Any advice is greatly appreciated Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do I do?

UCLA (sticker)
7%
Boston (20k/year)
9%
W&L (20k/year)
2%
Emory (18k/year)
2%
Indiana-Bloomington (full ride + stipend)
43%
June re-take for negotiation
32%
Waitlist options at sticker
5%

Total votes: 56

bk1

Diamond

Re: Any advice is greatly appreciated

Post by bk1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:36 pm

locluke02 wrote:One thing that is NOT an option is sitting out another year and re-taking to enhance my chance of admission to more schools or going through another application cycle period. I am 25 now, and I cannot teach another year. I need something new. And law school is what I need.
You realize there are a whole host of things other than continuing as a teacher or going to law school? Get another job, actually study for the LSAT, retake/reapply.

I cannot seriously believe that anyone thinks that being 250k in debt and/or having poor job prospects is what they "need."

locluke02

New

Post by locluke02 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks for the additional feedback. I will study for the June LSAT. Seems like the intelligent thing to do regardless of whether or not I'd reapply next cycle.

I think I can score 167-172. If so, maybe it does make more sense to re-apply and go do something I've always wanted to do but never did for a year.

Also, on the poster's advice to call and simply ask the admissions offices what I need to increase my scholarship...is this credited?

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:57 am

Refusing to retake the LSAT, with the fact that you have not studied the amount that everyone says you should + a 3.85 GPA + TFA is incredibly dumb. Honestly, break 170 youre in play for every school, 174 is pretty much an auto-admit to H, and will net you serious money in the lower (and higher) t-14's (im talking about possibility of a Hamilton/Ruby, and def a Darrow and Mordecai invite) if you are debt averse. The worst thing you can do is go to Law school NOW when by simply retaking and breaking 170 your chances of every type of law (from big law to clerkships) increase dramatically.

To be blunt : Suck it up, study your ass off till june, take the June exam, get an amazing lsat, enjoy serious money at t-14's or enjoy HS, possibly even Y.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 am

locluke02 wrote:Thanks for the additional feedback. I will study for the June LSAT. Seems like the intelligent thing to do regardless of whether or not I'd reapply next cycle.

I think I can score 167-172. If so, maybe it does make more sense to re-apply and go do something I've always wanted to do but never did for a year.
This is the best thing to do OP. One year is not that long, and it can and likely will make all the difference in the world in your long term job prospects. Many people have waited a year and seen amazing results. Check out the LSAT forum for some study tips and guides to the LSAT. Its a learnable test, and probably the most important one you'll ever take. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”