Which school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school

UVA with 90,000
33%
NYU- with 60,00
14%
Chicago with 60,000
50%
Columbia with none (emailed and they told me they won't match
3%

Total votes: 175

jvincent11

Bronze

Re: Which school?

Post by jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:30 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Is Chicago really significantly better than nyu
No.
In NYC, no, nationally, yes
Significantly? No, I really don't think it is.
What do you consider significant? On a national level, you will have better job prospects coming out of Chicago than NYU, perhaps even in NYC. I consider that significant.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:39 pm

jvincent11 wrote:What do you consider significant? On a national level, you will have better job prospects coming out of Chicago than NYU, perhaps even in NYC. I consider that significant.
The job prospects are going to be nearly identical for most people. I consider that insignificant. I don't really buy the conventional TLS notion that Chicago is a powerhouse at placing people in non-NYC or Chicago markets. Meanwhile, I know firsthand that NYU has served a lot of people well in non-NYC markets, even people who are not near the top of the class and don't have compelling reasons to be in those markets. So no, I really don't believe that Chicago is "significantly better" than NYU in any sense except perhaps clerkship and academia opportunities, where there might be a 5-10% margin. There is a lot of bullshit spewed on this topic but this is the truth as far as I can tell.

jvincent11

Bronze

Post by jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:48 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
jvincent11 wrote:What do you consider significant? On a national level, you will have better job prospects coming out of Chicago than NYU, perhaps even in NYC. I consider that significant.
The job prospects are going to be nearly identical for most people. I consider that insignificant. I don't really buy the conventional TLS notion that Chicago is a powerhouse at placing people in non-NYC or Chicago markets. Meanwhile, I know firsthand that NYU has served a lot of people well in non-NYC markets, even people who are not near the top of the class and don't have compelling reasons to be in those markets. So no, I really don't believe that Chicago is "significantly better" than NYU in any sense except perhaps clerkship and academia opportunities, where there might be a 5-10% margin. There is a lot of bullshit spewed on this topic but this is the truth as far as I can tell.
Your firsthand evidence may not be what is actually true. Also, companies other than law firms do not know law school rankings and equate the law school with the undergrad institution. So if you ever want to leave a law firm and go to another company, prestige is much more important than rank. NYU undergrad is the least prestigious out of any T14.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:50 pm

jvincent11 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Your firsthand evidence may not be what is actually true. Also, companies other than law firms do not know law school rankings and equate the law school with the undergrad institution. So if you ever want to leave a law firm and go to another company, prestige is much more important than rank. NYU undergrad is the least prestigious out of any T14.
Cool dude, good luck.

jvincent11

Bronze

Post by jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:07 pm

To clarify, it goes without saying that NYU is an amazing school, especially for NYC. I just think that if you want to work in any other market, you are better off at Chicago or taking $$ at a lower T14 i.e. 30K more at UVA in this situation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Happiness and quality of life is very important to me. Is there big difference between nyu and UVA in this?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:26 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Happiness and quality of life is very important to me. Is there big difference between nyu and UVA in this?
Dude, no one can answer that for you.

Everyone seemed really happy at NYU when I was there, but maybe they're the kind of happy people that annoy you. Or maybe you hate huge cities. Visit! Decide on the subjective things for yourself. The only things we can help you with are providing more info for empirical claims like hiring data.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:28 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Happiness and quality of life is very important to me. Is there big difference between nyu and UVA in this?
Again, I really don't think there's going to be a big difference in the students. You'll be able to find people you like at either school. To me, the big difference in QOL between those two is whether you prefer big cities or not.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Totally depends on what you want. You said UVA feels like home. That's a big deal. I would prefer NYC because I liked the city and all that comes with it. I've also never visited Charlottesville so I have no idea what it's like there. I do know that everyone I know who goes there has enjoyed it immensely. It's definitely a personal thing. If this is what it comes down to you, visit both or if that's not an option, figure out if you think you'd enjoy NYC over C-Ville.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Don't make assumptions about quality of life. Go visit the schools.

I really thought I'd love Boalt and be super happy there, but ended up not feeling it at all on my visit. Based on its reputation I thought I'd hate UChi, but I ended up being very pleasantly surprised when I visited. I've had 3 really good years here with a great quality of life.

BerkeleyBear

Bronze

Post by BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:36 pm

bk187 wrote:If you absolutely want DC I'd probably lean towards UChi but I honestly think it's close to a tossup between UChi and UVA.

UtilityMonster

Bronze

Post by UtilityMonster » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:34 pm

Mmk you need to negotiate scholarships between schools further. Let NYU and Chicago know that you are torn, just torn I tell you, between the two schools and have the exact same scholarship at each, and that if one school would just give you a bit more, say $20k, you'll go.

UVA is a solid choice as well, but I have problems with its YP stuff, its gross manipulation of employment statistics, and its conservative faculty/student body. But that is just me. Charlottesville is lovely, I hear, and if you enjoy drinking/partying/loud music, it is the best among the top schools for that.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:00 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Mmk you need to negotiate scholarships between schools further. Let NYU and Chicago know that you are torn, just torn I tell you, between the two schools and have the exact same scholarship at each, and that if one school would just give you a bit more, say $20k, you'll go.

UVA is a solid choice as well, but I have problems with its YP stuff, its gross manipulation of employment statistics, and its conservative faculty/student body. But that is just me. Charlottesville is lovely, I hear, and if you enjoy drinking/partying/loud music, it is the best among the top schools for that.
Man I love Charlottesville!

I will say this, people do over emphasize the fratty-ness of UVA. I came here with my SO and we go to many events and often times I wont drink or will have one beer or something. I dont really get drunk (except for a couple times like Dandillion) and I have really enjoyed my time. Couple people in my section have never had a drop of alcohol but sure seem to have drank the UVA kool-aid.

So dont think that because you arent fratty (I am not) or you dont like to drink (a lot of people dont) you wont enjoy UVA. I have yet to meet someone who didnt think UVA was a great place to be.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Emma. wrote:
Don't make assumptions about quality of life. Go visit the schools.

I really thought I'd love Boalt and be super happy there, but ended up not feeling it at all on my visit. Based on its reputation I thought I'd hate UChi, but I ended up being very pleasantly surprised when I visited. I've had 3 really good years here with a great quality of life.
I hate to do this, but I completely agree with you. Everyone is into something different. Really just go and get a feel for each and see which one you think you will enjoy more. That is whats really important. I just think it should be considered because its 3 years of your life, and you ought to have fun even in law school (except the 2 weeks before and during finals) lol

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Ive visited both and like them each for different things. Such a hard choice

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:37 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:Ive visited both and like them each for different things. Such a hard choice
Good luck, bro. If you like both, go where you're gonna get the job you want. You're really not going to make a wrong decision.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:38 pm

If you want to work at UVa, UVa is the clear choice here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Kronk wrote:If you want to work at UVa, UVa is the clear choice here.
lol

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:41 pm

LRGhost wrote:
lol

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm

:lol:

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:10 pm

florida1949 wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:Personally, I'd be inclined to go UVA. Gotta factor in the high COL in big cities.
FWIW, Chicago has a surprisingly low COL, the difference between Charlottesville and Chicago is pretty small.
Lived in Chicago my entire life payed rent there 4yrs. I completely agree with this. Chicago esp. the southside can be super cheap.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Chicago. 30K isn't enough of a delta to move to dixie over chicago or nyc

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:45 am

What are the main differences between chicago and nyu

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:51 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What are the main differences between chicago and nyu
Slight faux PI-angle at NYU (more PI support over summers though), otherwise just geography / nothing substantial.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 pm

Kronk wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:What are the main differences between chicago and nyu
more PI support over summers
What's the summer stipend for PI at NYU?

OP, I'd say Chicago has a slight edge with firm hiring, especially some of the super preftigious firms and boutiques, probably a slight edge placing in academia and clerkships, and a lower cost of living. Apart from that you should really just visit and get a sense of both schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”