What COA would you be okay with for Chicago? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What COA would you be okay with for Chicago?

$0
4%
$40,000
1%
$60,000
3%
$80,000
10%
$100,000
17%
$150,000
34%
>$200,000
31%

Total votes: 121

Crowing

Gold

Re: What COA would you be okay with for Chicago?

Post by Crowing » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:43 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
john7234797 wrote:
What are your qualifications on discussing Boutique Law Firm hiring Mr. I'm upset if someone implies HYS is better than my T10?
I dont go to Chicago. There are many schools better than my T10 but I am a law student who knows how firm hiring actually works and isnt just pulling facts from the air based on what I have seen on TV. I also received multiple SA offers and have actually researched firms. I wish MODs were more strict on these threads, 0Ls who seem to be making stuff up as they go should be banned to only viewing forms unless they have a question about admissions.

Please quit trying to talk about "boutiques" or at least show me one (all I want is ONE) that says or appears to only hire from those 3 schools. And no, it cant be 2 dudes who have a shingle that went to H
Pearson Hardman bro

Stinson

Bronze

Post by Stinson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm

Regarding Yale and Harvard's (and probably Stanford's, I'm not familiar) school funded employment, at HLS there is a very sizable pool of school money available for fellowships people starting out in PI, as most PI organizations cannot afford to take on a new attorney that doesn't know the ropes and train him or her. Obviously there are things like Skadden fellowships for situations like that, but the school offers its own to give its grads a leg up. I would imagine Yale is similar. (Outside the named fellowships HLS also just started something called the Public Service Venture Fund, which is $1 million or so per year of grants for which anyone wanting to work in public service can apply.)

I knew people coming in that were aiming at those fellowships from day one because they wanted to break into PI and that's pretty hard to do with public hiring the way it is right now. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm just throwing it out there that these are not, in the main, school funded positions that pad the employment numbers of people who strike out at OCI; many of the individuals who go after them forego EIP at HLS. (There's even a student group at HLS composed of people who forego EIP to show their PI solidarity or some such thing.) At YLS I would think there are probably even more that do.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Crowing wrote:
john7234797 wrote:
What are your qualifications on discussing Boutique Law Firm hiring Mr. I'm upset if someone implies HYS is better than my T10?
I dont go to Chicago. There are many schools better than my T10 but I am a law student who knows how firm hiring actually works and isnt just pulling facts from the air based on what I have seen on TV. I also received multiple SA offers and have actually researched firms. I wish MODs were more strict on these threads, 0Ls who seem to be making stuff up as they go should be banned to only viewing forms unless they have a question about admissions.

Please quit trying to talk about "boutiques" or at least show me one (all I want is ONE) that says or appears to only hire from those 3 schools. And no, it cant be 2 dudes who have a shingle that went to H
Pearson Hardman bro
Hahahah this is why I thought the original comment came from watching TV. I love Suits as much as the next law student, but please know it is not realistic lol

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote: In my opinion it is crazy to say that the #4/5 school in the country is not worth sticker.
When does it stop being worth sticker?
Thats hard. I think the cut is probably Cornell... but I am not positive about Duke and dont think Gtown is a great bet at sticker since its so big and in a hard market. I think that MVPB and up are a solid decision at sticker as long as you care more about practicing law than getting rich. Even if you dont land Biglaw you can get something that is at least decent (Fed. gov, etc) and most have a solid LRAP. Sometimes you have to take a chance on yourself. I would rather strike out having gone to the best school I got into than strike out at a lower school and wonder what if...
I didn't word my question very well. At what price do you say even Chicago, as the 4th or 5th ranked school in the country, is not worth sticker anymore?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Crowing wrote:
john7234797 wrote:

Pearson Hardman bro
Hahahah this is why I thought the original comment came from watching TV. I love Suits as much as the next law student, but please know it is not realistic lol
I know I said I would stop posting but I have a tendency to not be able to learn to shut the fuck up.. so I'll just say I have never seen that show. My post was 100 % speculative as a reason for why HYS have similar big law placement as lower ranked schools. Clearly, people more in the know who have gone through OCI have revealed that was wrong. I'm sorry if you think I should be banned (it would be for my own good probably). Hope I didn't piss anyone off too bad or overstep my boundaries.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote: In my opinion it is crazy to say that the #4/5 school in the country is not worth sticker.
Thats hard. I think the cut is probably Cornell... but I am not positive about Duke and dont think Gtown is a great bet at sticker since its so big and in a hard market. I think that MVPB and up are a solid decision at sticker as long as you care more about practicing law than getting rich. Even if you dont land Biglaw you can get something that is at least decent (Fed. gov, etc) and most have a solid LRAP. Sometimes you have to take a chance on yourself. I would rather strike out having gone to the best school I got into than strike out at a lower school and wonder what if...
I didn't word my question very well. At what price do you say even Chicago, as the 4th or 5th ranked school in the country, is not worth sticker anymore?
No idea. I would be hard pressed to justify anyone coming out of any school with 300k in loans thats for sure. But this is a hard question. I personally wouldnt go to school where I would come out with over 200k, but thats just because its a nice round number I can (for no real reason) justify. Luckily with my 1L SA positions and SO working I will only be 150k in debt, which is still a shitton. I dont think 210k is completely unreasonable. I think sticker from UChi is like that, 235ish with interest? That is getting up there...

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:43 pm

Any T14 school: 130k or less
Any T1 school: 100k or less
Any TT school: 75k or less
Any TTT school: 50k or less
Any TTTT school: 25k or less (in other words, no)

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:39 am

Presidentjlh wrote:Any T14 school: 130k or less
Glad to see you just randomly made up those numbers. If this were the case almost everyone at T10 schools would be making a bad decision (which you may think is the case)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:45 am

Glad to see you just randomly made up those numbers. If this were the case almost everyone at T10 schools would be making a bad decision (which you may think is the case)
Stanford isn't worth $150k but Stetson is worth $50k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Stanford isn't worth $150k but Stetson is worth $50k.
:lol:

Dr. Gaius Baltar

New

Post by Dr. Gaius Baltar » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 pm

So the Vault description of Chicago states that, "The school forbids potential employers from screening for interviews by rank, which gives every student a chance to interview for top firms."

I wonder if the firms find ways to circumvent this and hire above median anyway (e.g. requiring rank to be placed on resumes once students have secured interviews).

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:02 pm

Dr. Gaius Baltar wrote:So the Vault description of Chicago states that, "The school forbids potential employers from screening for interviews by rank, which gives every student a chance to interview for top firms."

I wonder if the firms find ways to circumvent this and hire above median anyway (e.g. requiring rank to be placed on resumes once students have secured interviews).
You have to provide your transcripts during OCI interviews. The policy you quoted just prevents pre-screening and at least gets you a chance to talk with someone. Many firms still give callbacks to students with below median GPAs, and this might be in part a testament to those students ability to hustle once they actually get to sit down with an interviewer. If they were pre-screened, they might not get that chance.

kingjones59

Bronze

Post by kingjones59 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

You guys obviously aren't up to date with the ongoings of the powerhouse lawfirm of manhattan
john7234797 wrote:
Pearson Hardman bro

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 am

Mine would be
Any YLS: 130k or less
Any T3 school: 100k or less
Any T6 school: 75k or less
Any T13 school: 50k or less
Any T18 school: 25k or less
Anything thing else: Free

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Have to LOL a little bit at someone paying sticker at UVA equivocating about paying sticker at Cornell or Duke. UVA's NLJ 250 placement has been about the same as, or in some cases worse than, Cornell and Duke for the past two years. I think the problem is that your thinking has been heavily influenced by the silly tiers we use on TLS (CCN, MVPB, DCNG)....those tiers are about how difficult it is to get into a school, not how well it places.

Cornell's LSAT medians have lagged the rest of the T14 for awhile (I think it is down to 167?) but due to its proximity to NYC, it places better than one would expect based on the difficulty of gaining admission. Penn has shown over the past several years that it is not a placement pier of VMB. UMich has lagged that group and recently has also lagged much of DCNG.

Presidentjlh

Silver

Post by Presidentjlh » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:51 pm

I was just giving my personal gut reaction if I looked at debt.

Dr. Gaius Baltar

New

Post by Dr. Gaius Baltar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:04 pm

Has anyone successfully negotiated aid with Chicago?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”