 80%... so I am confident I can manage that.

Retake isn't an option because I've taken the LSAT 3x already. I'm currently working full time and do not want to wait an additional application cycle and it's not like my GPA will get any better. I received a higher offer from Syracuse but it's further from home and I don't want to be in upstate NY.

The general sentiment on these message boards seems to say keep debt as low as possible and yes I know it's not t14 - I know what I am undertaking debtwise and have a lot of family in law. I just wanted your opinions on these specific institutions given the instate vs scholarship - not how they compare to the t14. OBVIOUSLY I'm not trying to equate the two.

Mister Gold

New

Post by Mister Gold » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:53 pm

If you have a guaranteed job, why are you looking at taking on so much debt at these schools? Go somewhere that offers you as close to a full ride as possible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”