Yale v. Harvard v. NYU (RTK) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Yale v. Harvard v. NYU (RTK)

NYU (RTK)
24%
Harvard
10%
Yale
66%

Total votes: 83

bayark

New

Yale v. Harvard v. NYU (RTK)

Post by bayark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 pm

I know that the HLS sticker vs CCN with scholarship question has been beaten to death on these boards, but I don't see it as much with YLS thrown in the mix. Just wanted to see what TLS thinks on this one. I'm mainly considering Yale at sticker v. the Root-Tilden-Kern (as with other RTKs, I want to have a well-formed idea of my decision before the interview), but HLS (sticker) is still a possibility.

I know that I'd like to go public interest, and I'm interested in constitutional law and international human rights law (particularly rule of law initiatives). As much as I'd love working in some UN agencies dealing with ROL promotion, I recognize it's a very niche field. I'd be equally content with a variety of legal jobs in DC that allow me some level of involvement with policy.

That said, here's what I'm debating. It seems like RTK does have a great network for PI, but does it really rival that of YLS or HLS? Would NYU provide increased access to UN work? Is full tuition really a game changer in light of COAP from YLS?

And btw, I know that Yale is Yale.

Bronze

Re: Yale v. Harvard v. NYU (RTK)

Post by 02889 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Congrats on great options! I think niche PI, particularly when it means creating opportunities for yourself where they might not already exist, is one of the areas where Yale's strengths really come out. NYU with little debt is a fantastic outcome, but I think you'll be in the best position to realize your goals at YLS. Good luck on a hard decision!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:10 pm

02889 wrote:Congrats on great options! I think niche PI, particularly when it means creating opportunities for yourself where they might not already exist, is one of the areas where Yale's strengths really come out. NYU with little debt is a fantastic outcome, but I think you'll be in the best position to realize your goals at YLS. Good luck on a hard decision!
FYI, 02889 is also an RTK candidate :wink:

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:13 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
02889 wrote:Congrats on great options! I think niche PI, particularly when it means creating opportunities for yourself where they might not already exist, is one of the areas where Yale's strengths really come out. NYU with little debt is a fantastic outcome, but I think you'll be in the best position to realize your goals at YLS. Good luck on a hard decision!
My scheming is revealed!

I do believe that OP's career goals can be met by an education at both NYU and YLS, but the flexibility to craft a path where there isn't one, in something like international rule of law, is significantly more likely to be found after attending YLS.

(edit) My own interests mostly involve direct legal services, and so the choice between YLS and NYU for free (as if I have anything close to that) would sway me more towards NYU since placement in that field is less prestige-dependent and having little debt would be very freeing. That said, working with the UN on rule of law development is so dramatically different than direct legal services that I think prestige is what you want to aim for here, OP.
Last edited by 02889 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:15 pm

02889 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
My scheming is revealed!

I do believe that OP's career goals can be met by an education at both NYU and YLS, but the flexibility to craft a path where there isn't one, in something like international rule of law, is significantly more likely to be found after attending YLS.
I agree, wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

But there's too many of these presumptuous threads being made when these people haven't even had the interview yet. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:21 pm

My sense is that the RTK will put you in as good a position as anything if you want to do things like civil legal services, public defense, maybe criminal/prison reform kind of stuff, impact litigation or ACLU-type work, things like that. For the kind of rarified thing you're looking at I do think Yale has a tangible advantage (though some NYU grads have certainly done these sorts of jobs).

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:24 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:My sense is that the RTK will put you in as good a position as anything if you want to do things like civil legal services, public defense, maybe criminal/prison reform kind of stuff, impact litigation or ACLU-type work, things like that. For the kind of rarified thing you're looking at I do think Yale has a tangible advantage (though some NYU grads have certainly done these sorts of jobs).

Bronze

Post by 02889 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:36 pm

One resource for you to look at when considering immediate career outcomes from NYU is their list of recent graduate placement, available here: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... /index.htm

You'll see that of 85 or so 2011 grads heading directly into PI, 6 did international work, including:

Arthur Helton Global Human Rights Fellowship, Bureau des Avocats Internationaux (International Lawyers Bureau), Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Arthur Helton Global Human Rights Fellowship, Lawyers Association for the Human Rights of Nepalese Indigenous Peoples (LAHURNIP), Nepal
Human Rights Law Foundation, Connie Smead Fellowship, Washington, D.C.
Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti, Boston, MA
NYU School of Law Human Rights Watch Fellowship, New York, NY
OXFAM America, Washington, D.C.
Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights, Donald M. Wilson Fellowship, New York, NY
The Warnath Group, Washington, D.C.

bayark

New

Post by bayark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:40 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
02889 wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
My scheming is revealed!

I agree, wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

But there's too many of these presumptuous threads being made when these people haven't even had the interview yet. :?
I completely understand how presumptuous these can come across, but RTK gives you three days to accept. That is not enough time to go through an entire decision process, and NYU sticker is completely different from RTK, so it's important to have considered it as a real option.

And I'll take that good point on flexibility at face value, 02889!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 pm

OP, it doesn't sound like this applies to you, but I just want to alert any RTK offerees that might stumble upon this thread that they do not need to withdraw apps for which they have not yet received decisions in order to accept the RTK, regardless of what NYU says. See: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:37 am

Yale

risa

Bronze

Post by risa » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am

Last edited by risa on Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:05 pm

risa wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:OP, it doesn't sound like this applies to you, but I just want to alert any RTK offerees that might stumble upon this thread that they do not need to withdraw apps for which they have not yet received decisions in order to accept the RTK, regardless of what NYU says. See: http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... rency.aspx.
I'm quite belated to this conversation, but just read this post and wanted to point out that the RTK contracts NYU emailed to all interview invitees in advance do not say you need to withdraw applications for which you have not yet received a decision - only those from which you have gotten an offer. Not sure if they asked that in the past, but to NYU's defense, they are not trying to "trick" anyone into withdrawing pending applications this year at least.

OP - Have you made your decision?
Glad to see they've changed the contract language.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”