Vandy or UGA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zachljones

New

Vandy or UGA

Post by zachljones » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:02 pm

I want to stay and practice in the Southeast (would not mind working in Atlanta) and am currently at UGA for undergrad. I have been admitted to both Vandy and Georgia and have been offered scholarships to both ($20,000/year at Vandy and $10,000/year at UGA). I will have zero debt from undergrad and going to Georgia Law would also allow me to graduate with little to no debt due to financial assistance from my family. My question is: does Vandy provide enough of an advantage to take on the 30k/year in debt or am I fine sticking with UGA and graduating (presumably) debt-free?

Thanks!

Aawaldrop

Bronze

Re: Vandy or UGA

Post by Aawaldrop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 pm

zachljones wrote:I want to stay and practice in the Southeast (would not mind working in Atlanta) and am currently at UGA for undergrad. I have been admitted to both Vandy and Georgia and have been offered scholarships to both ($20,000/year at Vandy and $10,000/year at UGA). I will have zero debt from undergrad and going to Georgia Law would also allow me to graduate with little to no debt due to financial assistance from my family. My question is: does Vandy provide enough of an advantage to take on the 30k/year in debt or am I fine sticking with UGA and graduating (presumably) debt-free?

Thanks!
There's a lot to go into the decision, one aspect would be, what do you want to do with the law degree?

Secondly I would check out the employment opportunities at the two institutions using lawschooltransparency.com

zachljones

New

Post by zachljones » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:11 pm

I would love to have the ability to clerk and then move on to public interest and advocacy work, with the eventual goal of wanting to teach (in whatever capacity that looks like). However, I am not completely averse to working for a firm for the training and experience that it would provide. Because my future goals are somewhat up in the air, the ability to graduate without debt seems somewhat freeing in that I wouldn't be "forced" into a firm if I wanted to do something else. Does that make sense?

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:14 pm

I'm attending UGA, but if I were you I would still choose Vandy.

Aawaldrop

Bronze

Post by Aawaldrop » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:18 pm

zachljones wrote:I would love to have the ability to clerk and then move on to public interest and advocacy work, with the eventual goal of wanting to teach (in whatever capacity that looks like). However, I am not completely averse to working for a firm for the training and experience that it would provide. Because my future goals are somewhat up in the air, the ability to graduate without debt seems somewhat freeing in that I wouldn't be "forced" into a firm if I wanted to do something else. Does that make sense?
I think that makes sense. I think Vanderbilt will ultimately give you the most options and significantly better in firms and clerkships over UGA. Debt is scary, but since it might stay relatively low (crazy people with 200k+), I would advise Vanderbilt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:23 am

I think Vandy for 90k is reasonable if you want to work in the southeast. Biglaw becomes nearly non-existent at UGA.

However, if you want to teach in the long-term (as in a tenured professor position) I would highly advise gunning for as high up the T14 you can get. Retake and reapply if you have to. This being said, if you want to do clinicial or adjunct work, then Vandy might be ok.

zachljones

New

Post by zachljones » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:44 am

Nonexistent even in Atlanta (which is where I would most like to be)?

Looking at T14 schools, I have been wait listed at UVA. I'm assuming with everything I have said in mind, UVA--even at sticker--takes the cake over either of these opportunities?

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:48 am

zachljones wrote:Nonexistent even in the Atlanta (which is where I would most like to be)?
UGA puts 9% of their graduates into biglaw. I'd wager most of those are in Atlanta, but that's a tiny sum. Meanwhile, Vandy puts over 30% into biglaw with another 10% into federal clerkships.
zachljones wrote:Looking at T14 schools, I have been wait listed at UVA. I'm assuming with everything I have said in mind, UVA--even at sticker--takes the cake over either of these opportunities?
I'm not sure UVA at sticker is a better option than Vandy with 90k, especially if your goal is to do PI in the medium-run. I would be surprised if that 90k didn't cause UVA to throw some money your way for scholarship negotiation purposes.

zachljones

New

Post by zachljones » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:50 am

Valid points. Serious thanks for the replies, I've obviously got some things to consider during the next few weeks.

Best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

peeonyou

New

Post by peeonyou » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:42 am

Vandy is a much better choice than UGA here, because you will be able to get back to Georgia and they'll prob go deeper in the class.

I go to UVa, and I would take 90k at Vandy over sticker. It's just not a big enough drop. Vandy is about as far from UVa as UGA is from Vandy.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:41 pm

This is tough. If your goals were only to get into public interest and advocacy in GA, I would say take UGA and run. But adding clerking and academia into the mix is much harder. Here is the thing, though: if clerking and academia are your goals, you really need to go to HYS or maybe CCN. Those are the only schools that make that a realistic possibility. Sure, Vandy is better than UGA for clerking, but even at Vandy your chances for clerking are not good, so I don't know that it makes sense to choose on that basis. Chances for academia out of either are extremely low. Thus, I would arrive at the conclusion that it is better to take UGA for free rather than taking Vandy for 90K (and interest) for a better, but still very low, chance at clerking and a non-existent chance at academia. If you decide you really want those things, you will need to retake and reapply.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”