LRAP Comparison Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bsinoff

New

LRAP Comparison

Post by bsinoff » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:13 pm

So I am looking to decide between Columbia, NYU, Berkeley, and Georgetown (with money). A major factor is going to be the LRAPs at these different schools. I know there is a really awesome thread out there that describes the LRAPs in detail for all T14 schools; however it is from 2009 and I know that at the very least NYU has made very significant updates to its LRAP.

I desperately need help because so much of the information I am reading is conflicting. If anyone can answer these questions for my listed schools (and others for everyone's general benefit) it would be greatly appreciated.

1. How hard is it to qualify for this schools LRAP?

2. How hard is it to stay eligible?

3. How long do you need to commit to public interest to receive benefits?

4. How long before you get your loans totally forgiven/repaid?

5. What is the salary cap (i.e. how much money can I make before a significant amount of it is sent towards loan payments)?

6. What is my annual contribution?

I am sure that there are a number of other questions that might be asked about these programs so please ask (and answer) away!

I really need to know as much info as possible as soon as possible (deadlines are approaching!) and I would love to make an informed decision when I choose schools. If you have any other info about the schools I listed surrounding public interest specifically criminal programs I would love to hear it just to get a better picture.

Thanks for the help!

Jacq2212

Bronze

Re: LRAP Comparison

Post by Jacq2212 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Glad you posted this, wish there were answers, I'm trying to find clarification on LRAPs as well!

bsinoff

New

Post by bsinoff » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:41 pm

No one is answering and I feel like it is a super important question to a lot of people!

Thanks for bumping the thread though!

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:43 pm

pretty sure the answer to 3 & 4 is almost always going to be 10 years. Difficulty in getting jobs that qualify, I think depends more on the job you want than anything else (probably easier to get a small town DA job than start out working for the ACLU in NYC)

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:50 pm

Isn't all of this information on the school's websites? I just googled "NYU lrap" and the first result was NYU's page about LRAP and it's pretty extensive. Have you tried googling?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 pm

1. Every school lists all the details of their LRAP on their website. If there's any doubt, you can email or phone questions to the financial aid office.

2. Read all of these terms thoroughly, and summarize each school's LRAP, highlighting important features, perhaps making a chart of needed features. No one else has apparently done this recently, so you'll have to do the hard work yourself.

3. ?????

4. Profit!!

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:40 pm

All of these schools have LRAPs linked to federal public service loan forgiveness and IBR so they're all similarly limited. The only schools worth going to because of LRAP are HYS because they're the only schools with meaningful programs that aren't linked to IBR.

bsinoff

New

Post by bsinoff » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 pm

That is kind of what I figured, and luckily I don't have the issue of being admitted to HYS... thank god...

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:51 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”