UVA (75k) v. Chicago (30k) v. Cornell [Updated Poll] Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Chicago (30k)
30%
UVA (75k)
34%
Berkeley (Sticker as of now)
2%
Cornell (120k)
34%

Total votes: 44

RSterling

Bronze

UVA (75k) v. Chicago (30k) v. Cornell [Updated Poll]

Post by RSterling » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:08 am

I'm curious as to how much money people are willing to forego for T6.

A little background: I have little to no interest in NYC. I'm interested in clerking and then working for a firm either in DC or on the West Coast. I probably won't want to work for a firm forever and would ideally like to transition to fedgov after some time.

ETA: I put Berkeley on the poll in case someone feels real strongly about needing to go there for West Coast, but it's obviously not the best option (imo).

Update: I decided to add Cornell into the mix to see if anyone felt like this was a better option. I'm trying to avoid NYC, and Cornell doesn't really seem that national.
Last edited by RSterling on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Re: UVA (75k) v. Chicago (30k) [Poll]

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am

I would go for UVA... please, don't take berkeley. the state of california sucks and its getting worse. You're better off on the east coast.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am

Did Berkeley turn you down for matching the UVA offer or have you not tried it yet? If you really were set on West Coast, Berkeley matching UVA would be the best choice, but if you'd rather gun for DC, take UVA and never look back.

Which do you want more?

Edit: Dre, when did Berkeley get added to your shit list? It used to be just UCI...look out Stanford, Dre is coming for you next.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

Berkeley will at least match the others, so need to fix your poll.

For 'clerking' the clear edge is to Chicago, with Cal next.

For DC, the clear edge to UVa.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 am

matthewsean85 wrote: Edit: Dre, when did Berkeley get added to your shit list? It used to be just UCI...look out Stanford, Dre is coming for you next.
nah. Berkeley's a good school obviously. I'm just saying that OP shouldn't go to California because California sucks. east coast > west coast.

nothing to do with the law schools there, except, as you already know, TTTT's (uci)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:11 pm

I haven't applied for Berkeley matching aid yet. I don't think that application is available yet?

I don't think Berkeley matching is a lock. From previous cycles, they seem pretty selective about what they match.

I lean towards the West Coast, so I would likely take Berkeley if they matched. And when I say West Coast, I'm much more keen on finding my way to Portland/Seattle (I have ties there), but I'd strongly consider CA if that was my only west coast option.

As far as UVA v. Chi, I think I'd like UVA better overally in terms of the atmosphere and student culture. Nothing against, Chicago, but I'm still not convinced that Chi students aren't intense shut-ins compared to other student bodies.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Big Dog wrote:Berkeley will at least match the others, so need to fix your poll.

Clear edge? Chicago is no better than the other non-HYS T14 at getting clerkships . . .

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote: Edit: Dre, when did Berkeley get added to your shit list? It used to be just UCI...look out Stanford, Dre is coming for you next.
nah. Berkeley's a good school obviously. I'm just saying that OP shouldn't go to California because California sucks. east coast > west coast.

nothing to do with the law schools there, except, as you already know, TTTT's (uci)
Damn, you're turning into one of the most insufferable anti-WC trolls on here aren't you?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

Also, Berkeley is literally a shithole. Come to HP :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Big Dog wrote:Berkeley will at least match the others, so need to fix your poll.

Berkeley does not auto match, it doesn't work that way

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:19 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote: Also, Berkeley is literally a shithole.
This is true. The campus smells like urine, there are bums galore, and it's expen$sive.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Bronck wrote:
Damn, you're turning into one of the most insufferable anti-WC trolls on here aren't you?
Nope. Just want to want to make clear that the west coast is not that great as people put it out to be. (it sucks)

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 pm

That 75k is more than 75k when COA is factored in. You might be talking as much as a 60-75k difference between the two when that is factored in.

That's a lot of monopoly money.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 pm

Have you tried negotiating with UVA yet? If your numbers or app got $ out of C, seems like you could get more out of V.

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

jym_dawg wrote:Have you tried negotiating with UVA yet? If your numbers or app got $ out of C, seems like you could get more out of V.
I'd previously tried to negotiate using the 120k I received from Cornell and was told to call again towards the end of March. I'll probably just call them then and bring up the Chicago $ as well.

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 am

I'll be honest, I wasn't really expecting the results to be leaning this far towards Chicago. Can some of those who voted Chicago explain their reasoning? I wasn't really feeling that Chi is worth and extra 45k plus extra COL. If it matters, I greatly prefer the (perceived) culture at UVA than at Chi.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 pm

The perceived cultures are overblown (at any school, imo. most T14 schools are going to have the same type of students). This is precisely the type of decision that should be made at ASWs. Go with your gut.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RSterling

Bronze

Re: UVA (75k) v. Chicago (30k) v. Cornell [Updated Poll]

Post by RSterling » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:31 pm

Updated the poll to reflect the $ I received for Cornell. Would love to hear if that changes anyone's view one way of the other.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm

I voted for Cornell. Too much money to pass up IMO. Unless UVA would offer more money.
Dr. Dre wrote:I would go for UVA... please, don't take berkeley. the state of california sucks and its getting worse. You're better off on the east coast.
This as well.

envisciguy

Bronze

Post by envisciguy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:26 pm

RSterling wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:Have you tried negotiating with UVA yet? If your numbers or app got $ out of C, seems like you could get more out of V.
I'd previously tried to negotiate using the 120k I received from Cornell and was told to call again towards the end of March. I'll probably just call them then and bring up the Chicago $ as well.
UVA might be open to negotiating based on the Cornell money - $120k is a lot. I seriously doubt that they'll care about the $30k from Chicago though. They're peer schools and the way UVA will see it, they're giving you a much better deal. Not saying it's not possible, just wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference. From my (albeit limited) understanding, you're going to need a higher offer from a peer school (Cornell's offer might count) to get some results.

I'd put it between UVA and Cornell. That would be a lot of money to pass up at Cornell (though their tuition is one of the highest in the T14).

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:30 pm

envisciguy wrote:
RSterling wrote:
UVA might be open to negotiating based on the Cornell money - $120k is a lot. I seriously doubt that they'll care about the $30k from Chicago though. They're peer schools and the way UVA will see it, they're giving you a much better deal. Not saying it's not possible, just wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference. From my (albeit limited) understanding, you're going to need a higher offer from a peer school (Cornell's offer might count) to get some results.

I'd put it between UVA and Cornell. That would be a lot of money to pass up at Cornell (though their tuition is one of the highest in the T14).
Problem is, OP sounds like he doesn't want to be in NYC.

It's a moot point because UVA will probably cut at least partially match Cornell's offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:41 pm

I have visited Chicago before. There is something about that place that irked me the wrong way. My gut told me to run as far away as possible. I had a weird feeling when I visited.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:38 am

Cornell. Too much money to ignore.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:59 am

RSterling wrote:Updated the poll to reflect the $ I received for Cornell. Would love to hear if that changes anyone's view one way of the other.
See if you can get more out of UVA. If they can get into the 100k+ range, I think I'd take UVA. As of now, I'd say Cornell.

Chicago is simply too much debt. 30k is a drop in the bucket when we're talking about 250k+.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:This is precisely the type of decision that should be made at ASWs. Go with your gut.
This.

Personally, I would probably pay an extra $45K for Chicago over UVA, but I also think personal preference based on intangibles is worth quite a lot. For example, if you were deciding between two peer schools (say UChi and CLS), had a much better feeling about CLS but it was going to cost $30K more to attend, I'd still take CLS in a heartbeat. Similarly, to the extent that "tiers" between T-14 schools are a thing, if you were deciding between a CCN school and one of MVP at the same price but really liked the MVP school better, that wouldn't be a crazy choice.

Definitely try to negotiate with both Chicago and UVA though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”