Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCI full ride or UCB no money?

UCI
30%
UCB
70%

Total votes: 150

bk1

Diamond

Re: Irvine full scholarship or Berkeley no scholarship

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:1L and 2L firms and clerkships for 2010-12 listed on their website.

http://www.law.uci.edu/career_dev/past_placements.html
1Ls and 2Ls don't do clerkships.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:1L and 2L firms and clerkships for 2010-12 listed on their website.

Awesome list, thanks

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:39 pm

bk187 wrote:

You are right - but it does list judicial placements. It also lists public interest placements.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:51 pm

99.9luft wrote:
thank you, this is great info! UCI's OCI firms are increasing in number each year, but also good to hear that not relying on OCI can actually yield good results. Also curious about how many of these offers actually became jobs, but the data on that is limited (we will know the inaugural class's employment data soon, but i really wanna know that of larger classes). Will wait and see i guess.
Hmm, I remember hearing the inaugural numbers, but I stupidly forget what they were. I remember thinking it was pretty good. I wish I had more info in that arena. You could try calling career services or admissions to see if they have any data on that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:13 pm

uci2013 wrote:You are right - but it does list judicial placements. It also lists public interest placements.
People might have misread the clerkships comment. Not to mention that neither summer PI nor judicial jobs are tough to get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Region-wise, realistically, where do/will UCI students end up in general?

I see it's a surprisingly broad distribution from that listing of employers, but did those people have strong ties there beforehand?

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 am

uci2013 wrote:
bk187 wrote:

You are right - but it does list judicial placements. It also lists public interest placements.
oops. 0L mistake. I will edit my post to say judicial placements.

What's the correct term. Internships since still in school?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:01 am

Golden Bear 11 wrote:You're a URM with a 3.7 and 166. I might be wrong but you should have some better options than Berk at sticker v. Irvine....

right?
This! Unless his essays suck - and especially during the current cycles, this "URM" should be looking at nothing but top-10 schools with money from each school. I have seen URM's with slightly lower numbers do that well during the more competitive years (2003-2011).

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:05 am

I thought OP was a girl but not positive

and he/she is persian. so not URM. on page 2 if u want to see

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 am

99.9luft wrote:TLS elitism at its best...what's probably going to be a top-30 school in its debut ranking year is now apparently a TTT. Beyond idiotic.
I agree! I also call BS on this dude Dr. Dre and his stats.

Message to Dr. Dre: Meet PDaddy Dre! He is the ultimate contrarian, welcomes all challenges, kicks ass and takes no prisoners, and can't stand phonies.

Yeah...if Dr. Dre thinks he's direct, he can come take a bite out of me. I smell a phony!

And fwiw, Dre doesn't know a thing about Irvine, or does he? His attitude screams "Irvine reject!".

Dr. Dre needs to fess up as to why he hates UC-Irvine so much.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 am

i don't fully understand the hate for UCI. if you go into it with your eyes wide open, with all the facts about job placement in front of you, and it is in line with your career aspirations/financial condition, it can be a fine choice.

one thing i am tired of hearing about, however, is its potential top 20-30 ranking. who the fuck cares? employers do not hire based on those rankings; pay attention to the stats that matter. davis was ranked 23 like two years ago and it barely places 10% of its students into biglaw (pretty sure it was single digit placement for c/o 2012). also, though people may be overly harsh, all potential students need to understand the risks of attending UCI. when the class size increases (and the quality of the student body falls slightly), their placement will likely be even lower than it was for its first class(es). i'd estimate they will place between hastings/davis and usc/ucla, but perhaps closer to the former for the next couple of years until the economy gets better and they establish some kind of reputation.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:06 am

when will UCI get ranked? Just curious what year (will it be 2014 or 2015).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 am

PDaddy wrote: Dr. Dre needs to fess up as to why he hates UC-Irvine so much.
I don't "hate" uci, I'm just anti-uci. i don't see anything wrong in being anti any TTTT.

and, to make you happy, i still think uci is better than other schools.... like here and here

oh, and I appreciate your message, but I prefer this one

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:00 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
PDaddy wrote: Dr. Dre needs to fess up as to why he hates UC-Irvine so much.
I don't "hate" uci, I'm just anti-uci. i don't see anything wrong in being anti any TTTT.

and, to make you happy, i still think uci is better than other schools.... like here and here

oh, and I appreciate your message, but I prefer this one
You have been called out by Mr. Controversy himself, and you can't come stronger than that? What happened to TLS while I was gone?! It used to be such a battle field, where people got mad...deeply insulted...got their feelings hurt 'n shit. Lol. You call somebody out now and they try to be your friend 'n shit. Wassup? Lol. And what Dre just did was "friendly".

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 am

PDaddy wrote: You have been called out by Mr. Controversy himself, and you can't come stronger than that? What happened to TLS while I was gone?! It used to be such a battle field, where people got mad...deeply insulted...got their feelings hurt 'n shit. Lol. You call somebody out now and they try to be your friend 'n shit. Wassup? Lol. And what Dre just did was "friendly".
LOL!

Mr. Controversy? What a shiTTTT name.

goes well with your "call ouTTTTs"

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 am

99.9luft wrote: In all seriousness, can you please talk about the OCI - how many people landed LA jobs (non-OC), many of us are curious.
Another followup. Today Dean Chemerinsky hosted his biweekly coffee with the Dean. I asked for more specifics on job placements. He said of the 56 who graduated in May (some of the original class were pursuing a joint JD/MBA and graduate this year), as of 2/15, UCI reported to the ABA that 51 have FT legal jobs (92.7%). What does not get reported: Of the 5 who were not placed, 2 are pursuing advanced degrees - one an MBA and one a PhD. 2 accepted FT legal employment since 2/15 when the data was submitted to the ABA. And the one student still looking did not take the bar in July with the rest of the class because of a family emergency and only started looking after taking the February bar a couple of weeks ago. So the unofficial numbers as of now are 53 of 56 employed FT, or 94.6%.

I asked Dean Chemerinsky how our class was doing as compared to the inaugural class the same time last year. He believes we are tracking about the same, but said they don't have actual data based on timing of finding employment. There is some hiring happening now and there also tends to be a lot of hiring post-bar for those who don't find something before then.
Last edited by uci2013 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 am

I'm liking UCI more than UCLA at this rate

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 am

uci2013 wrote:
99.9luft wrote: In all seriousness, can you please talk about the OCI - how many people landed LA jobs (non-OC), many of us are curious.
Another followup. Today Dean Chemerinsky hosted his biweekly coffee with the Dean. I asked for more specifics on job placements. He said of the 56 who graduated in May (some of the original class were pursuing a joint JD/MBA and graduate this year), as of 2/15, UCI reported to the ABA that 51 have FT legal jobs (92.7%). What does not get reported: Of the 5 who were nor placed, 2 are pursuing advanced degrees - one an MBA and one a PhD. 2 accepted FT legal employment since 2/15 when the data was submitted to the MBA. And the one student still looking did not take the bar in July with the rest of the class because of a family emergency and only started looking after taking the February bar a couple of weeks ago. So the unofficial numbers as of now are 53 of 56 employed FT, or 94.6%.

I asked Dean Chemerinsky how our class was doing as compared to the inaugural class the same time last year. He believes we are tracking about the same, but said they don't have actual data based on timing of finding employment. There is some hiring happening now and there also tends to be a lot of hiring post-bar for those who don't find something before then.
Thank you so much for this update - it really helps us (at least me) with our cycle's decisions, esp. since FT JD-required employability > rankings.

So let's recap the numbers for the inaugural class (correct me please):
56 total
~30 do OCI
13 get NLJ20 offers
53 get FT legal (is this JD-required or JD-preferred?) jobs

this is really good. UCI2013, I am assuming you are from the 2nd UCI class. Not sure if i asked you this... I heard that of 89 total in your class ~24 got offers at OCI (of 40 who participated). Does that sound right (ball-park).

Interesting...if this inaugural trend hold up for a class of 89 ppl, i certainly think it can be attainable for a class of 119 and this year's (120-130).

thanks again for clarifying this!

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 am

uci2013 wrote:I asked Dean Chemerinsky how our class was doing as compared to the inaugural class the same time last year. He believes we are tracking about the same, but said they don't have actual data based on timing of finding employment. There is some hiring happening now and there also tends to be a lot of hiring post-bar for those who don't find something before then.
Caveat here though is that law school deans have demonstrated a track record of saying/claiming whatever they feel they have to in order to retain their jobs, keep students/alumni happy. Beware that Chem has gotten infected w/ this bug too. UCI Law's his (and probably Drake's) pet project, after all.

sfhaze

Bronze

Post by sfhaze » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:24 am

Lasers wrote:when the class size increases (and the quality of the student body falls slightly), their placement will likely be even lower than it was for its first class(es). i'd estimate they will place between hastings/davis and usc/ucla, but perhaps closer to the former for the next couple of years until the economy gets better and they establish some kind of reputation.
Their placement should definitely fall as COA & class size increase. What's even the argument that they'll be closer to UCLA/USC than Hastings/Davis? Chem being there, I wonder? There's every reason to believe UCI Law will be basically the Hastings/Davis of Southern Cal.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
PDaddy wrote: You have been called out by Mr. Controversy himself, and you can't come stronger than that? What happened to TLS while I was gone?! It used to be such a battle field, where people got mad...deeply insulted...got their feelings hurt 'n shit. Lol. You call somebody out now and they try to be your friend 'n shit. Wassup? Lol. And what Dre just did was "friendly".
LOL!

Mr. Controversy? What a shiTTTT name.

goes well with your "call ouTTTTs"
I already forgot about you. I guess that makes you Mr. IrrelevanTTTT :wink:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 am

sfhaze wrote:What's even the argument that they'll be closer to UCLA/USC than Hastings/Davis? Chem being there, I wonder? There's every reason to believe UCI Law will be basically the Hastings/Davis of Southern Cal.
i'll give it a shot; these are the things that can make UCI be ranked between the two poles of UCLA/USC and UCD/UCH (and not past them): higher (assuming: sustained) clerkship rates, SoCal has a bigger legal job market than NorCal, higher faculty:student ratio (assuming UCI keeps hiring faculty in line with annual class size increases), higher median LSAT (this is definitely happening), smaller class size for the next several years (UCI is eventually supposed to be like UCD, i.e. ~200 but less than UCH) higher bar passage rate (i know this is based on the small inaugural class), and maybe even soft factors like a more cited/prominent/engaged faculty (http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_ ... pact.shtml), better location (UCH's neighborhood sucks and UCD is in a village). oh, almost forgot, UCI may also fundraise more aggressively from OC and other firms, so it may spend more $ per student than the other two UCs, i don't know the #s just speculating.

What will hurt UCI (at least initially) in terms of rankings will be the lack of an alumni base. The peer and attny/judges' review weighs heavily in the US news methodology though (by weight):

25% - Peers assessment
15% - Lawyers/Judges assessment
14% - job 9m out
12.5% - Median LSAT
10% - Median GPA
9.75% - $ spent per student
4% - job at graduation
3% - student/faculty ratio
2.5% - acceptance rate (UCI?, UCH 23%, UCD 24%)
2% - bar passage rate
3% - other (library,etc)

ETA: isn't US news changing this methodology for next year's ranking? if so, this may help UCI, assuming less weight will be given to the top two factors above.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm

99.9luft wrote:
sfhaze wrote:What's even the argument that they'll be closer to UCLA/USC than Hastings/Davis? Chem being there, I wonder? There's every reason to believe UCI Law will be basically the Hastings/Davis of Southern Cal.
i'll give it a shot; these are the things that can make UCI be ranked between the two poles of UCLA/USC and UCD/UCH (and not past them): higher (assuming: sustained) clerkship rates, SoCal has a bigger legal job market than NorCal, higher faculty:student ratio (assuming UCI keeps hiring faculty in line with annual class size increases), higher median LSAT (this is definitely happening), smaller class size for the next several years (UCI is eventually supposed to be like UCD, i.e. ~200 but less than UCH) higher bar passage rate (i know this is based on the small inaugural class), and maybe even soft factors like a more cited/prominent/engaged faculty (http://www.leiterrankings.com/new/2012_ ... pact.shtml), better location (UCH's neighborhood sucks and UCD is in a village). oh, almost forgot, UCI may also fundraise more aggressively from OC and other firms, so it may spend more $ per student than the other two UCs, i don't know the #s just speculating.

What will hurt UCI (at least initially) in terms of rankings will be the lack of an alumni base. The peer and attny/judges' review weighs heavily in the US news methodology though (by weight):

25% - Peers assessment
15% - Lawyers/Judges assessment
14% - job 9m out
12.5% - Median LSAT
10% - Median GPA
9.75% - $ spent per student
4% - job at graduation
3% - student/faculty ratio
2.5% - acceptance rate (UCI?, UCH 23%, UCD 24%)
2% - bar passage rate
3% - other (library,etc)

ETA: isn't US news changing this methodology for next year's ranking? if so, this may help UCI, assuming less weight will be given to the top two factors above.
Better location is subjective. Irvine sucks man.

Anyways, sfhaze was specifically discussing placement, not rankings (because rankings don't really matter).

From another thread re: c/o 2014 with 85 students, about 16% got firm offers out of OCI, and half the the students participating.

Adjusting for future, bigger class sizes - that's very similar to UCD/UCH placement.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:23 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote: Better location is subjective. Irvine sucks man.

Anyways, sfhaze was specifically discussing placement, not rankings (because rankings don't really matter).

From another thread re: c/o 2014 with 85 students, about 16% got firm offers out of OCI, and half the the students participating.

Adjusting for future, bigger class sizes - that's very similar to UCD/UCH placement.
location IS subjective, of course. UCI's law student housing - where most students live and which is guaranteed - is much nicer than the living situation near UCH/UCD. Also, UCI is closer to LA than UCD is to SF (for social outings, etc).

Wait, you mean class of 2013 with 85 students, right? class of 2014 has 89...

i swear it was higher than 16% in this thread i read...do you mind pointing me to your 16%?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm

99.9luft wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote: Better location is subjective. Irvine sucks man.

location IS subjective, of course. UCI's law student housing - where most students live and which is guaranteed - is much nicer than the living situation near UCH/UCD. Also, UCI is closer to LA than UCD is to SF (for social outings, etc).

Wait, you mean class of 2013 with 85 students, right? class of 2014 has 89...

i swear it was higher than 16% in this thread i read...do you mind pointing me to your 16%?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=204427

The guy said he was a 2L,but maybe he was talking about c/o 2013.

Also, accounting for traffic, the time saved travelling between UCD/SF and UCI/LA isn't THAT big lol

But I agree UCI's housing is nicer, based on what I've heard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”