UT over Chicago? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grapefruits

Bronze

UT over Chicago?

Post by grapefruits » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Would anyone do this? UT offered me close to full, and I'm guessing I could get full ride out of them. Nothing from Chicago, and I'm guessing they won't give me much if anything. If I can't get a clerkship, followed by a federal gov. job, I want to practice in Texas.

Incidentally, I've got $120,000 at Cornell and $75,000 at UVA, and I hate the cold.

banjo

Silver

Re: UT over Chicago?

Post by banjo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Why not just wait until Chicago sends you a financial aid offer and try to negotiate? Offers should be out this week, maybe next, based on last year's schedule.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 pm

Assuming Chicago gives you nothing or close to nothing, I'd probably take UT.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 pm

with sticker at Chicago and wanting to practice in Texas, I'd do UT without hesitation. Unless you have some dream of doing academia.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Crowing wrote:Assuming Chicago gives you nothing or close to nothing, I'd probably take UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 pm

I have slightly higher numbers than u and am likely looking at a similar decision. Right now Texas' scholly would bring me to 15k/yr in tuition.

are you from Texas? I'm wondering how insular the Texas market is as I'd be fine working in Texas, but have no prior ties there. It stings my ego/prestige-whoreness, but i'd prob take full ride at UT over sticker at non-HYS assuming the Texas market is open to UT grads even if they aren't from Texas prior to school.

grapefruits

Bronze

Post by grapefruits » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:55 pm

The only dream I have is to work in the SG's office, hence why I want a clerkship.

grapefruits

Bronze

Post by grapefruits » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 pm

untar614 wrote:I have slightly higher numbers than u and am likely looking at a similar decision. Right now Texas' scholly would bring me to 15k/yr in tuition.

are you from Texas? I'm wondering how insular the Texas market is as I'd be fine working in Texas, but have no prior ties there. It stings my ego/prestige-whoreness, but i'd prob take full ride at UT over sticker at non-HYS assuming the Texas market is open to UT grads even if they aren't from Texas prior to school.
I'm from NY. I just like the state/Austin. I've heard conflicting accounts on Texas firm
hiring. That being said, I would only want to work in a firm
If I couldn't get a government job.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:10 pm

grapefruits wrote:
untar614 wrote:I have slightly higher numbers than u and am likely looking at a similar decision. Right now Texas' scholly would bring me to 15k/yr in tuition.

I'm from NY. I just like the state/Austin. I've heard conflicting accounts on Texas firm
hiring. That being said, I would only want to work in a firm
If I couldn't get a government job.
Oh, nice. I'm originally from NY too, though I've been elsewhere for a while. I'd probably be looking at clerkships and possibly PI, but I know that's not something to count on as a given. Wondering if the NY-origin and lack of texas ties would be held against us at texas firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Use the $75k from UVA, $120k from Cornell and full ride from Texas to see if Chicago will give you some money. At the very least that $75k from UVA might make them give you some. If Chicago doesn't give you anything, I think UVA is the way to go here if you already have ties to TX.

Chicago threw an extra $40k my way after they saw my scholarships last cycle.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Use the $75k from UVA, $120k from Cornell and full ride from Texas to see if Chicago will give you some money. At the very least that $75k from UVA might make them give you some. If Chicago doesn't give you anything, I think UVA is the way to go here if you already have ties to TX.

They threw an extra $40k my way after they saw my scholarships last cycle.
Pretty sure, based on the response to my question, s/he has no ties to TX.

What schollys did u show UVA to get that extra money out o them?

MatMat

New

Post by MatMat » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm

grapefruits wrote:The only dream I have is to work in the SG's office, hence why I want a clerkship.
Just FYI, the past two SG's in Texas are UChicago grads (James Ho, who's now at Gibson Dunn, and now Jonathan Mitchell). If you get involved in the Texas Law Society/FedSoc there are some well established pipelines into the Texas legal market. Assuming you do well enough grades-wise, faculty/alums will go to bat for you for 5th Cir. clerkships. Every year we send 2-3 1L's down to the SG's office, for spaces that are basically reserved for UChicago students.

Not saying that UofC's necessarily the right choice, but worth considering.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm

If you don't have ties to Texas I'm not sure that UT is the best choice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

grapefruits

Bronze

Post by grapefruits » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:14 pm

untar614 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Use the $75k from UVA, $120k from Cornell and full ride from Texas to see if Chicago will give you some money. At the very least that $75k from UVA might make them give you some. If Chicago doesn't give you anything, I think UVA is the way to go here if you already have ties to TX.

They threw an extra $40k my way after they saw my scholarships last cycle.
Pretty sure, based on the response to my question, s/he has no ties to TX.

What schollys did u show UVA to get that extra money out o them?
UVA offered me the scholly over the phone. I think he low-balled me though.
MatMat wrote:
grapefruits wrote:The only dream I have is to work in the SG's office, hence why I want a clerkship.
Just FYI, the past two SG's in Texas are UChicago grads (James Ho, who's now at Gibson Dunn, and now Jonathan Mitchell). If you get involved in the Texas Law Society/FedSoc there are some well established pipelines into the Texas legal market. Assuming you do well enough grades-wise, faculty/alums will go to bat for you for 5th Cir. clerkships. Every year we send 2-3 1L's down to the SG's office, for spaces that are basically reserved for UChicago students.

Not saying that UofC's necessarily the right choice, but worth considering.
Another user PM'ed me a similar anecdote, which is making me think that U of C is a fine choice given what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the posts, everyone.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Ghost93 wrote:If you don't have ties to Texas I'm not sure that UT is the best choice.
Is it really that severe? Would Texas firms really not take you seriously as a prospective due to not having prior ties to texas despite going to the top school in the state? even if you were above median? top third? top quarter?

In Texas is it more of an issue of Texas pride than thinking ur a flight risk? Not relevant to OP, but I'm considering texas, and my parents may move to texas within the next few years.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

untar614 wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:If you don't have ties to Texas I'm not sure that UT is the best choice.
Is it really that severe? Would Texas firms really not take you seriously as a prospective due to not having prior ties to texas despite going to the top school in the state? even if you were above median? top third? top quarter?

In Texas is it more of an issue of Texas pride than thinking ur a flight risk? Not relevant to OP, but I'm considering texas, and my parents may move to texas within the next few years.
I disagree. The only time I saw texas ties bar OOS students was for 1L summer. Basically, if you do well enough to get a 1L firm job, you've also done well enough to bolt for the coasts or go back home. So they are hesitant. For OCI, I don't know anyone that struggled from a lack of ties.

Edit: to clarify, I'm an OOS student.

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Reading through the employment forums it just seems like people have had a tough time cracking Texas w/out ties, not that it's impossible.

But I don't really know, just something to consider.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 pm

untar614 wrote:

Does above median with Texas ties even get Texas big law at UT? At the risk of drawing many people's ire, I think you might be overstating UT's placement power within its own backyard. Only something like 35ish percent of UT students get big law and prestigious clerkships.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm

BigZuck wrote:
untar614 wrote:

Does above median with Texas ties even get Texas big law at UT? At the risk of drawing many people's ire, I think you might be overstating UT's placement power within its own backyard. Only something like 35ish percent of UT students get big law and prestigious clerkships.
Yes above median can get big law in texas. 35percent ish can get big law, but that doesn't mean it's the top 35%. The closer you get to median, the more personality seems to play a big part.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:
untar614 wrote:

I wasn't stating anything, I was asking a question. I'm trying to get a sense of placement for UT grads without Texas ties.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”